Choose style:

Author Topic: GRUB Question (resolved)  (Read 1676 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
GRUB Question (resolved)
« on: June 20, 2015, 12:24:59 pm »
Hey all,

I have a quick question concerning GRUB.  For some reason (likely, because it's how they've always done it) the entire GRUB using world hasn't switched to GRUB2 yet.  I don't know why, it's quite nice.  I personally prefer it to using the original GRUB.  Anyway, last time I tried, it was a bit tricky to get GRUB2 to boot GRUB1 partitions and impossible to do the opposite.  They way you used to be able to do it was to edit the 40_custom file in /etc/grub.d and add a custom menu entry to boot the GRUB1 distribution (necessary because the two GRUBs number partitions differently) and then run sudo update-grub in a terminal.  After doing all of that, you could boot the GRUB1 partition using your custom menu entry.  However, I seem to remember that, somewhere along the way, this stopped being possible because of changes made to GRUB2.

So, my question is, does anybody know if this was ever sorted?  Is it possible to boot GRUB1 partitions with GRUB2?  The reason I ask is, I have a distro that I'm running on VirtualBox that I'd like to put alongside Peppermint to see how it runs on real hardware, but it uses the older GRUB and I want to make sure I can boot it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 01:58:37 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: GRUB Question
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 12:44:05 pm »
Hi scifidudy79,

I have a nice customization of GRUB2 and probably had the same problems as you are now facing -- back when GRUB2 was quite new. Sorry but I have forgotten the steps needed to make the two harmonize and have no idea about the current situation. I avoid distros that are not using the new, improved GRUB2.

Can you not install GRUB2 (probably by using some repository other than the default one) on your distro in question?

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 01:10:23 pm »
Yeah, I can always take a look.  I think there was something about GRUB2 in their release announcement, I wonder how much of a PITA it is to install.  I shall investigate.   8)

Edit:  Yeah, it looks like I can choose a different bootloader during installation.  That's probably where I can select GRUB2.  I'll give that a shot.  Thanks, Slim.  :)

https://doc.mageia.org/installer/5/en/content/setupBootloader.html
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 01:13:27 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 01:17:14 pm »
Hi scifidude79,

Glad to be of (at least a little) help to you! I f the installation of GRUB2 works, it is surely the best way to go.

Regards,

-- Slim

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: GRUB Question (resolved)
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 02:01:38 pm »
Yeah, it looks like it worked beautifully.  I hit the drop down menu on Drake Install and selected GRUB2 With Graphical Menu and installed it on my / partition for Mageia.  I just ran sudo update-grub in Peppermint 6 and it found the partition.  So, I'd say it looks like a complete success.  I'll boot it in a minute, but I don't anticipate any problems, which is why I marked this resolved.   8)

Thanks for the great suggestion.  I was trying to make this a lot harder than it had to be and you talked me off of the ledge.   ;D

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
Re: GRUB Question (resolved)
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 02:46:39 pm »
Cool  8)

Regards,

-- Slim