Choose style:

Author Topic: MMORPGs  (Read 1622 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 8 64 bit
MMORPGs
« on: June 03, 2015, 09:30:35 pm »
Does anybody know of any good free to play MMORPGs that are available in Linux native?  (please, no Wine)  I like to play those from time to time, but all of the ones for which I have accounts are Windows or Win/Mac only.  I'd love to find a fun one for Linux.  Free to play is imperative, as I'm currently between jobs.  Also, something with a decent story would be nice, I hate RPGs with no story.  3D graphics and voice acting aren't necessary, I can handle 2D and text.  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
Re: MMORPGs
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 07:35:40 am »
Not really my thing, but how about this .. my son loved it a while back.

Champions of Regnum
https://www.championsofregnum.com/?l=1&sec=6

Or maybe The Mana World (2D)
https://www.themanaworld.org/index.php/Screenshots/2014-2015#2014
available in the repos as 'manaplus'

« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 08:32:42 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 01:30:36 pm »
I've played Champions of Regnum before.  It's not bad, but it's been a while (two or three years) and I may have to give it another go.  I don't remember how good the story was.  I'll also take a look at the other one.  Thanks a lot.  :)

I found a couple on Steam, but the user reviews put me off of them really quickly.  One looks great and, to hear people tell it, it is great... for a time.  Then, I guess you hit major bugs and the developers are really slow to fix said bugs.  I hate that stuff in games.

Offline exiled999

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 06:44:55 pm »
Don't know if your still looking for one but I can recommend ryzom. Only problem is that max level is 120 for free palyers while the max level is 200 for people with a membership but despite that the game is a bit challenging and has a huge crafting system and you can master every skill in the game so a bunch of stuff you can do without paying. Plus the graphics are good for a game from 2004. Only thing is that I don't think it really has a story though, you just run around doing whatever.

Here's a video it's from mmohuts though
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 06:53:32 pm by exiled999 »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 08:45:09 pm »
Thanks, I'll give it a look.  Old graphics certainly don't bother me.  I was playing one a while back on Steam that, while it was new, has graphics that look like they're from the Atari 2600 days.  I'm no longer playing it, but not due to that.  ;)  Though, one of my favorite RPGs (also from 2004) was just released on Linux recently, so I've been playing that again the past few days.

Offline Admiral_Smith

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 08:37:08 pm »
people can always get their friends together and make a MMORPG in their mother's basement.  Why?  Linux really does not have bleeding edge MMORPG games that use the latest technology.  It is just the way it is.  Maybe games are a second choice for most Linux developers because the bleeding edge part of the operating system is it's kernel.  Actually after a thought, it is probably more viable that a group of people in an academic institution create the MMORPG game for the Linux OS.  In this way, maybe it would count as a research project and maybe used for college credit as well.  It also goes into the idea that Linux was not really made for gaming from bottom up design.  It was meant for research and military applications.
I apologize for posting on an old thread.  I'm just getting too old and want to share from of my comments because maybe it will help someone out.