Choose style:

Author Topic: anyone use android based smart phone?  (Read 2961 times)

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
anyone use android based smart phone?
« on: May 23, 2015, 12:13:01 pm »
Hey guys I have never had a smart phone up until a week ago. My ipod touch broke and decide why not just get a smart phone?
i knew android is based on linux which is the reason why i went with an android powered device. I love the options of customization
you can do with it also. My main question is as a person who is obsessed with changing themes on my peppermint laptop there is one issue
i can into with android. I found a very nice launcher and icon set and my desktop (if thats what u call it) on my phone looks great but
the actual interface of the samsung galaxy light has not changed  and it looks ugly. I read you need to 'root' the device aka install super user
into the device so you can get root access and change the over all theme (just like any other linux machine) except for a mobile device
it seems very complicated to set up root access has anyone done this or know how or could walk me through it safely so i dont break the device?

thanks!
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: anyone use android based smart phone?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 12:18:02 pm »
i found a program for windows that rooted my tablet with ease...  king root I believe it is called...  I don't suggest rooting it unless you have a good reason to root it... 
and changing the looks is not a good reason...  once they are rooted warranty goes out the window, and also I found that a lot of apps will not work once a device is rooted or modified, the programs will not launch and say the device was tampered with, exiting app...  :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 06:57:34 pm »
i found a program for windows that rooted my tablet with ease...  king root I believe it is called...  I don't suggest rooting it unless you have a good reason to root it... 
and changing the looks is not a good reason...  once they are rooted warranty goes out the window, and also I found that a lot of apps will not work once a device is rooted or modified, the programs will not launch and say the device was tampered with, exiting app...  :)

oh ok did not know that. I saw a few themes that apply to the entire phone's UI that said it needed to be rooted.
i suppose if i can't use it, but it looks nice whats the point of a nice looking UI if it doesn't do anything? maybe ill
just deal with a nice desktop and ugly over all UI for now.

Offline mattosensei

• Linux with 'L' plates
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 04:29:03 am »
I don't think you need to root the phone to get a decent level of customisation. Have you tried Themer? I used it in the past when it was in beta but it's launched now. I would try that.

I used to be into customising look/feel of my Samsung S3 (showing its age now) but over time the phone slowed down (may not just have been that) so I do fairly regular reinstalls/resets now and just stick with stock.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 04:55:39 am »
There's an "application" for that...

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 04:58:09 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 09:07:49 am »
There's an "application" for that...

Hehehehehehe  hooooooooooooooo   haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa   harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  dee harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr   harrrrrrrrrrrrrr   yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee   haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!     :P
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 09:51:05 am »
If you do decide to Root your phone, I have more advice for you...  Before you root it, make sure you take your phone down to the basement of your home, where you have a concrete floor and walls surrounding you...  This is the proper way to root a phone that when when anybody asks you how you rooted it you can honestly say you rooted it in the Cellar,  Get it, Root Cellar...   LOL    :P
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 11:22:01 am »
I don't think you need to root the phone to get a decent level of customisation. Have you tried Themer? I used it in the past when it was in beta but it's launched now. I would try that.

I used to be into customising look/feel of my Samsung S3 (showing its age now) but over time the phone slowed down (may not just have been that) so I do fairly regular reinstalls/resets now and just stick with stock.

har har its like bad stand up night on comedy central  :P jk

anyway ill check themer out. right now im using nova launcher and material things icon set (flat icons)
my 'desktop' looks great but the interface when i go outside of it looks ugly as hell. Will themer allow me to change that?

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 12:17:06 pm »
I also use Nova launcher on my droid.

I am happy with it. I only have a S4 mini, but it's a great phone.
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline mattosensei

• Linux with 'L' plates
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 02:11:26 pm »

har har its like bad stand up night on comedy central  :P jk

anyway ill check themer out. right now im using nova launcher and material things icon set (flat icons)
my 'desktop' looks great but the interface when i go outside of it looks ugly as hell. Will themer allow me to change that?

Can't remember off the top of my head. Give it a try though.

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 09:10:20 pm »
I also use Nova launcher on my droid.

I am happy with it. I only have a S4 mini, but it's a great phone.

i got the galaxy light which is decent for the price i just got a new better paying job so im saving up for the latest  galaxy which is like 600 something
so i have a long while to save for it prob by the time i have money saved still w ith other expense it will be around the time the next latest one comes out.

Offline camiva

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 12:47:33 am »
I also use Nova launcher for my android mobile phone. The only problem is that my Galaxy S6 si getting hot when I run it. Any advice?

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 04:44:15 am »
I also use Nova launcher for my android mobile phone. The only problem is that my Galaxy S6 si getting hot when I run it. Any advice?

Yeah don't run it

Sorry camiva I just couldn't resist it :)

EDIT
Giving this some thought it might be a good idea to contact the developer if that's possible and explain the problem he/she may have a solution 

Graeme

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 04:50:20 am by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation