Author Topic: Left-Handed Mouse Setup & Possible Problems  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Left-Handed Mouse Setup & Possible Problems
« on: June 12, 2015, 11:41:29 am »

Hi everyone,

I happen to be left-handed and set my mouse so that the so-called "normal" actions of the left button and the right button are exchanged. The setup to get a so-called left-handed mouse can, depending on the distribution you select, range from "easy and reliable" to "impossible" !  ::)

In Peppermint 6 we have the Peppermint Control Center that can be used to achieve this setup. It is found in the main menu of the panel in the Preferences section.

Once you have started the Peppermint Control Center go to the tab named Keyboard & Pointer. There you will find a check-box with the label Left handed button layout in the section titled Pointer options. Putting a check in this box gives you a left-handed mouse -- at least in theory, and sometimes in practice.  :P

The problem, however, is that any changes that are later made in the program named Customize Look and Feel that is also found in the Preferences section of the main menu of the panel can cause your terrific left-handed mouse to revert to being a demonic right-handed mouse!

Beside the fact that this is obviously discrimination of a highly intelligent, creative and sensitive minority by an ... mmmhh ... let us be benevolent and say average majority, it is also a real PITA.  >:(

To make matters worse, I have had problems (not always, but on some devices where Peppermint 6 has been installed) going back into the Peppermint Control Center, where BTW the check-box for Left handed button layout is STILL checked!!  :-\

Sometimes the solution is to simply uncheck the box and then recheck it and everything is OK. Other times this "solution" only remains a solution until you logout or reboot, and the next login finds a dastardly right-handed mouse has taken over your desktop! In such a situation, I have had success by doing the following:

Open a terminal session by pressing the keys <Ctrl><Alt>t together (or by going into the main menu of the panel and selecting, near the bottom, the item cryptically named Terminal) and entering the following (NOTE: spelling and capitalization are VERY important -- not only here, but everywhere in Linux and on your curriculum vitae / resume):

Code: [Select]
gedit ~/.config/lxsession/Peppermint/desktop.confthen press the ENTER key.

In the file that opens in the text editor go to the section named

[Mouse]

that is probably near the end of the file. Make sure the line that starts with LeftHanded looks like this:

LeftHanded=1

If it does not look like this but reads

LeftHanded=0

then change it to

LeftHanded=1

then save the file and close the text editor. For me this change takes effect immediately after saving the file.

If you find that the file already reads

LeftHanded=1

but your mouse is right-handed, then I am not sure what you can do. You might try changing the 1 to a zero, saving the file, then changing the zero back to a 1 and saving the file. If this all does not work then please report this back here in the forum.

That's the end of this tutorial for left-handed justice, peace for all humanity and free beer for (left-handed) Peppermint 6 users.

Regards,

-- Slim  8)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 04:06:45 am by Slim.Fatz »
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Left-Handed Mouse Setup & Possible Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 02:45:56 pm »
I'm not suffering this problem  :-\

Oh wait .. I'm right-handed.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 10:50:20 pm »
Well that is definitely not a Linux problem !! I think it is an OEM thing ...   :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 03:23:43 am »
OK after looking into this it seems there are 2 problems here

a) that (as you say) lxappearance is modifying ~/.config/lxsession/Peppermint/desktop.conf whenever used .. possibly in line with a default it the theme somewhere ?
(I'll see if I can figure out why)

and

b) the way the peppermint-control-center displays what the setting in ~/.config/lxsession/Peppermint/desktop.conf is .. effectively it doesn't. it decides what its last setting was.

there's little we can do about (a) it'll be an upstream bug and unlikely to get any attention there with them switching to Qt
and
fixing (b) seems a little pointless as it can't change (a) so the problem would still persist, it'd just be reflected better in the control-center

as you said .. toggling the setting twice in the peppermint-control-center then returning it to left-handed should theoretically work (but try to leave a second or two between each toggle)
as would running:
xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1"or to return to right-handed
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3"not an ideal workaround but you could make a launcher to run that command.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 03:27:13 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 09:45:51 am »
Hi everyone,

Thanks go out to PCNetSpec for looking further into this -- and for providing a few additional tips. It didn't occur to me to wait a couple of seconds when unchecking and then re-checking the box for Left handed button layout in the Peppermint Control Center tab for the Keyboard & Pointer settings. I also completely forgot about the use of xmodmap which, in the past, I frequently needed to use with other WMs.  :-X Just getting a little slow as time goes by ...  :P

Regards,

-- Slim