Choose style:

Author Topic: Ebuyer now featuring HP's Ubuntu Laptops  (Read 7242 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Ebuyer now featuring HP's Ubuntu Laptops
« on: June 13, 2015, 05:44:49 am »
Over the last few weeks I've started to receive email marketing flyers where some of the online retailers are advertising 3 laptops that result from HP's foray into Linux.

But now Ebuyer (probably the biggest UK online tech retailer) are now making a FEATURE out of them
http://www.ebuyer.com/ubuntu

Add that to Dell no longer hiding their Ubuntu PC's on a page you'd only ever find if you were actively searching for it and things are looking up.

It seems Wn8 did make manufacturers and retailers look elsewhere, it just took a while for it to filter through (probably whilst they still had Win7 PC's they could sell) .. problem is it took *so* long it's liable to get drowned out in the Win10 push .. let's hope not.

I'm not sure Ubuntu is the smart choice here though, people didn't like Win8 because of its UI so why offer a replacement that also has a weird UI .. wouldn't Mint or even Peppermint have been a smart choice ? .. then you could make a point of it NOT being Win8 like.
I'm pretty sure if you stood a Win8 PC (Metro UI) next to a Mint/Peppermint PC (normal menu bottom left) people would have gravitated towards the Mint/Peppermint layout .. this doesn't apply to Unity which is equally alien.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Ebuyer now featuring HP's Ubuntu Laptops
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 06:11:09 am »
Yup, Peppermint Six would have been the ideal choice.  Failing that, Linux Mint Cinnamon or MATE.  Both of these distros have a familiarity that Windows refugees will appreciate.  Ubuntu's Unity desktop is too heavy to be a prime representative of the Linux computer experience.  The Unity user interface is too alien for the cynical nOOb coming from Windows.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 06:12:52 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 06:34:05 am »
Yep, Ubuntu with Unity is a bit of a weird choice .. specially when you consider these PC's ARE an OEM reaction to Win8  :-\

Maybe it's as much a "hey Microsoft there are other options if you don't listen to us" as a "hey customers, here's a viable alternative".

Then again it may just be that the HP bigwigs don't understand Linux and think Linux = Ubuntu
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 06:36:16 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 06:48:59 am »
Hello Gentlemen,

I'd like to see something like this in the United States.  Unity is heavier for sure, and call me a cynical blankety blank if you want, but what is ebuyer.com still doing working with Ubuntu 12.04 --getting rid of old stock while aware of the lack of appeal of Windows 8 also?*

Still, if they move out quickly, might ebuyer see the light and keep asking for these, and other devices with GNU/Linux installed?  Peppermint 5 or 6 would help would help that 4 GB laptop move right along.

Hope springs eternal**. ;)

perknh

*I'm unaware of this company.  Maybe getting rid of old stock is what it does --sort of like our eBay over here.

** It's tough to compete with Chromebooks.  Some boot up in 7 seconds, and you never have to update a darn things.  But, currently they sure have weaknesses too. (Notice how I cowed away from one with my last purchase.)  They are tough to boot from a flash drive.  (Supposedly one can do so it you learn some trick.)  And adding Ubuntu is a royal pain, and Skype, and getting Skype to work with Ubuntu is a real PITA, or pity.  Chromebooks have their limitations -- that's for sure. 

And this opinion is coming from a non-power user at that!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 06:50:49 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 06:59:08 am »
Ebuyer don't put the OS on .. they're purely an online retailer .. probably akin to your newegg (?)

It's HP that are doing the PC's:
http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=6732470#!tab=models
so it's probably them that chose 12.04

I was drawing attention to the fact that not only are the OEM's now doing Linux boxes, but the retailers seem to be putting a little effort into the push too (hence the FEATURE page, as opposed to the normal tiny mention in the regular listings)

Maybe there's a possibility Ebuyer bought some old stock from HP .. or Maybe P only do em with 12.04 .. who knows, as the HP site doesn't mention it

One other thing about the HP site .. doesn't it p*ss you off when they actually charge MORE for the privilege of having a free OS ::)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 07:02:47 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 07:11:33 am »
One other thing about the HP site .. doesn't it p*ss you off when they actually charge MORE for the privilege of having a free OS ::)

Yes, I've noticed that for sometime now, and it infuriates me!  >:(

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 07:14:36 am »
I'm a little confused about the Ubuntu version here anyway....

It "SAYS" Ubuntu 12.04

But ALL the images are showing the 14.04 Wallpaper  :-\

Typo maybe ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 07:21:56 am »
Maybe they pulled up some old write up, and just ran it --not knowing about Ubuntu's release schedule.  I bet they are 14.04s!  :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 07:25:55 am »
Sounds about right to me .. bit worrying though  ::)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 11:42:05 am »
Don't you think it's more to do with the company behind the desktop than the desktop itself

whether we like it or not Ubuntu is the flagship Linux distribution and Unity is their flagship desktop, Ubuntu is a brand and we live in a brand-centric world that's just how it is

by choosing Ubuntu they'll have the backing of a big company whose name is becoming ever well known and who I've no doubt will bend over backwards to make sure these laptops are successful

I don't think it's all about the best operating system for the job it's about brand awareness and the important thing to me is that Ubuntu is a brand people are slowly becoming aware of

and in time people will become aware that there is more to ubuntu than unity

Yes i agree these laptops would be better running Peppermint but the fact there running Linux is a giant leap for mankind

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 12:22:46 pm »
So Mint isn't well known ?

It'll make no difference how big the name is if people take one look at it and think "if the UI is as stupid as the one I want to get away from, what's the point".

You don't think HP are doing this because they suddenly like Linux .. they're doing it because they're p*ssed off with Microsoft .. I just think Mint would sell better to Win8 refugees, who IMHO are the target market.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 12:26:10 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 12:29:05 pm »
Don't you think it's more to do with the company behind the desktop than the desktop itself

whether we like it or not Ubuntu is the flagship Linux distribution and Unity is their flagship desktop, Ubuntu is a brand and we live in a brand-centric world that's just how it is

Yes, I do believe this.  I actually discovered Linux through stumbling upon Peppermint's website.  And, I went months (yes, months!) reading over and over Peppermint's claims --that it was free, supported, and was virus free...etc.  And, although I wanted all of this to be true, I was very, very skeptical with the claims being that were being made.  After having using Windows for a while, these claim are all very hard for a person to believe. 

So, when I did take the leap to Linux, I did so by purchasing a flash drive from OSDisc.com --which had Ubuntu 12.04 installed.  And, there, I noticed there was no Peppermint OS for sale!  :-\  I didn't know what was think about this, so I started with Ubuntu.  After this, I learned how to install Peppermint 3 on a flash drive by myself, and after this I learned how to check MD5 sums with a check sum tool --still my favorite way of checking them.

Now most people say that Linux Mint is overtaking Ubuntu.  But where would LInux Mint, or even us for that matter, be without Ubuntu? 

I have to agree with emegra here.  For the average person who has heard about Linux --Ubuntu is the first name that comes to mind.  And, although, I'm deeply empathetic to my friends here who have personally  experienced the the painful history behind Ubuntu's Unity desktop,  Ubuntu Unity, in all honesty, really is a snap to use.

Although Peppermint, for the average user would be a better overall experience , Ubuntu Unity is not a bad OS on which to begin for a Linux newbie.

P.S.

I was writing when PCNetSpec posted.  I will admit Linux Mint, Cinnamon edition, is the most like Windows 7 of any Linux distribution I have ever seen --but since I removed Window 7 from our two computers here, you probably can guess that we're not too crazy about Windows 7 in this house.

Would Linux Mint be a better Linux intro distribution for people coming from Windows 7?  I have to say, "Yes!"  Is it better known than the word Ubuntu?  I still don't think so.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 12:39:02 pm by perknh »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 12:42:55 pm »
So Mint isn't well known ?

It'll make no difference how big the name is if people take one look at it and think "if the UI is as stupid as the one I want to get away from, what's the point".

You don't think HP are doing this because they suddenly like Linux .. they're doing it because they're p*ssed off with Microsoft .. I just think Mint would sell better to Win8 refugees, who IMHO are the target market.
I agree with you.  If HP had to use Ubuntu.  They could easily have used Xubuntu, Lubuntu or the MATE spin, (I'll leave Kubuntu out of the equation) with much better effect.  Instead they're going to foist the goony googoo crap that's Unity on first time users.  Most of the nOObs are going to tar all of Linux with that first impression.  I personally think using Ubuntu with Unity for their flagship Linux computers, is a small shuffle forward and two large hops backwards  :(!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 12:43:23 pm »

I have to agree with emegra here.  For the average person who has heard about Linux --Ubuntu is the first name that comes to mind.  And, although, I'm deeply empathetic to my friends here who have personally  experienced the the painful history behind Ubuntu's Unity desktop,  Ubuntu Unity, in all honesty, really is a snap to use.

Although Peppermint, for the average user would be a better overall experience , Ubuntu Unity is not a bad OS on which to begin for a Linux newbie.

I have to disagree here, Unity is the wrong choice if you plan on grabbing windows users... 
Unity may be a snap for you to use but as soon as Unity came out most of ubuntu users went to other distros to escape unity!
Now that windows has seen the light, if you notice in windows 10 the task bar and start menu have returned again, so now it is should i go with windows 10 which is kinda sorta like the windows xp vista and windows 7 I am used too, or should I try this linux with unity desktop that looks like the failed windows 8 which nobody likes?
what do you think most windows users are going to do given that choice?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 12:45:20 pm by rjm65 »
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 12:49:04 pm »
Hm, I wonder how much shipping to the US is.  ;)

I'd like to see something like this in the United States.

The problem with that being, when US retailers have tried to offer computers with Linux, somebody from M$ has shown up and threatened them.  (true story, you can do a web search to verify this)  I guess they don't have that kind of pull over in the UK, probably because M$ is a US company.  I don't know how they have that kind of power in the US with its antitrust laws, but somehow they do.