Author Topic: Font issues with Peppermint 6 installation  (Read 2468 times)

Offline xanadu

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6
Font issues with Peppermint 6 installation
« on: June 01, 2015, 11:35:07 am »
This is the 3rd time I've installed Peppermint 6 on this computer. Each time I seem to encounter a new issue. The main problem now is that some fonts aren't being displayed.

Instead of the tab titles and the computer temperature (in lxpanel on the bottom right), I see those rectangles. I guess I'm missing a font? I'm not even sure how this happened.

Offline xanadu

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Font issues with Peppermint 6 installation
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 11:42:52 am »
Nevermind. I decided I'm just going to install Peppermint 5. I want to get my server up and running again, I don't particularly feel like troubleshooting issues at the moment.

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 12:46:22 pm »
I'm not sure how to get the tabs above the terminal so I can't see if my install is doing the same but the temp readout on the lxpanel is fine

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 01:09:26 pm »
I'm not sure how to get the tabs above the terminal so I can't see if my install is doing the same but the temp readout on the lxpanel is fine

Graeme

Me too, no problem on either my 32-bit or my 64-bit machine.  Tabs open fine with a right click in the terminal window.  I have my Sakura open by default with a set geometry and 4 tabs:
Code: [Select]
bash -c "sakura -c 88 -r 24 -n 4"That works fine every time.  Setting the tab names is fine.  The temperature monitor is also working fine in the LXpanel for both machines.   Did you do a full post-installation update, upgrade and dist-upgrade.  Did you install the, lubuntu-restricted-extras  :-\?
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 01:33:59 pm »
Different issue every install....

To me this is a hint that either the installation media is corrupt, Peppermint 6 is exposing some kind of hardware issue, or possibly that the partitions are not being formatted during the install (including /home which may contain some incompatible configs).

The only other thing it could be is some knd of weird kernel regression, or possibly PEBCAK (though xanadu has been here before and proven himself, so I seriously doubt PEBCAK) ;)

In any case the xanadu says he's happy to go back to Peppermint 5 .. at this juncture it's pointless speculating on the cause.

If on the other hand xanadu wants to attempt to troubleshoot this .. he knows we'll try our best to assist :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline xanadu

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 11:14:21 am »
I suspect it's a hardware issue. This is an aging Dell Dimension 9100 (circa 2005). I moved from Peppermint 3 to Chromixium, and that resulted in constant hanging of the computer while idle (Chromixium works great on my laptops, though). I was going to upgrade to Peppermint 5 (which I also use on my laptop and it works flawlessly), but Peppermint 6 was being released in a few days so I waited for that.

For whatever reason, Peppermint 6 isn't playing nicely with my Dell Dimension. For this particular issue, I wonder if I did a sudo apt-get autoremove which somehow removed a system font. Peppermint 6 was also giving me issues with adding PPAs, and I would have to change the settings in /etc/lsb-release in order to download certain packages (which might also explain some of the strange problems I've encountered). Anyway, Peppermint 5 has been running fine for over 24 hours with no issues, so I'm happy to stick with it.

Thanks for all your help :-)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:20:26 am by xanadu »