Choose style:

Author Topic: Gaming in Linux Doesn't Suck!  (Read 2222 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Gaming in Linux Doesn't Suck!
« on: June 16, 2015, 01:51:03 pm »
I've been a big proponent of gaming on Linux over the years.  I think it's a great thing and I say there's nothing you can do in Windows that you can't do in Linux.  However, one of the most commonly held misconceptions about Linux is that gaming in Linux sucks.  I've seen the comments online:

“You can't game in Linux”
“You can only get old, crappy games and indie titles on Linux”
“OpenGL can't compare to DirectX”
“Games don't run right on Linux”

To those people I say:  SHADOW WARRIOR!

(left click on images to enlarge in a new tab)

Oh my goodness, this game is freaking fantastic.  Beautiful graphics, awesome game play and it runs like a dream on my Peppermint OS 6 desktop.  These shots were done with the graphics settings on High.  A few things could have gone higher (Ultra) but I don't know if my 5 year old Nvidia card could handle it.  However, with these settings, it runs very smoothly.

The “just to prove this is really running on Peppermint OS” screen shot:

I dare anybody running Windows to get the game looking any more beautiful than that.  It can't be done.  In fact, you could do a Pepsi challenge and put a Windows gamer down in front of two computers, one running a top of the line Windows gaming system, the other running a top of the line Linux gaming system with this game running and I'll bet they couldn't tell the difference.  This game is a shining example of what is possible gaming with OpenGL on Linux.

Note:  This is a very violent game, so I kept my screen shots PG rated and didn't show any action.  However, take my word for it, the blood is just as lovely as the rest.  ;)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Gaming in Linux Doesn't Suck!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 02:08:35 pm »
That looks like a wicked game.  Games on Linux really have come on leaps and bounds in the last few years.  There is no reason why any game can't be played on a Linux box with the right hardware and drivers.  The rest is just getting the vendors to get their act together.  It's crazy too, Linux is a growth market for them.  I just treated myself today with Portal from the Steam Summer Sale - €2.49 thank you very much, I'll have some of that.  It runs great on my Fujitsu Siemens  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Gaming in Linux Doesn't Suck!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 02:12:21 pm »
Ooh, I love Portal.  Fantastic game.  That was my very first game on Steam, a gift from a friend.

Though, oddly enough, I have the second one on the XBOX 360.  (The Gamestop Power Up Rewards price was better than PC.)

Yeah, Shadow Warrior is wicked.  Lots of fun.  Best sword combat I've ever seen in a game.  I wish I could run it in Ultra mode, but I don't think my graphics card could handle it.  But, I'm just happy the graphics card still works.  I'm not one of those people who upgrades just for the sake of upgrading.  ;)