Choose style:

Author Topic: How To: Use symlinks to a DATA partition  (Read 9797 times)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R and 9
Re: How To: Use symlinks to a DATA partition
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2016, 01:25:50 pm »
You must have forgot to do the
Code: [Select]
sudo chown -R aylnur:aylnur /mnt/DATA
(or similar)

with DATA already mounted, to recursively take ownership of the mountpoint
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 01:28:07 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 Respin (64bit) 9
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2016, 02:00:40 pm »
You must have forgot to do the
sudo chown -R aylnur:aylnur /mnt/DATA
(or similar)

with DATA already mounted, to recursively take ownership of the mountpoint

Hi PCNetSpec, I did that a bunch of times, the only thing that finally worked was making more directories

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 Respin (64bit) 9
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2016, 05:28:09 pm »
I need to give a SHOUT OUT and THANK YOU to AndyInMokum for helping me get all this straightened out. My hat is off to you sir!  :)

Offline madentaiwn

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM6
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2016, 09:46:57 pm »
Hello,

Noon question. If I were to follow us instructors and setup a data partition, would windows be able to read it? I have my setup as windows 10 and PM dual boot

So I'm thinking about setting it up like this

Win10 40Gb
/boot 400mb
/ 40Gb
/mnt/DATA 390 GB
/swap 8Gb

Going to reinstall Windows clean first then work on the partitions for PM7. Is there anything else I should keep in mind?

Thanks
New to the linux world

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2016, 02:59:12 am »
Hi madentaiwn,

As given in the current instructions, Windoze cannot read the DATA partitition. I do not use Windoze and do not know the exact method to solve your problem. I am sure that someone else with knowledge of Windoze will give the correct method soon.

I do know that the problem is the filesystem used for the DATA partition: Windoze cannot read so many different types as Linux. I think that you need to use something like NTFS for Windoze, but I do not know the corrections you need to make in the Linux file fstab, etc.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, awesome, Openbox, i3, JWM

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R and 9
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2016, 08:23:54 am »
As long as the DATA partition was on a partition with a file system Windows can read YES.

You just want to make sure the DATA partition was formatted say NTFS, and was mounted as accessible by everyone.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline madentaiwn

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM6
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2016, 04:43:28 pm »
 :D :D Windoze, you crack me up dude.

Thanks for the info guys. I will try it out tonight.
New to the linux world

Offline snide

• nOOb
  • Old Experimenter
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2017, 04:21:25 pm »
What would I need to do to adapt this procedure to a multi user environment? Let's say I have 3 users (user1, user2, user3) for whom I would like to keep personal data on a single separate DATA partition?

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2017, 05:31:01 pm »
Hi madentaiwn,

As given in the current instructions, Windoze cannot read the DATA partitition. I do not use Windoze and do not know the exact method to solve your problem. I am sure that someone else with knowledge of Windoze will give the correct method soon.

I do know that the problem is the filesystem used for the DATA partition: Windoze cannot read so many different types as Linux. I think that you need to use something like NTFS for Windoze, but I do not know the corrections you need to make in the Linux file fstab, etc.

Regards,

-- Slim

If you want to share files with Windoze on dual boot system.  You'll need to format your shared /DATA partition to NTFS, not ext4.  The /etc/fstab entry is also slightly different.  The following link from the Linux Mint gang, provides the correct format for mounting an NTFS partition in /etc/fstab: HOWTO: Create & Use a Separate DATA Partition  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2017, 07:44:08 pm »
Hi spence, I see you're having fun  ;D.  Have you any critical data in /mnt/DATA/DATA/DATA/DATA/video folder?  Do you have all your critical data either backed up, or still in your /home directory?  I'm simply making sure your critical data is in a safe place before you start deleting files and directories  ;).

Offline ogopogo

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2018, 03:15:06 pm »
In the tutorial it says:

In your file manager you should now see a folder icon with the name Documents and it should have a little "arrow" in one corner (indicating that this is a symlink).

After I was finished I never saw any of the folders with the little arrow. This is what my partitions look like:

I had originally installed Peppermint 9 before following the symlink tutorial and had made a separate partition as a home folder with all my files so you can see the mount point for sda2 is for  both the DATA and home. Is this correct or do I need to somehow unassociate the home folder (sda2) from being a link to my files also?

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2018, 03:53:27 pm »

Hi ogopogo,

The tutorial, as written, requires an EXTRA partition for your personal data files -- not a folder within the /home folder (or in your case /home partition). There is really no need to create an extra /home partition. It will normally be created within the / (root) partition. So you only need to create an extra DATA partition.

Regards,

-- Slim

"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, awesome, Openbox, i3, JWM

Offline ogopogo

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2018, 08:40:40 pm »
Thank you Slim.Fatz  that makes perfect sense.

So this is what I see to do next:  I need to make a separate DATA partition, copy all my files over from the home partition to the DATA partition  then following the tutorial, symlink the root partition folders to the DATA partition then once satisfied that it works, delete the home partition (as it is no longer needed)... correct?  Sorry for being a pain in the NooB
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:27:39 pm by ogopogo »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2018, 08:47:44 pm »
In the tutorial it says:

In your file manager you should now see a folder icon with the name Documents and it should have a little "arrow" in one corner (indicating that this is a symlink).

After I was finished I never saw any of the folders with the little arrow. This is what my partitions look like:

I had originally installed Peppermint 9 before following the symlink tutorial and had made a separate partition as a home folder with all my files so you can see the mount point for sda2 is for  both the DATA and home. Is this correct or do I need to somehow unassociate the home folder (sda2) from being a link to my files also?

No this is not correct and not what the instructions are telling you to do.   The way you have it, defeats having a /DATA partition  :(.   

Before you install Peppermint 9, first manually make a partition table.  I use GParted to do this.  It's installed by default on the LiveMedia you made.  If you're going to use just /(root) mount point at installation. I'd give Peppermint 9 no more than 25GB.  You could get away with 20GB.  If you're like me and also use a /home partition.  I'd give the /(root) partition 10GB and the /home partition around 12GB.  If you make the /home partition too small, you end up having problems with the Trash/Rubbish bin contents filling up the whole partition.   I like to keep a /home partition.  It makes reinstalling quick and easy.  I do a lot of testing and I  break my system a lot.  Just doing a /(root) maintenance installation and not touching the /home partition saves time.  The /home partition is very much optional though.  Whatever is left over, I use for the /DATA partition.  You have this made and formatted to ext4 for, Linux only and to NTFS, if you're going to share it with Windows.  Adding the label, /DATA is useful as a reference  ;).

Note:  The /DATA partition plays no part in the installation process

When asked what type of installation you want to do, choose: Something Else.  From there you choose which partition(s) you're going to use and where to put the bootloader.  If you've only one distro, it's usually /dev/sda.  Remember do nothing with the /DATA partition.

After the installation has completed,  Open a terminal with the following key strokes:

Ctrl+Alt+t

Enter, (Copy & Paste)  the following commands into the terminal window, hit enter and post the outputs back to the forum:
sudo fdisk -l
followed by:
sudo blkid
Once we have this information , it's easy to walk you through the process.  In the meantime let's backup a file you're going to be editing a little later.  In the terminal window, enter, (Copy & Paste)  the following command:
sudo cp -v /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.bak
and hit enter.  Now we'll wait on the requested outputs  ;).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:12:09 pm by AndyInMokum »

Offline ogopogo

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2018, 12:06:59 am »
AndyInMokum,   Sorry for the delay.... deadlines to be taken care of.....

So not wanting to have to start all over again with another fresh installation of Peppermint 9, I made another partiton named DATA, and then followed the tutorial on symlinks. This time it worked! However, one thing I'm not sure about is the Desktop folder. Obviously when all the files and links that were on my desktop were moved to the DATA partition, the only thing I was left with on the desktop was the symlink. See below:

I guess I will either have to click on the link each time I want to go to my desktop folder (to keep the /home partition small) or remove the link and move all my desktop files back but having to increase the size of the /home folder to what ever size I think might be needed to handle the items I put there.
If I did it this second way, then when  it comes time to upgrade Peppermint, I just have to remember to move these files to the DATA partition to be able to keep them intact through the new installation/upgrade. Is there something I am missing or are these my options?