Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint Six is now live - Let the fun begin.  (Read 12309 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
Re: Peppermint Six is now live - Let the fun begin.
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2015, 06:56:08 pm »
Hi scifidude79,

Back then I did it all with persistence, and I added Google Browser (I believe that was your idea.) and Skype too.  That was all I needed, and, although everything was little slow, Peppermint 3 usually worked fine for me from a flash drive.  :)  Then when Peppermint 4 came along my wife and I jumped ship from Windows and came over to Linux permanently.  I did full installations of P4 on our two Windows 7 laptops. Then from there we moved to Peppermint 5, and we're now here using Peppermint 6.  I have also a secondary installation on an external hard drive of Ubuntu 15.04; and with this installation of Ubuntu, I have, for the first time, the ability to gather SMART Data and conduct Self-Tests. --from the Disks tool. (Up until 15.04 SMART Data & Self-Tests had been grayed out for me on my secondary drive.)

But Peppermint 5 and Peppermint 6 are both winners.  I like Peppermint 6 better though.  It's easier for me to see if our computers are up to date, and I like the tool set better in Peppermint 6 too.  Still, there's nothing wrong with Peppermint 5.  I'm just curious which one would be lighter on system resources.  I'm guessing there's probably not much of a difference, but I'm not sure.  Peppermint 6 seems to running cooler on my wife's smaller laptop --but I'm not certain about this.

I'm always trying to help older people keep their old XP computers going --so lightness, speed, and ease of use mean a lot to me.  I stay within the Ubuntu family of things when I move them off of XP, and Peppermint is always the first distribution I choose to replace XP!  ;)

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters...
-- AndyInMokum

Offline paolo

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2015, 05:50:58 am »
thanks to you all for the warm welcome !

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2015, 02:07:43 pm »
Hot tip:  download the torrent.  A moment ago, the main site download was downloading at about 50 KB/s on my 6 Mb/s DSL, while the torrent is cruising right under 1 MB/s.  ;)  (still not top speed, but much better than the site due to the server load)

Offline XavyAir

• View Profile
    • XavyAir -Tumblr
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 6 64-bit
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2015, 06:42:40 pm »
So I have installed Peppermint OS 6, I moved from 5, hmm, there are some changes that i like and some that i don't, but I have fixed them now 

Some that I like: hmmm, new dark menu button for sure, the new terminal is nice, the new update manager is nice (good choice),  and of course it is still very fast and light, I updated from 32-bit peppermint 5 to 64-bit peppermint 6

Some dislikes: Mate power manager is way less configurable than XFCE power manager, so I replaced it, it works better for me (it had to do mainly with me not being able to disable notifications). another dislike.... the icons...really guys? it's 2015!!! lol  :P , I don't like squared icons personally to be honest, but that's the least of my concerns, works for some people ...I guess, I have the elementary icon set for now (as my preference for icons tends to change constantly) 

seriously another great release, very  minimal set of applications (something that I like in distributions), very lightweight and fast, and of course configurable to my heart's content (XFWM4 is the best choice)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2015, 07:12:50 pm »
Hi XavyAir, this's what we like to hear ;).  Happy to know you like it and happy you're configuring it the way you want it.  That's what Peppermint's all about - making it yours  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2015, 09:12:50 pm »
Woo hoo!  We finally have VLC as the default media player.  It only took 6 versions.   ;)

Seriously, I'm liking 6 so far, but not just for that reason.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2015, 02:28:47 am »
Yeah, VLC for video is the way to go.  I'm still not a huge fan of it as the default audio player.  I find Clementine 1.2.3 floats my boat on my 64-bit Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO li3710.  Yeah, it's qt.  It's still relatively light and is packed with useful features rather than just bling. 

On my little Acer Aspire One ZG5 with its colossal 8 GB SSD  :o.  I'm using the lightweight DeaDBeeF 0.6.2.  That's for some reason not in the repos.  I was really hesitant about trying it because of the lack of documentation and tutorials.  I have to say it's awesome.  It punches way above its weight.  The GUI is highly customizable and a little fiddly to do.  This is where tutorials would be very handy.  It's a minor detail though because the default GUI is very usable.  For anyone with low resources that wants a separate audio player.  I'm going to point them towards the DeaDBeeF 0.6.2 ppa I'm using.  It really cranks  8).  I'll still use VLC as my backup audio player if all else fails for sure  ;).

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2015, 03:44:00 am »
I just had a quick look a DistroWatch's Page Hit Ranking over the last 7 days.  Peppermint is number 5 on the list just below Ubuntu.

Click on Image to Enlarge

Peppermint certainly seems to be attracting a lot of interest.  Mega thanks to everyone who's checking us out - you're awesome  8).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 05:12:11 am by AndyInMokum »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2015, 06:26:02 am »
+1 what Andy said .. thanks everyone :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2015, 06:29:18 am »
+2   :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2015, 01:45:16 pm »
Congrats on the DW ranking.  While it's not necessarily a 100% accurate gauge of a distro's popularity, it is still majorly cool.   8)

Yeah, VLC for video is the way to go.  I'm still not a huge fan of it as the default audio player.  I find Clementine 1.2.3 floats my boat on my 64-bit Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO li3710.  Yeah, it's qt.  It's still relatively light and is packed with useful features rather than just bling. 

On my little Acer Aspire One ZG5 with its colossal 8 GB SSD  :o.  I'm using the lightweight DeaDBeeF 0.6.2.  That's for some reason not in the repos.  I was really hesitant about trying it because of the lack of documentation and tutorials.  I have to say it's awesome.  It punches way above its weight.  The GUI is highly customizable and a little fiddly to do.  This is where tutorials would be very handy.  It's a minor detail though because the default GUI is very usable.  For anyone with low resources that wants a separate audio player.  I'm going to point them towards the DeaDBeeF 0.6.2 ppa I'm using.  It really cranks  8).  I'll still use VLC as my backup audio player if all else fails for sure  ;).

VLC is all I use for everything.  But, that's just me.  Though, one minor annoyance about the version in the 14.04 repos is that, every time I open it, the volume is at zero.  Even if I set it to always reset to 100%, it's still at zero.  I had the same thing in Kubuntu.  Weird, but minor.  It's still my favorite.  :D

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2015, 02:30:08 pm »
is there a PPA somewhere with a later version that works ?

If so after some testing I could always copy it to the Peppermint 6 PPA as an update
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2015, 02:33:38 pm »
Hi scifidude

nice to see you back in the fold by the way :)

my prefered choice for music is Clementine and in fact I advocated for it be installed by default but the rest of the rotters wouldn't have it :)

but you're right VLC is great it plays anything AV so it was really the obvious choice for PM6

Glad you're enjoying PM6

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2015, 03:22:29 pm »
Actually VLC is remembering the volume settings for me (?)

When you first start it it's at 0 until you load a file for it to play .. then the video is where it was for the last played file.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2015, 04:11:50 pm »
Thanks emegra.  At least Clementine is a quick install away.   :)

I'm a simple person and I've personally never liked a separate app for music and video, but I understand others liking that.  VLC has been my preferred video player for 7 years because of all of the video formats it will play.  Mplayer never worked well for video for me, which is why I'm happy with the switch.  I have several gigabytes worth of Star Trek fan films on my HD and VLC plays them all.   :D

Re VLC:  I always have to turn the volume back up, even after I load a video.  It threw me off the first time it did that in Kubuntu.  I had no sound, so I turned my speakers up.  I then saw the app volume bar and turned that up without first turning down my speakers.  BIG mistake.   :o