Choose style:

Author Topic: Dell's affordable Ubuntu-powered Inspiron laptops take aim at Chromebooks  (Read 16290 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Dell's affordable Ubuntu-powered Inspiron laptops take aim at Chromebooks

by Chris HoffmanChris Hoffman | @chrisbhoffman
PCWorld

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2931974/dells-affordable-ubuntu-powered-inspiron-laptops-take-aim-at-chromebooks.html

It might be worth reading some of the comments below the article too.  Heating issues with Dell laptops? I don't know.  Still, I read this article as good news for Linux; and I can easily see one of these less expensive laptops becoming the perfect home for a Peppermint 6 installation!  ;)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
You said it .. in fact someone ought to tell Dell that Peppermint would not only perform better but would be more familiar to Windows users.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Well the first thing I would do would be to wipe the hard drive 10 times, to make sure that unity is gone forever, then i would probably run mint 17 cinnamon...  :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Yeah Peppermint would be perfect on that laptop

I've always wondered why a company like Dell with all it's resources don't run their own custom Linux distro that way they would have more control of hardware and software kinda like Apple only open source

makes me wonder if they're really serious about Linux or only dabbling in it to drive a harder bargain with Microsoft

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
This certainly isn't the first time Dell has dabbled in selling laptops with Ubuntu.  The last time, you were hard pressed to even find them in their online store.

Peppermint would definitely be a better choice for that laptop, but most big name OEMs are afraid to stray from a name that a lot of people at least know or have heard.  Good luck running Unity on Intel HD graphics, though.  At least it doesn't require 3D support anymore, 'cause Intel graphics don't have it.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Micofrost are 'pretty much' giving away Windows 8.1 (with Bing) to OEM's as it is .. dunno how much more of a hrd bargain you can drive than that ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
I seem to be a Dell Latitude fanboi, these days, and I'm not really partial to Inspirons.  However, I must say, I'm jealous as hell about that alphanumeric keypad.   :P

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
I am being offered 10 for free bud...  pops up everyday on win 7 task bar upgrade to win 10 for free...  :P
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Sure, you can get Win 10 for "free," the only cost is your privacy.  It comes with Cortana built in, Cortana "learns about your computing habits."  Sounds like spyware to me.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
The important thing here is that GNU/Linux is finally coming preinstalled on affordable laptops.

[EDIT]

No, guys, let's stay with Linux on an affordable computer:  It's a safer bet all the way around. [EDIT] We must consider supporting Dell in this endeavor!  ;)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 03:33:46 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Hm, things just got kind of weird.  I'm not saying I don't like it, I'm just saying it got weird.   ;D

I always like seeing stuff like this, Linux coming preinstalled on affordable laptops, even if it is Ubuntu.  Hopefully, Dell will treat them better than they have their past Ubuntu laptops and give them their proper place in the featured store pages, as opposed to making people who want to buy them hunt all over the site for them.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
This is a good thing, if it's played right and if it comes to fruition.  I have to ask this though.  Are Dell going to offer the different flavours of Ubuntu pre-installed?  Or is this a deal Mark Shuttleworth has struck up with Dell, in an attempt to again foist the Unity desktop onto an unsuspecting public?  Call me a cynic if you want.  I think this may be the motivation.  If this is the case, the project is probably doomed to failure. 

I'm also interested in how Ubuntu is going to be installed.  These laptops are going to be shipped with a 500 GB HDD as standard.  There's plenty of disk space to incorporate a decent partition table with a mounted DATA partition as standard.  In my opinion, this would be the prudent course of action.  Considering Ubuntu's goofy 9 month release cycle.  Unless they offer the LTS release as an installation option.  Unfortunately, I think Ubuntu will be installed on the HDD with the generic installation.  For many seasoned Ubuntu users.  This will drive them nuts because they'll have to reinstall it, partitioned for longevity.  They'd be better off getting a vanilla machine from the start.  The nOOb or non-techy types at the end of nine month, will probably abandon Ubuntu and Linux all together as too awkward to maintain and upgrade.  They'll just sling Windows 7 or Windows 10 on their machines; legally or pirated. 

Although the Ubuntu/Dell partnership initially sounds like a great idea.  On closer inspection, it's full of potential pitfalls.   One has to remember that Windows for the majority of people is synonymous with computing and because they've used it for years; it's the best thing since sliced bread.  This type of public sentiment, right or wrong.  Only creates an uphill battle all the way for anything seen as a potential usurper of the Microsoft crown. 

I think lack of forethought, poor implementation and marketing will probably generate unfavourable press and play straight into Microsoft's court.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong because it's a wonderful opportunity to infused a positive Linux message into the public consciousness  ;).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 02:13:56 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
Considering Ubuntu's goofy 9 month release cycle.  Unless they offer the LTS release as an installation option[...]

These links might help...

LINK #1:  http://linux.dell.com/

Dell partners with Red Hat, SuSE and Canonical, and so most of our efforts are focused on these distributions.

LINK #2: http://pilot.search.dell.com/linux

Ubuntu Linux 14.04 SP1

Looks like it's Ubuntu 14.04 SP1, Andy   :D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:51:27 am by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
WTF is SP1 ? .. 14.04.1 maybe (?)

Must they refer to it in Windows terms ::)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
LoL  :D

The Apple (ahem) doesn't fall far from the tree...