Choose style:

Author Topic: Wine, Windows and Games [SOLVED]  (Read 7434 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Wine, Windows and Games [SOLVED]
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 09:10:25 pm »
I've noticed my wireless Logitech mouse is a little fluttery in Peppermint 6.  It's starting to drive me crazy (short trip.)  The problem is, all I have are Logitech mice.   ::)

Here's some irony for everyone.  The only controller guaranteed to work with Wine for Linux is a Microsoft XBOX 360 controller.  Most games won't support anything else.  (at least, until Valve releases their controller this fall)  Of course, in Windows, you can use whatever controller you want and it will work, but the M$ one is the only one that will work in Linux.  Sheer irony.   ???

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 07:45:26 am »
You wanna try going back to the original 3.13 kernel and xorg stack ? (same as Peppermint 5)

All the goodness of the Peppermint 6 feature list with the proven kernel and xorg stack of Peppermint 5 :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 08:02:42 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 01:34:17 pm »
I don't know about VinDSL, but I mostly fixed my mouse issues by disabling the desktop effects.  I really don't like that kind of fluff anyway, so it was no big loss for me.

Though, it sounds like his are way worse than mine were.

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 07:43:58 pm »
I don't mean to anthropomorphize mice, but each one of mine DOES have its own distinct personality, and I can tell when they're starting to get 'sick'.

I knew my final (and last) Logitech corded mouse was getting janky about 3 weeks ago, but I chucked it off to Ubu 15.10 and/or the highly unstable Linux 4.1-rc2 mainline kernel.  The thing is, I dual-booted into Ubu 10.10 (which is rock solid on this machine) and the mouse was doing the same thing(s).

I started *thinking* it might be a hardware issue with my mobo, but I borrowed my wife's 'Hello Kitty' mouse, and it worked fine.

Personally, I have a sneaking suspicion that Logitech purposely designs their products to fail after a certain length of time - preferably after the warranty expires .  They aren't going to stay in business making devices that last a lifetime.  And, to be fair, they aren't unique in this business model.

EXTRA CREDIT READING:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence#Lifespan-limiting_design

As an aside, I  own a 1946 Indian Chief - which would still be running fine, right now, if I wanted to buy a new battery for it.  Reportedly, that's one of the major reasons Indian Motorcycle Company went out of business.  When the dealer sold someone a new Indian, they wouldn't see the customer again for 5 years.  Harley-Davidson motorcycles, on the other hand, required constant maintenance and repairs.  Guess who survived and prospered?!?!

Anyway, I have have high hopes for my flea-bay Dell mouse.  If it works as good here, as it does at work, I'll buy 10 more of them, and stick 'em in the closet, for future use.

That's the kinda guy I am...  LoL   :D

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 08:14:25 pm »
I tend to tear through mice quickly no matter what brand I use, because I do CGI and play games, both of which are very mouse intensive.

Yeah, most electronics companies do design their stuff to fail after a certain length of time.  Nobody builds anything to last anymore.  Though, Logitech's quality has gone in the toilet in the past 10 years or so.  Their stuff breaks earlier than it should.  I finally stopped buying Logitech game controllers after those kept breaking after a couple years.

As for the motorcycle, try saying that about a car, truck or motorcycle from this year.  I doubt they'll still be on the road in 30 years, let alone 70.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2015, 06:34:11 am »
I "get it" with cars/bikes/etc. .. they are now MUCH more complex (for safety/performance/equipment level sake so there are far more little things to go wrong, which eventually stack up to making it no longer worth the cost.

What pi**es me off though is why do washing machines/fridges/other white goods now all fail 10 minutes after the guarantee expires (and you can no longer buy spares to fix em, in fact they're designed to not allow you to fix them) .. how is this acceptable in the current "we're killing the planet" climate.  :-\

Surely there's room for a company to make money from spares .. in fact I'm of the opinion that in the current climate, given the choice people would be willing to spend a little extra on their initial white goods purchase if the knew for surre that they'd sell spares for the things well into the future. Surely this can be done in the white good arena, I mean how much has washing machines technology changed or is liable to change.

As I said, this doesn't apply to cars/bikes/etc. .. their technology (and just the publics taste in appearance/style) changes quite quickly .. but a washing machine is a washing machine for christ sake, build em to be repairable ::)

[EDIT]

RANT OVER...

"I can quite often be found drinking wine staring through the window of Game<-- placed to stay "on topic"
(for our American friends "Game" is a UK shop .. guess what they sell ?)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 07:18:20 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2015, 07:12:39 am »
As I said, this doesn't apply to cars/bikes/etc. .. their technology (and just the publics taste in appearance/style) changes quite quickly .. but a washing machine is a washing machine for christ sake, build em to be repairable ::)

I'm a machinist, by trade (among other things), so I have a natural proclivity to take things apart and fix them, including 'white goods'.

The problem(s) with washing machines is:

• People tend to overload them (too much weight which breaks the transmission)
  • You're dealing with water (which is very corrosive and loaded with minerals)
  • Added chemicals, such as 'soap' (detergent agents) and  chlorine (hydrochloric acid)

In my experience, clothes dryers will outlast washers 3:1 because people under-load them, et cetera.

Truthfully, the only washers that last are ones designed and build for commercial work, such as Speed Queens.

LINK:  http://speedqueen.com/

I'm still using the first one I bought, and that was probably 20 years ago.  It's actually outlasted three (consumer grade) dryers.   ;D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2015, 07:24:00 am »
My point is that 30 years ago white goods were built to be fixable .. eg. you could buy a new motor/drum/switch/bearings/etc. and fit them (either yourself or hire someone).

Nowadays you can't buy the spares, and just to make sure you don't go fittting a third party motor/drum/etc. they're specifically designed to stop you .. on top of that they're ALL doing it.

it's more than planned obsolescence .. it's ENFORCED obsolescence with ZERO way (for Joe Average) to opt out of this particular rat race.  >:(
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 07:28:47 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 08:50:48 am »
The wonderful world of capitalism.  You have to perpetuate sales at the expense of the customer, in order to keep the shareholders sweet  >:(.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.