Author Topic: fsck NOT HEALTHY after crash and reinstall [Resolved]  (Read 3777 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: fsck NOT HEALTHY after crash and reinstall
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 01:59:08 pm »
No, don't do ti from te updaate-manager .. we'd need t downgrade both the kernel and thee xorg stack, I can walk you through it, I first just wanted to know fi you wanted to ?

and if you DO want to, I need for you to tell me if you know how to select a particular kernel to boot from the GRUB menu ? .. if not we'll have to go through that first as you're going to need to manually bot into the 3.13 kernel as part off the instructions

so can you confirm you know how to access the GRUB menu, then boot an earlier kernel ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Ten
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 09:12:43 pm »
No, don't do ti from te updaate-manager .. we'd need t downgrade both the kernel and thee xorg stack, I can walk you through it, I first just wanted to know fi you wanted to ?

and if you DO want to, I need for you to tell me if you know how to select a particular kernel to boot from the GRUB menu ? .. if not we'll have to go through that first as you're going to need to manually bot into the 3.13 kernel as part off the instructions

so can you confirm you know how to access the GRUB menu, then boot an earlier kernel ?

Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner, I have tried a few things. SHORT VERSION: The kernel regression idea. P5 failed as well, though it seated properly on boot up. Currently have CentOS 7 with its 3.10 has lasted longer than P5.

I think the PROBABLE  CAUSE why the iBUS appeared on P5 as well, was after adding Google Chrome, then edited ICE to accept GMail to https;//mail.google,com, very soon afterwards iBUS appeared, used your code to kill it, but it kept coming back. Killed it, rebooted, kill, reboot. I'm thinking if I ever do add Chrome again I'll have use https://mail.google,co.uk address, as that does come in English not American.  ;)

I gonna wait a week or so before putting P5 or P6 on my other machine as this is my workhorse with CentOS 7 and LMDE 2 for my studies, its proved reliable and its older.  8)
“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”

Various machines to sample the delights of Linux

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 10:00:36 pm »
Nah chrome/chromium wouldn't install ibus .. in fact I'm not sure it IS ibus, as when we checked it came back as not installed so I'm a bit confused what it is.

Anyway, good luck with CentOS :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Ten
Re: fsck NOT HEALTHY after crash and reinstall [Resolved]
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 06:25:53 am »
Thanks for the help PCNetSpec, apart from the issues we discussed, the motherboard had other problems, notably the Southbridge was missing. Though a new install was able to remap, The graphics had become bitty and slow.

Bought a new computer, and have P5 installed. Nice to be back  :D
“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”

Various machines to sample the delights of Linux

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: fsck NOT HEALTHY after crash and reinstall [Resolved]
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 06:56:46 am »
Thanks for the help PCNetSpec, apart from the issues we discussed, the motherboard had other problems, notably the Southbridge was missing. Though a new install was able to remap, The graphics had become bitty and slow.

Bought a new computer, and have P5 installed. Nice to be back  :D
It's great to see you're back in the saddle again  ;).  Do you know that Peppermint Six is the most recent release?  It's based on the Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS.  I think it's far more refined and better balanced compared to Peppermint Five.  Saying that, if Peppermint Five is working for you.  There's nothing stopping you from hanging on to it  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.