Choose style:

Author Topic: USB 3.0  (Read 1436 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
USB 3.0
« on: June 03, 2015, 09:26:44 pm »
This isn't really a question or a problem, but more of a discussion.  That's why I'm posting it here and not in the help section.  I've noticed that USB 3.0 support seems to be hit or miss in Linux distributions.  I'll give you an example.

A little while ago, I popped in the Peppermint 6 live CD to install it and I tried using my WIFI adapter plugged into the USB 3.0 port to connect to the Internet.  It saw the adapter, saw the network and yet, when I went to connect, it wouldn't connect.  (yes, the password was correct)  I switched it to a USB 2.0 port and it connected just fine.  I've had this issue in the past with other distributions, which is how I knew what was causing it.  However, in some distributions, including Kubuntu and Xubuntu 14.04, the WIFI adapter plugged into the USB 3.0 port works fine.

The only thing I can think of that causes this is a kernel issue.  I know PCNetSpec said P6 uses a newer kernel than P5 and the earlier 14.04 releases, so that's likely it.  It's just kind of weird.  It's also weird that it works sometimes but not others.  Presumably, in some kernel versions but not others, including later ones.  Has anybody else experienced this?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: USB 3.0
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 07:24:05 am »
Did it work with PM5 ?

does it work with PM6 after install (but before any updates)? .. if so it *may* be something to do with the compression used on the PM6 ISO (had to use highest compression to keep the ISO under 700MB)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 01:39:21 pm »
I can re-burn a P5 DVD and let you know about that.  It worked fine in Kubuntu and Xubuntu, so it may work.  As for after install and before updates, I can't really say because it's installed and updated.  ;)  And, no, I'm not reinstalling just to test it.  Though, on other Linux distributions where I've had this issue (PCLinuxOS, for one) installing didn't help.  I still had to use the USB 2.0 port after installation.

I did just switch to the USB 3.0 port on my current install, after updates etc., and it's connected.

Edit:  It works with the P5 LiveCD and the 3.0 port.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 02:20:52 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 02:20:14 pm »
I switched back to the 2.0 port in 6, because the 3.0 works (after installation and updates) but it takes an extremely long time to recognize the adapter and connect to the Internet.  It's almost immediate with the 2.0 port.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 02:40:41 pm »
So it's either the compression level in the PM6 ISO, or more likely a kernel regression.

at  some point I'll do a respin with all updates to date .. just not quite yet ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 04:25:55 pm »
Yeah, kernel regression is my thought too.  It's cool, my desktop has a bunch of USB 2.0 ports and only a few are being used, it's just weird.  I don't notice much of a difference in download speeds with the 2.0 VS 3.0.

The main reason I was even using 3.0 for the Internet was actually due to Windows.  For some reason, the WIFI adapter would never turn "off" (the light stayed on) when my PC was shut down using Windows 7 on the 2.0 port, but it would on the 3.0 port.  However, that's not an issue in Linux.  Another reason to stop using Windows, like I needed another one.   ;)