Choose style:

Author Topic: Dell's affordable Ubuntu-powered Inspiron laptops take aim at Chromebooks  (Read 16103 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Okay, Scifidude 79,

I hate online shopping, but it's where you get to see everything.  So now, to complicate matters even more, I just stumbled across this little baby.   This one's looks interesting too, and it's real unknown!  ;)

Do you think I could put Peppermint 6 on this little netbook?  The processor seems poor, do you think it would move like mud?  On the other hand, it says it's already running Linux --linpus Lite?  Linpus Lite!  I never seen this distribution at DistroWatch!

Wikipedia article on Linpus Lite --even has some nagware included!  :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linpus_Linux

It does look interesting.  I would hope it would give me less of a fight when installing Peppermint 6 than a Chromebook.  And, yes, I have wrestled with a Chromebook before!  So far the Chromebook has won ever round when it came to installing Peppermint 5 on it.  :-[

Now more homework.  Now, I really know nothing about what I'm looking at here.  ::)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Aspire-V5-131-2887-11-6-Celeron-847-1-10GHz-4GB-RAM-320GB-HDD-Linux-Laptop-/231577698497?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35eb1b40c1

$40 more, weaker processor, but with some sort of a preinstalled Linux OS.  Now, it's between this one and the Acer Chromebook!

perknh

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:39:41 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
http://www.linlap.com/acer_aspire_v5-131

about the only things I can find that might need some tweaking on the v5-131 range  is possibly the backlight and the card reader (both of which *may* be ok now)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Hello PCNetSpec,

I hope I have chosen wisely here.  I paid a little more for this than the Acer Chromebook, but I'm hoping it will be more compatible for a Peppermint 6 installation than a Chromebook. 

We'll see.  I've got a feeling that this thing is built very sturdily.

Shopping online is not always easy.  Many thanks to you, Scifidude 79, and to everyone for all of the help and support I've gotten here.  ;)

perknh

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 10:24:43 am by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Fingers crossed but I think you'll be fine .. as soon as you loose Linpus.

The  Acer Aspire One netbooks came with "Linpus Lite" out of the box and that was god awful .. in fact it was the reason I came looking for a light distro and found Peppermint.

I think the version on that will be a much newer and changed version, but it's still liable to have the plug pulled on support pretty much without warning as was the AA1 version .. IMHO it's not well supported and has always been known for giving people headaches.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
PCNetSpec, I promise you I have zero interest in Linpus Lite.  I want to put Peppermint 6 on that machine  With few exceptions, such as veggie (who is simultaneously gaining both star status and infamy around here*), we're all invested in Peppermint.  What I want a light portable device on which I can bring Peppermint with me when I go to public places which have Wi-Fi.  That is my one goal here.

I'm knocking on wood that Peppermint 6 is just what the doctor is ordering for that machine.  But I won't be taking any chances either.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed too!  ;)

perknh

*Personally, I look forward to veggie's annual visits and commentaries.  It's becoming a tradition around here!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 10:51:13 am by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
*Personally, I look forward to veggie's annual visits.  It's becomming a tradition around here!  ;D

I see you have masochistic tendencies perknh :o

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
 ;D

By the way, does anyone have a take on the Acer Aspire V5-131 Video Review?  They took all the page info down after I made the purchase, so the video is about all we have to go on now.   How I had wished I had copied that page.  I'm assuming this will be a 32-bit computer.

I found this little Linux computer this morning.  And, when I saw that five people were viewing it, I snatched it up quickly.

perknh
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 10:52:16 am by perknh »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Hi perknh, try this YouTube video.

I think you've bought yourself a cracker of a Netbook with this one.  It's not going to breath fire.  It's not designed to do that.  Sling Peppermint Six 32-bit on it and It's going to blow some seriously impressive smoke rings  ;)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Nope, Celeron 847 is definitely 64bit .. so you can use either a 32 or 64bit OS:
http://ark.intel.com/products/56056/Intel-Celeron-Processor-847-2M-Cache-1_10-GHz

and the original ebay listing is still thereed .. you just have to click the "see original listing" link (top left) .. or use thsi direct link (then scroll down the page a bit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Aspire-V5-131-2887-11-6-Celeron-847-1-10GHz-4GB-RAM-320GB-HDD-Linux-Laptop-/231577698497?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35eb1b40c1&nma=true&si=Qm9oDAnagxNV%252F7LYWxsBPZ4UtEw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
What I want a light portable device on which I can bring Peppermint with me when I go to public places which have Wi-Fi.  That is my one goal here.

My real-world job(s) require that I travel around the USA from time-to-time.  I've successfully used Peppermint on 100's of WiFi spots.

The only 'fail' I can recollect was in Houston, on a SOTA AT&T system.

The prob wasn't with Peppermint (nor a hardware issue).  It was a janky kernel.  On my mobile devices, I run the latest low-latency mainline kernels - the 'latest' meaning RCs. 

In the case of Houston (yes, we have a problem), it turned out to be a 'dev branch' kernel problem.  Once I found a hardwire connection (in the hotel's business center) I was able to download and install a regular repo kernel, and all was well.

Just saying...   ;)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Yes, that should run Peppermint just fine.  My ASUS laptop with a 1.0 GHz dual core and 3GB RAM runs it just fine.  That has a 1.10 GHz dual core and 4 GB RAM.  So, it's a bit more powerful.  Personally, I'd recommend using 64 bit Peppermint on that, but then I don't use 32 bit at all anymore.  In my humble opinion, the whole world should be 64 bit now, but you can't get some software makers to convert or even start doing 64 bit versions of their software.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Thank you everyone. 

I'm not experiencing buyer's remorse yet.  I'm taking that as a very good sign.   ;)

perknh
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 12:23:35 pm by perknh »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
I'm not experiencing buyer's remorse yet.  I'm taking that as a very good sign.   ;)

Those, my friends were famous last words --words that were soon to be proven wrong!

The Acer Aspire V5-131 is a beautiful machine to look at.  It has a handsome black color, and because of its large battery, there's a comfortable, and attractive, ergonomic slope to the keyboard.  And, Peppermint 6, with it's handsome dark looks, is a spot-on perfect visual match for the machine.  Also there's an Ethernet port where one can do one's work without worrying about its replaceable battery.  These are all winning points for this notebook computer.

Now, on the other hand.  The Wi-Fi stinks, and is easy to lose any weak connections you may get.  Also the volume is rotten --very low, and of poor sound and voice quality too. 

So who is this computer for?   Well, in my opinion, it's for a kid with naturally good hearing --for a kid who also has access to relatively stable Ethernet port and ISP.

So now, if I were given a choice between an Acer C-720 Chromebook, or an Acer Aspire V5-131, I, personally, would have to give up the rugged, handsome aesthetics of the Acer Aspire V5 and go for the Acer C-720 Chromebook.  The graphics on both are about the same.  Old 1980s movies on both screens look the same --which means sometimes pretty lousy.

So do I have any buyer's remorse now?  Well, for my needs, what for what I wanted it for --yes!  (Oh, how I wish it would work as well as my wife's Chromebook!  :() Could it make a good surprise gift for a grandchild in grammar school.  You bet!

When, and if, I get the wind for it again, I intend to go back to my old focus of learning how to Peppermintize a Chromebook.  If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, we're going to have to learn how to do this anyway.  If we want to stay in the GNU/Linux game, the arena of the Chromebook is a good place to be playing right about now! ;)  I say this because I believe Windows is slowly, but surely, going bye-bye.

Anyway that's my take on the Linux Acer Aspire V5-131 notebook in comparison to the Acer C-720 Chromebook.  Where it counts most, good, solid sound and stable Wi-Fi connectivity, the Chromebook beats the Linux Acer Aspire V5-131 notebook hands down.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Hi perknh, that's a real shame.  I really thought you we going to have a winner there.  The two little Acer Apire One's I recently bought are gems.  They were originally built to run Linux.  I can't remember it's name.  It was an version built by idiots for idiots but it was still Linux  ;D.  A lot of people swapped it for the lighter 'buntus or Mint and they ran great.  You can imagine how they run with our lovely lightweight Peppermint Six installed.   I have the A110 version and I rebuilt an A150 as a gift for my sister.  I upgraded the RAM to the max of 1.5 GB on both of the machines.  I also swapped out the original 120 GB HDD for a Kingston 120 GB SSD on the A150.  They both have great WiFi.  No fiddling around needed.  The internal speakers are surprisingly loud and clear for their small size.  When I plugged the machines into a set of Logitech speakers with a sub-woofer.  They sound great.  So I can't complain about the audio output. 

The little single core Intel Atom 1.6 Ghz processor chugs along quite merrily.  The A150 with the tweaked SSD is pretty spritely for what it is.  Peppermint Six seems to be a near perfect fit for these models of Acer.  I really suggest you keep an eye out for this model of Netbook.  Especially the A150.  I picked both of them up for a paltry €40 each here in Amsterdam.

Microsoft killed these little gems when they bullied Acer into shipping them with Window XP.  This made them sluggish and the added cost of the Windows license fee, made them too expensive to be considered a viable low cost computer.  I've even seen them for sale with, Windows 7 installed as an XP replacement,  instead of doing the obvious.  These must be real dogs to use.  It's again the the case of, "it won't run Windows, (something it was never designed to do) it must be dead".  The solution is there for the taking.  The majority of people don't even consider the obvious though.  There must be loads of them for sale on your side of the pond.  I can't praise these little gems enough  ;).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 03:50:24 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline mattosensei

• Linux with 'L' plates
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
The little single core Intel Atom 1.6 Ghz processor chugs along quite merrily.  The A150 with the tweaked SSD is pretty spritely for what it is.  Peppermint Six seems to be a near perfect fit for these models of Acer.  I really suggest you keep an eye out for this model of Netbook.  Especially the A150.  I picked both of them up for a paltry €40 each here in Amsterdam.

How come the Netherlands is suddenly so cheap for electronics? Most things there are expensive. That netbook is over £100 here second hand.   ???

PS Fully agree with you re: great combination is netbook + linux. I have a Samsung NC10 and I'm going to upgrade it from PM5 to PM6. My mother has a Samsung netbook also which is now unuseable due to horrendous slowdown with Windows (I think XP, I forget). Am going to put PM6 on that too  :D

I also have 2x SSDs, one of which I was given a while back which is in my desktop (the 128 GB). But I have a 256 GB in my old i5 Toshiba laptop which is old and runs very hot now, which I think I will take out, put in desktop, and switch the 128 from the desktop to the netbook. That really should help speed it up  ;D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 04:23:28 am by mattosensei »