Author Topic: Waiting for Peppermint OS 11 - how to upgrade your OS  (Read 1856 times)

Offline mirsonni

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Waiting for Peppermint OS 11 - how to upgrade your OS
« on: August 08, 2020, 01:55:20 pm »
Heey guys!

Here we are again... After we had seen many people asking the question on forums, social networks, we decided to give our answer to it...

We hope our answer is in "plain English" and average users will understand it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRDTBAP-SvI

m.

Offline josephd

• Administrator
  • Peppermint OS Website Admin
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
Re: Waiting for Peppermint OS 11 - how to upgrade your OS
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 04:26:00 pm »
Any path to upgrade from our 18.04 core to 20.04 would be purely the decision of the user and unofficial.

I caution anyone reading. Once someone chooses to upgrade their core they're effectively re-spining Peppermint.

This is a fun exercise and certainly in the spirit of FOSS but completely unofficial and we wouldn't be able to support any problems that may result.

Furthermore we are working on Peppermint 11 and although we can't offer a release date beyond "when it's ready" it is in the works.

Seriousness aside, we can now have a Ship of Theseus discussion in the thread. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 04:49:13 pm by josephd »
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 01:31:59 am »
I never do it that way. I always install the latest release. I treid to upgrade Peppermint 10 Respin from Bionic Beaver to Focal Fossa the Debian way and for me it didn't work that well. It upgraded to Focal Fossa, but Peppermint PPA was gone, icons were gone in Nemo, only O's instead of for instance the house icon for Home.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 01:56:17 am by Johan »
Once Peppermint, always Peppermint.

Online grafiksinc

• Developer
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 04:46:30 am »
just out of curiosity..... why is there the big rush for everyone to upgrade..... ;) 18.04 is still got a few years..lol

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 10:02:12 am »
just out of curiosity..... why is there the big rush for everyone to upgrade..... ;) 18.04 is still got a few years..lol

Got me    :-\

My 'live or die' primary laptop is still running fine on top of PM7. And, my horribly complex dual-boot, multi-display daily driver desktop box is running PM9 without a whimper, too.

When I do a fresh PM install, I remove cruft that I don't need, get rid of orphaned packages, and tweak it for speed. Once it's stable, I leave it alone, except for kernel updates (I'm a sucker for those). And, I run that PM install until it quits working.

Generally speaking, browsers are the deal-breaker(s) for me. After x-number of years, while the core operating system is still working fine, browser support drops and they can't be updated due to non-upgradeable/non-installable depends and so forth, e.g. the browser(s) quit working. That's the death knell for me.

PM10 has a lot of life left in it, and will continue to get better for "a few years", as you said.

Conversely, I subscribe to bugs on the Ubu mailing lists and 20.04 is pretty janky right now, as I type. I don't know what the "big rush" is either.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 03:08:51 pm by VinDSL »

Online grafiksinc

• Developer
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 02:55:56 pm »
Wow that's pretty crazy at the bug volumes.....I guess after running Debian for awhile...I lost the upgrade lust  I used to have lol ::) simply because of the different pace of l release cycles.... ;)

I have to say I do like upgrading....but it is true due to bit rott a fresh install in the way to go.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 02:59:43 pm by grafiksinc »

Offline josephd

• Administrator
  • Peppermint OS Website Admin
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 08:21:17 pm »
Ubuntu LTS is just another STS until it's first point release anyway  :D
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 10:07:27 am »
Point release isn't that 20.04.1? :-\ Pepp 10 Respin works fine. No issue's what so ever 8) Must be because 10 is my lucky number :D
Once Peppermint, always Peppermint.