Choose style:

Author Topic: Need help installing peppermint six  (Read 6081 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Need help installing peppermint six
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2015, 05:57:14 pm »
so i made the live disk and it took for ever for the loader to fill up and than once it did i waited an extra 20 minutes   and nothing
happened should it take that long for it to load up just to 'test drive' the OS?                                                                               
No, it most certainly should not.  It may be a little slower to load than a standard full installation.  Did you do an md5sum check?  It sounds like you have a corrupted download.  I would repeat the download and run the md5sum check when the download has completed  ;).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 07:18:06 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2015, 07:24:39 pm »
No downloading CloneZilla to your system is useless.  That's only useful if you are running a network of computers.  Remove CloneZilla from your system.  It's only taking up valuable space.
Code: [Select]
apt remove --purge clonezilla
You need to download the ISO independently from the CloneZilla website: http://clonezilla.org/downloads/download.php?branch=stable.  The machine you are using is a dual core 32 bit machine.  You therefore need to select the CPU architecture=i686-pae, file type=ISO, then Download.  Select your Downloads folder as the target.   When it has finished downloading, use Brasero to burn the ISO to a CD/DVD  ;).

thank you that is really helpful!!!!! ok i will go ahead and set that up now.
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2015, 07:25:35 pm »
so i made the live disk and it took for ever for the loader to fill up and than once it did i waited an extra 20 minutes   and nothing
happened should it take that long for it to load up just to 'test drive' the OS?                                                                               
No, it most certainly should not.  It may be a little slower to load than a standard full installation.  Did you do an md5sum check?  It sounds like you have a corrupted download.  I would repeat the download and run the md5sum check when the download has completed  ;).

how do i do the check?
i was thinking it may be the actual disc so i made a new burn going to attempt that again if not i will re-down it.

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2015, 07:27:02 pm »
No downloading CloneZilla to your system is useless.  That's only useful if you are running a network of computers.  Remove CloneZilla from your system.  It's only taking up valuable space.
apt remove --purge clonezilla
You need to download the ISO independently from the CloneZilla website: http://clonezilla.org/downloads/download.php?branch=stable.  The machine you are using is a dual core 32 bit machine.  You therefore need to select the CPU architecture=i686-pae, file type=ISO, then Download.  Select your Downloads folder as the target.   When it has finished downloading, use Brasero to burn the ISO to a CD/DVD  ;).

ok and once i have this clonezilla all set up on a disc what do i do from there?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2015, 07:52:06 pm »
@ iamesperambient

ok and once i have this clonezilla all set up on a disc what do i do from there?

you boot to the Clonezilla LiveCD, and use it to create a full image of your HDD and save it to an external HDD

BUT.....

If you don't know what to do with clonezilla or how to burn a CD/DVD, or how to boot from a USB stick .. and you're worried about loosing Peppermint 5, I SERIOUSLY suggest you stick with Peppermint 5 until you can get your friend to help you again ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2015, 08:59:10 pm »
This is good advice from PCNetSpec.  I've done some digging around for you to try and make this as easy as possible.  I found an archive of the Going Linux Podcast where Larry Bushey explains how to use CloneZilla.  This is an audio podcast; like a radio show.  The podcast is a few years old but CloneZilla hasn't changed much over the years.  A few more languages are supported and there are few more bells and whistles.  Everything Larry talks about is in the up to date version of CloneZilla.  Here are the links to the audio podcast and the link to the show notes with graphical explanations you can follow along with: https://ia902307.us.archive.org/26/items/glp031/glp031.ogg and http://goinglinux.com/articles/ClonezillaLive.html.  In the podcast, the section about CloneZilla starts at around 13 minutes into the show.  I hope this explains it better for you.  If you're really stuck, follow PCNetSpec's advice  ;).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 09:16:02 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2015, 05:03:28 am »
HI iamesperambient

There are many youtube tutorials explaining step by step how to use Clonezilla here's one here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr4T47_rkLw

remember you wll need an external drive equal to or larger than the HDD you're cloning (preferably larger)

Good luck

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2015, 05:07:21 am »
OK, we're not backing out of helping you and if you want to continue that's fine by us .. just be aware that there are risks if you misunderstand something someone tells you.

If you want to continue, I think the first thing to do is check the md5sum of your Peppermint 6 ISO image then get the CD burned or create a LiveUSB
(there's no point in the backup unless we can get a working CD/DVD/USB .. so we'll come back to  that later)

If you're running Peppermint 5 you should be able to right-click on the Peppermint 6 ISO and select "Calculate MD5 Checksum" .. give it a short while and it should return a long string of characters .. make sure it matches one of the MD5 hashes below

3b8dcaf0123e713fee3dd29aa6d8438c  = Peppermint-6-20150518-amd64.iso

ad3547247d29e92557e558968026110c  = Peppermint-6-20150518-i386.iso

If the string doesn't match the above, STOP NOW and let us know .. if it does, carry on below

Have you installed xfburn yet ? .. if not, run:
sudo apt-get install xfburn
you should then find it at

menu > Sound & Video > Xfburn

fire that up, and choose "Burn Image" and point it at the Peppermint 6 ISO image .. select a low burning speed, something like 8X if you're burning to a CDROM or 4X if burning to a DVD .. and let it rip.

let us know if it created a bootable CD/DVD ?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 08:01:28 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2015, 05:49:03 pm »
ive decided im going to keep 5 on this laptop. and in a few weeks buy a second cheap laptop and put 6 on it and also purchase a pepprmint 6 disk so i know its good.
this way i can keep my set up for 5 and also experience peppermint 6.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2015, 05:58:46 pm »
ve decided im going to keep 5 on this laptop. and in a few weeks buy a second cheap laptop and put 6 on it and also purchase a pepprmint 6 disk so i know its good.
this way i can keep my set up for 5 and also experience peppermint 6.

Sounds like a cunning plan :)

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation