Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 6 Review by Linux Help Guy  (Read 13400 times)

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64bit
Peppermint 6 Review by Linux Help Guy
« on: June 09, 2015, 08:40:19 pm »
There is a nice review by Linux help Guy of Peppermint 6 on Youtube at .
Sorry if I didn't post the url properly.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 12:20:44 pm by PCNetSpec »

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Peppermint 6 Review by Linux Help Guy
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 09:02:42 pm »
Score!   ;D

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 09:04:06 pm »
I'd say you did OK on the URL, we can see the video.   ;D

One point I don't agree on:  I wouldn't go as far as to say it's *not* good as a Win7, 8, 10, etc. replacement.  However, experiences will vary.  If you want something with the same look and feel of those newer systems, certainly Ubuntu or Kubuntu would be better fits.  However, if you don't need all of that, it can certainly replace those systems.  It can definitely replace XP. In fact, as he said, definitely get it, install it and don't look back.  Nobody should be running XP anymore for ANYTHING.  Too high risk.

One thing I definitely like about his review is that he gets it.  Too many people focus only on the cloud side of Peppermint and don't even mention that it's good for older and slower systems, which is (I think) one of Peppermint's biggest strengths.  However, he pointed that out.  Finally, a reviewer gets it.

Anyway, nice review, thanks for sharing.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 04:54:56 am »
The apply button .. THE APPLY BUTTON .. hit the apply button damnit

really liked it up until about the last minute .. I've replaced lots of Win7 installs with it, and would do so again in a heartbeat.

OK maybe I'm biased but I'd have done so with pretty much any of the Peppermints .. sure, not for "looks", but if that's all you use an OS for you need help.

He "got" the cloud/local thing which I'm impressed at, what he missed was if "looks" is what you're after Peppermint is as customisable as any Linux, we don't do it out of the box because
a) we wanna be light OOTB
and
b) it's then the USERS discretion how much bling and weight they want to add.

What I'd like to know is:- As the LINUX help guy, does he suggest ANY Linux distro as a replacement for Win7/8/10 ? .. and if so, what do they do that Peppermint can't ?

I don't mind anyone who comes up with real criticisms, in fact I welcome them so we can improve .. what I'm less impressed with is blanket statements like his Win7 thing without an explanation .. what the heck are WE supposed to take from that, let alone the viewer/user ?

Great review right up until the blanket unexplained comment at the end .. pity, I thought the guy had our vision nailed, then SLAP, face meets palm.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 04:58:56 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 05:29:29 am »
I was also yelling at the screen, HIT APPLY, HIT APPLY - FOR GOD'S, HIT APPLY ;D.  I was also very disappointed with the inaccuracy of the summation.  I did leave a comment thanking him for the review.  I also mentioned that one of my Peppermint Six machines originally had Windows 7 on it and it runs like a rocket.  The comment about gaming was a little confusing.  He did try and correct himself, albeit rather clumsily.  Unfortunately, the review was conducted using a flippin' VM.  I do wish reviewers would stop doing that.  This review is a prime example of the unsuitability of the medium.  All the fiddling around gives the wrong impression to people who have no idea what a VM is  - Grrrrr  >:(!!.   He was about 85% of the way to fully understanding what Peppermint is all about.  I think we can balance out the faults with the enthusiasm he showed towards the distro.   All in all, it was a positive, albeit a slightly flawed review  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 05:43:49 am »
I must say though after searching for the guy on youtube, I'm mighty impressed that he's not just doing a single review of Peppermint, he's doing a series of them .. and even has our wallpaper on his youtube channel header (pleasant surprise) :)

His YouTube channel channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZJGcgeKADhL0uVscQ25Sxg

Peppermint 6 Episode 2 - The Real World
(on metal, not a VM :) )

Left-click the launcher .. LEFT-CLICK THE LAUNCHER .. left-click the desktop launcher damnit :)

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 05:49:03 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 & P9 Respin w/4.18 kernel
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 07:41:02 am »
One point I don't agree on:  I wouldn't go as far as to say it's *not* good as a Win7, 8, 10, etc. replacement.

I agree, Peppermint 5 and 6, in my opinion are both considerably better than Windows 7.  In my house we've replaced Windows 7 with Peppermint 4, then we moved to 5 and now 6.  We did try Windows 8, and, yes, it's pretty.  But Peppermint is much more user friendly.  And, we've also had more than our fair share of AVs.  One thing is for sure:  We don't miss them!

Is Peppermint 6 always a replacement for Windows XP?  No!  Not always. (It depends on if the old XP computer can any longer handle Chromium/Chrome software.  Sometimes it can't.)   But this said, I suspect the Linux Help Guy is correct most of the time.  I have replaced XP on one friend's computer with P5, and it's running so well that I'm leaving the darn thing alone.  And probably within a week I'll be replacing another XP installation with Peppermint 6.  I'm waiting now for the Peppermint 6 stick to arrive in the mail. 

Yeah, we're going to install Peppermint 6 on that old XP computer, and we're going to do it the classy way this time!   ;)

All and all, that was a good review.  It moved right along --as quickly for me as two shakes of a lamb's tail!  :)

Thank you, jlschwartz, for posting that.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 09:23:16 am »
If anyone agrees with the guy about the stripes in the menu and left panel in nemo (and oddly I do) .. try this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11876059/Peppermix-Dark_remove-stripes.zip
I assume it's self explanatory where the files go, but if anyone gets stuck .. just ask

I may change this to default in the respin when it comes .. unless people disagree ?

Here it is on my netbook with the stripes removed:-

(click image to enlarge)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 09:39:00 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 12:25:08 pm »
Mark,
You should look at episode 3 as you have made linux help guy a convert.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:48:07 pm by PCNetSpec »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 12:29:01 pm »
I'm glad he's doing more reviews, because I was thinking that he didn't really touch on anything more than installation and the basics.  He didn't even try out the web, package management or how it does running programs, which I'm assuming he does in later videos.

really liked it up until about the last minute .. I've replaced lots of Win7 installs with it, and would do so again in a heartbeat.

What I'd like to know is:- As the LINUX help guy, does he suggest ANY Linux distro as a replacement for Win7/8/10 ? .. and if so, what do they do that Peppermint can't ?

Yeah, that was the part I really didn't like either.  I was like "wait, what?"  I like Peppermint way better than Win7 and I'm not even going to talk about how much contempt I have for 8 and why Peppermint is 1,000 times better than it.  It seemed like the review was going so great until then.  I too would like to know what he considers a "suitable" replacement for Win 7, 8 & 10 and what he thinks they can do that Peppermint can't.

The only thing I can think of is he's thinking of giving users a more familiar desktop environment with all of the bling that Win7 has (or, as I call it, useless fluff) which KDE would be closer to, and that stupid tablet interface that Win 8 has, which Unity or Gnome-shell would be closest to.

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 12:34:55 pm »
I like it better without the stripes as well.  Can you provide a little more detail on how to do this for us noobs?  Thanks.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 12:49:33 pm »
I'm not a fan of the stripes either.  (I'm glad JLschwartz mentioned that, since I missed it the first time ;))  I think they're ugly and they can be distracting.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:04:21 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 01:38:43 pm »
OK to remove the stripes .. open a terminal and run these commands in sequence:
Code: [Select]
cd /
then
sudo wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11876059/Peppermix-Dark_remove-stripes.zip
then
sudo unzip -o Peppermix-Dark_remove-stripes.zip
then
sudo rm -v Peppermix-Dark_remove-stripes.zip
now log off/on .. and you're done.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 02:39:57 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 01:42:45 pm »
Mark,
You should look at episode 3 as you have made linux help guy a convert.https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5V2SnwQf2MM

Nice :) .. thanks for linking that third video.

Stripe removal instructions above ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 01:44:41 pm »
Stripe removal instructions above ;)

Yeah, you don't want to do it how I did it.  I accidentally removed the theme.   :o  I didn't realize you didn't include all of the files necessary for the theme, so I just tried replacing the existing folder with the one you supplied.  Oops.  (no big deal, I'm going to boot up the Live CD here in a bit and copy what I need back over)