Choose style:

Author Topic: Ebuyer now featuring HP's Ubuntu Laptops  (Read 7248 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Ebuyer now featuring HP's Ubuntu Laptops
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 12:52:54 pm »
But where would LInux Mint, or even us for that matter, be without Ubuntu? 

Exactly where we are now.....

Linux != Ubuntu ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 12:54:06 pm »
So Mint isn't well known ?

Well known in the Linux world maybe but that's not the target is it ? at this point in time I don't think they could sell these things to Linux users but just ask yourself where would be Mint be without Ububtu and where would Ubuntu be without Mint (unless you're suggesting Mint Debian edition

It'll make no difference how big the name is if people take one look at it and think "if the UI is as stupid as the one I want to get away from, what's the point".

Does the Ui really have to work like Win98 or XP to be popular millions of people are turning to smartphones to do their computing these days and they have an entirely different UI from a traditional PC without an issue

You don't think HP are doing this because they suddenly like Linux

of course i don't but there has to be some other reason and I'll admit I don't know what it is but I'd put money it's not because they don't like Win 8 Ui

I just think Mint would sell better to Win8 refugees, who IMHO are the target market.
You're probably right but they might be looking into the future and the convergence Unity offers with the Ubuntu phone

Graeme

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 12:59:22 pm by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 12:54:18 pm »
Hi AndyInMokum and rjm65,

My understanding is that Ubuntu Unity is attempting imitate Apple, perhaps trying to draw in the Apple crowd --that is has a Mac-like, or Apple-like, interface.  Now keep in mind, I've never owned an Apple computer, but I've heard there are similarities between Ubuntu's Unity DE, and at least one of Apple's DEs.  (I don't know how many DEs Apple has.)

This is all from reading.  I have no real-life experience to back up what I am saying here.  And I would think it would be a dumb thing to go after Apple niche market anyway, but maybe I'm wrong about this too.*  Who knows?  I just can't see the Apple folks migrating over to Linux.  These people like to pay big bucks and then flaunt their stuff!  ;D

perknh

*Strangely enough, Chromebooks are doing a good job of taking on the MacBook Air.  One of Samsung's Chromebooks favors the MacBook Air a great deal.

Example:

http://www.amirkurtovic.com/blog/can-the-samsung-chromebook-compare-to-the-macbook-air-it-depends/
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:24:03 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 12:59:38 pm »
but just ask yourself where would be Mint be without Ububtu and where would Ubuntu be without Mint (unless you're suggesting Mint Debian edition

See my last response

do you think all the people (and their work) who contribute to Ubuntu would not exist if Ubuntu didn't ?

Of course they would .. they'd just be doing it elsewhere.

Well known in the Linux world maybe but that's not the target is it ?

So Ubuntu *IS* well known in the Windows world ? .. I guess I was wrong then and ebuyer have no need for the feature page ;)

In truth NEITHER are known to Joe Average until they go-a-lookin, or it's stuck under their nose by someone like Ebuyer/HP/Dell .. and they could have chosen ANY distro to promote.

Does the Ui really have to work like Win98 or XP to be popular

Apparently YES .. see the Win8 sales figures  :o and look at M$ backpeddling.

they might be looking into the future and the convergence Unity offers with the Ubuntu phone

If Win8 has proven anything it's that neither users or retailers give a flying **** about convergence .. it's purely a dev driven dream.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:11:56 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2015, 01:15:28 pm »
Isn't it funny how Ubuntu used to be the best Linux OS, or at least the most user friendly one, but they make a few bad decisions here and there and it's become the scourge of the Linux community?   I think it's funny anyway.  Of course, that doesn't stop plenty of enterprising Linux developers from using its base to create other distributions.  ;)

No matter how bad their base distribution gets, Ubuntu still holds a special place in my heart because Ubuntu 9.10 was my first Linux crush.  It was the one that got me thinking I could ditch Windows entirely and switch to something like that.  And, even though I don't run Ubuntu anymore, I almost exclusively run Linux based off of it.  I've tried the .rpm side, but I can never get as comfortable with the Red Hat commands as I can with the Debian .deb commands, especially the ones used in the more user friendly Ubuntu derivatives.

Though, having said that, if I got one of these computers, I would remove Ubuntu and put Peppermint on it.  ;)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2015, 01:21:57 pm »
do you think all the people (and their work) who contribute to Ubuntu would not exist if Ubuntu didn't ?

Of course they would .. they'd just be doing it elsewhere.

No they'd be doing it everywhere a little bit here and a little bit there Cannonical has galvanised the Linux desktop into something or a brand that  joe public can relate to and begin to trust, that's my point the vast majority look at the brand before the product how do you think Apple get away with selling the junk they do at the prices they sell them at, it's because some people don't care what the product is so long as it bears the right logo

Look I'm not a Unity/Ubuntu/Cannonical fan in fact my first foray into Linux was Ubuntu and I loved it but when they switched to Unity i hated it so much I  almost went back to Windows but was rescued by Mint but let's be fair Unity has improved since then and it's still far better than Win/Metro

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2015, 01:23:58 pm »
Look I'm not a Unity/Ubuntu/Cannonical fan in fact my first foray into Linux was Ubuntu and I loved it but when they switched to Unity i hated it so much I  almost went back to Windows but was rescued by Mint but let's be fair Unity has improved since then and it's still far better than Win/Metro

Yeah, Unity was a killer for a lot of people.  Fortunately, my uncle had already told me about Mint, so I'd been using that and I'd already found Peppermint by the time they switched to Unity as their main interface.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2015, 01:31:11 pm »
Is this only me, or am I right in concluding that Linux Mint Cinnamon edition is Linux' improved take on Windows 7?  The two OSes appear quite similar on the surface.  I don't think this all came about accidentally .
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:44:28 pm by perknh »

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2015, 01:44:30 pm »
Is this only me, or am I right in concluding that Linux Mint Cinnamon edition is Linux' improved take on Windows 7?  The two OSes appear quite similar on the surface.  I don't think this all come about accidentally . :-\
When Unity came to be I found Mint like everyone else, and when i came across a computer that would not run mint the mint forum told me to try peppermint antix and puppy, well antix worked on that particular machine it had a funky video card that pepermint 4 would not even start up, then i found peppermint 3 and that worked on it as well...  sorry for the long wind but what I was trying to say was not being able to run XP anymore on certain machines made me gravitate toward linux, and when ubuntu failed me switching to unity which 99% of said machines did not have enough power to even run it, I was forced to go towards lighter versions...  even if that was not the case, I still hated unity and could not bring myself to install it for others because I knew i would be getting phone calls daily how do i do this and that, and I just went with LXDE and peppermint for people cause it was the easiest for xp users to grasp and comprehend with a few minutes of showing them where things were and what they were named... 
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2015, 02:11:19 pm »
I have plans to install Peppermint 6 on an old XP computer next Tuesday.  Knock on wood, but the owner of the this old XP is a Chrome user --and only Chrome.  If I don't have to downgrade anything, I'm going to bring her right over to Peppermint and to Chromium.

I believe her computer is an HP --but a desktop.  But we all share the same belief here; be they laptops or desktops, with rare exception, Peppermint belongs on every one of them!  I don't think this woman will have difficulty going from Windows XP to Peppermint 6 either, and I believe her computer will be a lot happier with a Peppermint 6 conversion too.  :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 02:16:22 pm »
Chromium is essentially the same browser as Chrome, just without the Google branding and other enhancements, such as the flash plugin.  However, they act and "think" the same.  Though, if that person doesn't want to use Chromium, Chrome is a simple download away.  You can get 32 or 64 bit .deb or .rpm packages easily on their download page.  Plus, installing it automatically adds the repository for updates.  :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 02:27:05 pm »
Launchpad - now there's the main reason others base on Ubuntu .. you've gotta give em that one :)

But Linux would be here with or without them .. and it's impossible to say if they've advanced Linux or held it back.

All you can really do is say it like it is in the moment .. Ubuntu certainly used to be a unifying force in Linux, they're now more and more viewed as the  disruptive one.

But let's be realistic . Linux != Ubuntu .. Linux would still have the same amount of people working on it if Ubuntu had never existed .. and if they disappeared tomorrow, sure it'd cause ripples (big ones) but Linux would adjust quickly, that's what it does best.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 02:29:42 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2015, 02:30:14 pm »
Hi scifidude79,

I've taken PCNetSpec's word to heart, and with the safe exception of wallpapers, I try very much to do everything from our repositories, or the command line.

Now, I confess,  I don't really know what a deb file is, but I believe I get a warning whenever I go to download one.  Now, I'm pretty sure that in google.com I'm in a very safe download environment.  And the thing I like about Google is that it always has up-to-date flash.

Now his woman --a senior citizen, and owner of this old XP computer-- is a confirmed Chromeiac.   And I wan't to make things as user-friendly, and comfortable for her, as possible.  I have wondered, in this particular case, which would be the better way for me to go --Chromium or Chrome.  :-\

Thank you,

perknh

@PCNetSpec

Quote from: PCNetSpec on Today at 02:27:05 PM
But let's be realistic . Linux != Ubuntu .. Linux would still have the same amount of people working on it if Ubuntu had never existed .. and if they disappeared tomorrow, sure it'd cause ripples (big ones) but Linux would adjust quickly, that's what it does best.

Graveyards are full of indefensible men.  Might the bowels of cyberspace one day be full of indispensable Linux distributions?

We all know that, one day, there will be a special place in Hell for Windows.  It will spend eternity surrounded by computers, tablets, smartphones, etc. that will all be running Linux OS! ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 03:24:54 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2015, 02:36:04 pm »
in this particular case, which would be the better way for me to go --Chromium or Chrome.

In nearly every case CHROME :)

We only use Chromium out of the box for licensing reasons

just be sure to download the .deb package directly from the Google website.
https://www.google.com/chrome/#eula

be sure to get the .deb version for your achitecture .. then double-click the downoadeed fle to install.

it will then be kept up to date automagically

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2015, 02:38:43 pm »
in this particular case, which would be the better way for me to go --Chromium or Chrome.

In nearly every case CHROME :)

We only use Chromium out of the box for licensing reasons

just be sure to download the .deb package directly from the Google website.
https://www.google.com/chrome/#eula

be sure to get the .deb version for your achitecture .. then double-click the downoadeed fle to install.

it will then be kept up to date automagically

Really, wow!  Will do!  ;)