Author Topic: Ubuntu's Shuttleworth's call to arms in open source stirs up controversy  (Read 4381 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Ubuntu's Shuttleworth's call to arms in open source stirs up controversy:  Some seemingly harmless comments on the state of the open source community were met with debate.

By Bryan Lunduke for NETWORKWORLD

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2923882/opensource-subnet/ubuntus-shuttleworths-call-to-arms-in-open-source-stirs-up-controversy.html
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
And now the for the other side of the issue --the pro Ubuntu/Canonical argument!

Misplaced ire toward Ubuntu and Canonical is hurting Linux

By Jack Wallen for TechRepublic

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/misplaced-ire-toward-ubuntu-and-canonical-is-hurting-linux/
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
My vote is for linux Mint to go to the top and be the desktop for the masses, cause ubuntu sucks rotten eggs with that unity crap they call a desktop
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
My vote is for linux Mint to go to the top and be the desktop for the masses, cause ubuntu sucks rotten eggs with that unity crap they call a desktop

Hello rjm65!

I understand clearly why people do not like Ubuntu's Unity desktop.  But it does look to me as if Ubuntu now is the direct source of many, many, very popular distros --Peppermint, Mint, and elementary OS amongst them!  ;)

Take a look at this list of distros based on Ubuntu that I found at DistroWatch.  It's amazing!

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=Ubuntu&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=Active

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit

gotta agree unity is hideous the whole design of ubuntu's interface is disgusting (in my opinion)
linux mint (i still prefer peppermint) but as a more popular distro i agree is much nicer to look at and straight
forward and much easier to use. I have used ubuntu in the past and honestly was not a fan the back end part
is ok and its repos etc but the actual unity interface not a fan.
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile

Take a look at this list of distros based on Ubuntu that I found at DistroWatch.  It's amazing!

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=Ubuntu&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=Active

I know this fact, i tried most of them a while back, but if you are going to go that route lest us not forget what ubuntu is based upon...  That is right Ubuntu is actually Debian, and actually Debian should be stepping up to grab the spotlight, rather then ubuntu....  :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Hello rjm65,

Below is your list from DistoWatch of distributions deriving from Debian.  Your point is well taken.  The list is even more enormous, and it includes Peppermint, Linux Mint, and Ubuntu too.

Ubuntu, though, either threw something into, or removed something out of, the Debian mix that really took off.  The Ubuntu-based distributions seem smoother, cleaner, less cluttered, and more user-friendly, to me anyway.  From what I can see, Ubuntu has tweaked Debian enough that I notice a difference.  One thing that comes to mind is the installation method of Ubuntu.  It seems easier to me than the installation method of Debian.  I know that DistroWatch lists Linux Mint as their most downloaded distribution, but if you threw in all the versions of Ubuntu, I bet Ubuntu would rule supreme --but that's just a guess of mine, and I could be all wrong about this.  Still I know the Linux Mint folks absolutely adore Linux Mint.  I don't know why, but Linux Mint has never worked as well for me as well as Ubuntu has, and I haven't a clue as to why.  :-\

You do make a good counterargument to the counterargument article, rjm65.  ;)  And I'm certain a lot of people would agree with you and say make Mint the top, or primary, Linux OS --not Ubuntu.  For a number of reasons, a lot of people are simply turned off by Ubuntu.  :(

perknh

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=Debian&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=Active
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:11:09 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
So am I following these 2 threads properly ?

On one hand Shuttleworth is saying "let's all work together", and on the other he's saying that the Canonical Council has his full backing when they make what appears to have been a private and unilateral decision to try force a Kubuntu Council leadership change ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
So am I following these 2 threads properly ?

On one hand Shuttleworth is saying "let's all work together", and on the other he's saying that the Canonical Council has his full backing when they make what appears to have been a private and unilateral decision to try force a Kubuntu Council leadership change ?

Hello PCNetSpec, and all who are carrying on with this discussion.

I had to sleep on PCNetSpec's question found in the quote above.  But, it seems as if the answer to the question is, "Yes!"

Now I have a question:  If Ubuntu, or Canonical, started to fall apart at the seams, could Peppermint use Linux Mint, or Fedora, to replace Ubuntu as our parent distribution?  (Debian, to me, seems more like a branch of Linux made for stable server services.  Ubuntu, Mint, and Fedora, on the other hand, seem more like distributions better suited for the desktop environment.)

Could Peppermint, is all went to pieces over at Canonical, jump solidly onto the the Linux Mint or Fedora bandwagon and carry on without a great deal of problems?

I've always wondered if Peppermint could change base distributions, and even branches within Linux (such as moving to Fedora), and still carry on just fine.  Or are we now forever Ubuntu dependent?  :-\ 

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:54:50 am by perknh »

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Debian, to me, seems more like a branch of Linux made for stable server services. 

If Debian is good enough for Gabe Newell, it seems good enough to me...   :D

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
You can always use the testing or sid branches of Debian.  Debian 8 is now going to have its own dedicated ppas too.  Even Linux Mint is investing more money and time into developing LMDE.  I get a sense that they are very soon going to have LMDE as their flagship flavour.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
my kid runs it on her away laptop that she keeps at her grand mom's house...
it is solydx, which from my understanding is linux mint xfce debian edition, when mint dropped its xfce brand, they spit off and made it into solydx...
hers has been working great for two years now running it, every 3 months or so it has to download a package which basically installs the new version right over top the old one...
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
You can always use the testing or sid branches of Debian.  Debian 8 is now going to have its own dedicated ppas too.  Even Linux Mint is investing more money and time into developing LMDE.  I get a sense that they are very soon going to have LMDE as their flagship flavour.

@AndyInMokum

Really?  :o  And I thought the Debian editions of Linux Mint were dying off.  Should I go back over there and take a serious look at things?

@VinDSL

Just imagine it!  Use Linux Mint Debian Edition and become rich!!  ;)

@rjm65

Am I rubbing two sticks together here if I'm still using Ubuntu Unity 15.05 as my secondary installation?  Even if Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition looks an awfully lot like Window 7 to me, do I need to rediscover Linux Mint again?  Am I on the wrong side of history here concerning secondary Linux installations?  ???

P.S.

Our computers run hot with SoldyX.  Don't know why.

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile

@rjm65

Am I rubbing two sticks together here if I'm still using Ubuntu Unity 15.05 as my secondary installation?  Even if Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition looks an awfully lot like Window 7 to me, do I need to rediscover Linux Mint again?  Am I on the wrong side of history here concerning secondary Linux installations?  ???

P.S.

Our computers run hot with SoldyX.  Don't know why.
I had no problems with Solydx, and I must say I really didn't have a choice with that specific laptop, for it would not run any of the new versions do to the fact the processor had no pae! There are only two distros I found that worked on that laptop solydx, and of course antix mx14 non pae! Only reason I went with solydx is because i didn't have to download a non pae version, where as antix mx14 has two versions pae and non pae, you have to download the one you need, but solydx they are both on the same disc, the installer installs non pae and if you can use pae it tells you after install, and you can install the pae version after the fact... 
no heat issues at all with the ibm t30, and she is happy to have a working machine at grandma's house...    :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Ubuntu aren't going anywhere ... even if Kubuntu split off (and possibly rename?, "Kubuntu" is a registered trademark of Canonical) it'll have zero effect on Ubuntu, and probably very little on Kubuntu who (AFAIK) now get most of their sponsorship from elsewhere.

Hypothetically
Could we re-base ? .. sure, but not on Mint Main as that'd also be affected if Ubuntu fell apart .. Debian or LMDE, possibly but it would be nowhere near as polished as an Ubuntu base .. Ubuntu put a LOT of polish on Debian packages and effort into their maintenance.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 12:23:40 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec