Choose style:

Author Topic: Dropping to a shell INITRAMFS error - when rebooted after OS 6 install (SOLVED)  (Read 8384 times)

Offline Shalom

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
Hi, I need some help on this please. I just did a fresh install of Peppermint 6 over 5 (which I really like and had been working perfectly on my Asus EEE). I downloaded Peppermint 6 by torrent, put it on USB stick with Unetbootin. Booted from USB, installation proceeded fine and completed.

Problem is this: when I rebooted I got only a GRUB 2 screen with a choice for 1) Peppermint GNU/Linux or 2) Advanced options for Peppermint GNU/Linux. If I select either I get a screen that says:

Gave Up waiting for root device Common Problems: - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline) - Check root delay= (did the system wait long enough?) -Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?) - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/2f6e0014c-ba0e-42b4-456315ca456a does not exist. Dropping to a shell!
BusyBox v1.21.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.21.0-lubuntu1) built in shell (ash) Enter help for a list of built-in commands. (initramfs) _

I've tried making a fresh ISO direct from the website, putting that on USB stick and rebooting from USB, but it doesn't install. I really have no idea how to fix it, and meanwhile my netbook is dead! I tried to Google this, and see lots of stuff, but all very complex using commands. I'm willing to try, but I'm a beginner and I'd really appreciate someone to guide me.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 04:13:31 am by PCNetSpec »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Hi Shalom,

Do not fear, we have some Asus EEE experts here and they will get back to you. In the meantime please give us some more information by following the steps below.

Boot Peppermint from the live USB stick, open a terminal window and enter this command:

Code: [Select]
inxi -F

exactly as I have written it, then press the ENTER key.

Now copy the output and paste it into a message back here in the forum. Then the experts have lots of information about your Asus EEE and can help you more quickly and precisely.  8)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
As Slim.Fatz (and Douglas Adams) said .. DON'T PANIC! :)

Looks like the UID of the partition changed sometime between GRUB getting written and the first boot.

Can you boot to the LiveCD/LiveUSB and post the output from:
sudo blkid
please.

All we need to do is point  GRUB in the right direction :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 06:33:46 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Shalom

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Wow, quick response. I'm a fan of Hitchhiker's Guide - Don't Panic is a great slogan! And I always remember to bring a towel. Will that help? My panic level just dropped to mellow.

But...When you say boot to the live USB, do you mean the download from the site called "Direct Download"? I've put that on my USB stick and tried to boot from it (after making USB device the default on my net book) and NOTHING HAPPENS. I just get back to the same screen I described in the first post ending with initramfs. So how can I get to a command prompt??

Oh, and I checked the download and the hash tag matches.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Use the USB stick you used to install Peppermint 6, which obviously worked or how did you get Peppermint 6 installed ?

Boot to that USB stick, and select "Try Peppermint" .. when it gets to the desktop, connect to the internet (so you can post back here), open a  terminal and post the output from these 2 commands:
sudo blkid
and
sudo fdisk -l
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 01:02:14 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Shalom

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
I'm not sure why, but it's not booting. Any ideas?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Try a different USB stick, and/or a different distro/version on the LiveUSB

either Peppermint 5 or Ubuntu or something.

But are you sure you're actually booting the USB stick .. it seems unlikey you'd get the same error on that too, in fact the USB stick doesn't USE GRUB as the bootloader.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 02:37:34 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline marcdutonkin

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Hello,

I did the same tests as Shalom, with the same results.

Moreover, I confirm that I succeeded in making a "bootable" USB key when using Ubuntu 15.04 instead of Peppermint 6.  ???
I tried also to use the Mutilsystem tool instead of unetbootin, and I also got an unusable USB key.

Consequently, using the binaries downloaded yesterday either directly or by torrent, It seems that it is not easy (at least) to install peppermint 6.   :-\

Offline marcdutonkin

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Whe using the 'Try Peppermint OS live' option to boot, the exact message shown on the screen by busysbox is :

(initramfs) mount : mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: No such devioce can not mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs

Regards

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
The ISO image is an isohybrid image .. have you tried writing it to USB stick with either the "dd" command, or with Mints "mintstick" tools which you can get from here:
https://launchpad.net/~peppermintos/+archive/ubuntu/p6-release/+files/mintstick_1.2.4%2Bpeppermint_all.deb

or if using Windows use Win32DiskImager:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Shalom

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Okay, as marcdutonkin suggested, I tried putting an image file on my USB using win32 disc manager and booting that. My netbook still doesn't boot. All I get is the same screen that ends in initramfs. At least it's reassuring to know that someone else is having the same problem. At least if I could get it to boot, then I could go the next step. Reminder that my asus eee was working perfectly with Peppermint 5 before the 6 install.

So, how can I get it to boot?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Does a Peppermint 5 USB stick boot ?

Or are you saying you're still getting the:-

Gave Up waiting for root device Common Problems: - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline) - Check root delay= (did the system wait long enough?) -Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?) - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/2f6e0014c-ba0e-42b4-456315ca456a does not exist. Dropping to a shell!
BusyBox v1.21.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.21.0-lubuntu1) built in shell (ash) Enter help for a list of built-in commands. (initramfs) _

so it's ignoring the bootorder set in the BIOS and not even attempting to boot from the USB stick ?

[EDIT]

Have you tried turning the EeePC  OFF

Inserting the LiveUSB stick

Turning ON the EeePC and immediately starting to hit the "Esc" key .. which should eventually bring up a boot device selection screen where you can choose to boot the USB stick.

If you don't get that option you may need to enter the BIOS (F2) and disable "Boot Booster" if it's present.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 08:58:24 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Shalom

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Okay, I've tried all the latest suggestions and unfortunately NOTHING works. Guys, Please don't tell me I've fried my Asus... Below are specifics.

Have you tried turning the EeePC  OFF 
--Yes I have, obviously, even unplugged and waited :-)

Inserting the LiveUSB stick Turning ON the EeePC and immediately starting to hit the "Esc" key .. which should eventually bring up a boot device selection screen where you can choose to boot the USB stick.
--This was exciting just because it was a different screen than I saw for boot screen in bios. Set it to boot from device... But still went to straight to grub screen!!!

If you don't get that option you may need to enter the BIOS (F2) and disable "Boot Booster" if it's present.
--Unfortunately don't see boot booster anywhere.

Does a Peppermint 5 USB stick boot ?
-- I haven't tried Peppermint 5 from USB, but did try both Linux Mint and Lubuntu to see if those would work - still doesn't boot.

Or are you saying you're still getting the:-

--YES still getting the same message above.

so it's ignoring the boot order set in the BIOS and not even attempting to boot from the USB stick ?
--Exactly that's the problem, at least the first problem I need to solve. The install of Peppermint 6 seems to have corrupted something so it won't boot from hard drive or USB!! I don't know much, but this sounds BAD.

Offline Shalom

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
I noticed that on the Grub screen, if you write "C" at the curser you can do some limited commands. Does that help at all?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Have you tried a different USB stick ? (this REALLY seems like a USB stick problem to me .. I've had loads of USB sticks that worked on one PC but wouldn't boot on an Acer Aspire One)

It sounds like it's attempting to boot the USB stick and when it can't it continues to boot from the HDD

Which model of EeePC is it ? .. HDD or SSD ?

Have you either a USB CD/DVD drive you could try a LiveCD in
or
could you fit the EeePC's HDD into another laptop/netbook .. install Peppermint .. then swap the drive back

Just a thought, but try tuning off the EeePC, removing the battery, and removing the mains adapter (so the EeePC has NO power), then press the power button to discharge any remaining power in the capacitors .. now replace the battery and mains power, and try booting to the LiveUSB

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec