Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint Six is now live - Let the fun begin.  (Read 11768 times)

Online emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Re: Peppermint Six is now live - Let the fun begin.
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 05:56:55 pm »
Thank you paolo

Glad you're happy with Peppermint 5 (I am too) :) But you're gonna love Peppermint 6

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 06:00:27 pm »
Hi paolo, welcome to the Peppermint Forum.  It's good to know you're happy with Peppermint Five on you EeePCPeppermint Six should run just as well on it too, maybe even better  ;)
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 07:41:47 pm »
Hi paolo, and welcome to the forum...

Happy to hear you're enjoying Peppermint .. whichever version :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 11:57:35 pm »
Hi, I'm kind of new(ish) here.  I was a member of the old forums back in the Peppermint One though Three days.   ;)

Anyway, I have a few questions.

1. Why is this new OS based on Ubuntu 14.04.2, as opposed to 15.04?  Yes, I know Canonical's stupid support cycle is only 9 months on its non LTS versions.

2. Since Peppermint Five is also based on Ubuntu 14.04, what is the point of "upgrading" to an OS based on the same version?  I mean, if I update everything in Peppermint Five on my laptop, am I not essentially running Ubuntu 14.04.2?

3. Will Peppermint Five still be supported, just in case I don't decided to upgrade?  Or is it just dropping to official Canonical support?  (I'm cool with that)

4. Please tell me what (if any) true advantages there are to upgrading to Six.

Sorry if I'm starting off a bit intense here, but this is a bit puzzling to me.  I was on DistroWatch and I saw that Six was released, but I was a bit baffled to come to the Peppermint website to see that it's based on 14.04, as opposed to the latest Ubuntu version.  So, I decided to join the forum and ask why.   ???

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 06:17:30 am »
Welcome Scifidude .. its been a while :)

OK, yeah you hit it on the head with the 9 month support thing .. Peppermint 4 was left hanging for 3 months with no upstream support right at the time of the bash bug and heartbleed, so we're not going though that again for the sake of a newer kernel (which we can get anyway) .. we're not willing to leave our users hanging and at risk for 3 months

In fact we've moved to a newer kernel and matching graphics stack anyway .. the 3.16 utopic kernel/graphics stack)  from the 14.04.2 LTS Enablement Stack .. and you can easily change to the 3.19 vivid kernel and graphics stack if you want 15.04's kernel too.
So if you can easily have the utopic/vivid kernel anyway, and software in the LTS repos tends to not lag like it used to .. what exactly is the benefit of basing on 15.04 .. to me you're just risking stability and 3 months security for zero benefit
(this may not always be the case, and will be assessed every even number Peppermint release .. if Ubuntu had moved to a whole new tech that had obvious benefits for us  we'd have gone with it .. but there was really nothing new in 15.04 that overrode the risks)

Doing this also allowed us to get a little more experimental with software choices, with the knowledge that we were already on a known solid base

Nope, no reason to upgrade if you don't find anything in the changes that interests you .. the same can be said for Peppermint 3 ;)

Peppermint 5 is still supported both upstream and here (if anything upstream causes an issue, we'll attempt to fix it . though this is highly unlikely).

Advantages to moving to Peppermint 6:
http://peppermintos.com/2015/05/peppermint-six-is-here/

Your call, but whichever you choose it's been GREAT to hear from you again my friend  :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 06:22:31 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline donwatson

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 06:28:19 am »
Should I use the Direct Download or would I be better waiting for the Torrent  :-\

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 06:42:17 am »
Your call Don :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline deckard313

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 07:32:20 am »
Hi all...its been awhile! Congrats on the release of Peppermint 6! P5 has been running smoothly on my netbook,but cant wait to put P6 on her....then Ill backup and format my old desktop....which has been chugging along since 2004.....to P6.I have been running an hat like Rpm based distro on her since version 19.

Offline donwatson

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2015, 11:02:37 am »
Hi Mark,
Can I follow (loosely) the tutorial you gave for Pep 5 ?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2015, 11:33:12 am »
Yes, but do NOT install TLP .. skip that stage.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2015, 12:02:48 pm »
 8) just finished my conversion to p6... 8)  happily, i have sound with no triage necessary... even have sound thru the main speakers which had been missing for a long time...

pondering leaving the touchpad functionally intact this time around... we'll see how long it takes to drive me nuts... >:(

kudos  :-* to PCNetSpec and the rest of the team for all their hard work... p6 rocks...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 12:26:33 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 9 installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2015, 01:16:49 pm »
Welcome Scifidude .. its been a while :)

OK, yeah you hit it on the head with the 9 month support thing .. Peppermint 4 was left hanging for 3 months with no upstream support right at the time of the bash bug and heartbleed, so we're not going though that again for the sake of a newer kernel (which we can get anyway) .. we're not willing to leave our users hanging and at risk for 3 months

In fact we've moved to a newer kernel and matching graphics stack anyway .. the 3.16 utopic kernel/graphics stack)  from the 14.04.2 LTS Enablement Stack .. and you can easily change to the 3.19 vivid kernel and graphics stack if you want 15.04's kernel too.
So if you can easily have the utopic/vivid kernel anyway, and software in the LTS repos tends to not lag like it used to .. what exactly is the benefit of basing on 15.04 .. to me you're just risking stability and 3 months security for zero benefit
(this may not always be the case, and will be assessed every even number Peppermint release .. if Ubuntu had moved to a whole new tech that had obvious benefits for us  we'd have gone with it .. but there was really nothing new in 15.04 that overrode the risks)

Doing this also allowed us to get a little more experimental with software choices, with the knowledge that we were already on a known solid base

Nope, no reason to upgrade if you don't find anything in the changes that interests you .. the same can be said for Peppermint 3 ;)

Peppermint 5 is still supported both upstream and here (if anything upstream causes an issue, we'll attempt to fix it . though this is highly unlikely).

Advantages to moving to Peppermint 6:
http://peppermintos.com/2015/05/peppermint-six-is-here/

Your call, but whichever you choose it's been GREAT to hear from you again my friend  :)

Thanks for the comprehensive answer.  Not that I expected anything less from you.  :)

My laptop is a pretty well oiled machine on P5, so I think I'll leave it alone until 7 comes out.  Plus, it's a pain in the butt to upgrade.  It's slow (1 GHz dual core) and I also have to back up games, including making sure I have my saves, yadda yadda.  Huge pill.  ;)  Though, I have to say, some of those features of P6 do look good.  I may just have to put that on the desktop.  :)  It's my main computer anyway.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2015, 05:22:45 pm »
Hello scifidude79,

It's great to see you back in the forum.  If I'm correct about this, my first three contacts within Peppermint forum were with PCNetSpec, you, and mac.  You guys were the first three to help me get started with LInux and Peppermint 3 a couple of years ago.  Back then I ran P3 from 8GB flash drive!  Now at my house we have Peppermint 6 installed on our two laptops, and we never, NEVER use Windows any longer.  So I thank all of you, Shane and mnfrozenfish too, for helping to jump start me into Linux.  :)

I'm still wondering what happened to mnfrozenfish.  He was cool guy in the old Peppermint forum too.  :-\

Now, to anyone who knows: 

Will Peppermint 6 run any faster on old 32-bit computers than Peppermint 5?  Is Peppermint 6 lighter and faster than Peppermint 5?

I was shocked to see how fast our new USB image writer is.  I'm going to un-install Unetbooten now.  I don't think I'm going to need it here any longer.  The image writing tool that Peppermint 6 has flies!  ;)

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;). -- AndyInMokum

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2015, 05:30:47 pm »
I wouldn't expect Peppermint 6 to be faster than Peppermint 5, or the other way around ... I'd expect them to be very similar in performance.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2015, 05:44:46 pm »
Back then I ran P3 from 8GB flash drive!

Did you have it as a live version or as a full install?  I used to have one of those where I had a full install of Peppermint (Two, I think) on an 8 GB flash that I could just plug into computers and use.  That was pretty sweet.  :)