Choose style:

Author Topic: 7 Excuses For Not Using Linux -- And Why They're Wrong (from Datamation)  (Read 2159 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
7 Excuses For Not Using Linux -- And Why They're Wrong
By Bruce Byfield for Datamation

http://www.datamation.com/open-source/7-excuses-for-not-using-linux-and-why-theyre-wrong.html
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline Mynaardt

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Interesting little article, that!
 8)
~*~  Mynaardt  ~*~
(Victoria, BC, Canada)
Peppermint OS is your computer's friend,
Always Trust Peppermint OS!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
The word "excuse" says it all really.....
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Mynaardt

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
I think the word "excuse" goes hand in hand with the every-dreaded concept of CHANGE.  Woo!  Scary!
 :-\
~*~  Mynaardt  ~*~
(Victoria, BC, Canada)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Yup .. anyone looking for excuses, will find them.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
There is one big excuse or misconception that has been woefully omitted.   Many people believe because the majority of Linux based desktops OSs have no monetary value.  They must therefore be either, an inferior system or, there's a catch to using it.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Mynaardt

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
That sounds about right.  If it (whatever 'it' is) is ghastly expensive it must be good!
 ???
~*~  Mynaardt  ~*~
(Victoria, BC, Canada)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Most peoples' impressions of Linux are tainted by the pack of lies spread by Microsoft.  It's sad, but true.  Microsoft never wanted operating systems based on a free kernel raining on their monopoly parade, so they spread a pack of lies.  Most of the excuses stem from those lies.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
I agree, MS love to perpetuate the myths surrounding the Linux desktop.  Or at the very least, they're not going to repudiate them.  The FOSS community has to bear some of the blame too.  It appears to me that far too many of the senior personnel in the community are very blinkered.  They can't see pass the importance of the coder.  In my opinion there needs to be a drive to attract and welcome more graphical designers and very importantly, marketing personnel into the FOSS community.  Until this balance of responsibilities is addressed.  I cannot see the Linux desktop getting a share of users any larger than it is now. 

For the desktop environment, MS is a juggernaut in comparison to Linux.  Nearly every new computer sold has a version of Windows pre-installed.  For Joe Public, this stroke of marketing genius has made Windows synonymous with computing.  I'll leave Macs out, as they have their niche market.  Great code alone is never going to overcome such a huge foothold.  It needs to be seen to be great code, in a way that Mrs Bloggs from Bolton can understand.  This involves making it look good and marketing it in way that makes the potential user feel good about themselves.  Unfortunately, this is how the average person is attracted to a product. 
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Yeah, you have to hand one thing to Bill Gates, he is a true genius.  And I'm not talking about inventing Windows, though he does get kudos for that.  His true genius lies in business.  He was smart enough to realize that, if he wanted his operating system family to succeed, he needed to get his product out there.  So, he approached computer companies and struck deals with them, something that had never been done before.  That was pure genius.  It got the product out there to where everyone not buying an Apple computer was booting up to Windows.  They learned it, they used it, they loved it.  And, for many, they still think it's the best OS ever, whether or not it is. (what's "best" is relative) One of the biggest excuses I see from people in the Linux discussion is that they don't want to go to the hassle of switching and want to keep using what is familiar to them.  So, Bill gets credit for that.

One wonders what Windows would have become without Gates' brilliant move to put it EVERYWHERE.  Would it have even survived the '90s?