Author Topic: Reinstalling latest version of Peppermint (Solved)  (Read 3997 times)

Offline DougJ12

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
Reinstalling latest version of Peppermint (Solved)
« on: May 03, 2015, 02:53:52 pm »
So some how I managed to mess up my Peppermint installation. It has been working great but, I think after trying the wrong kind of theme, the Peppermint control center is no more. I tried fluxbox with Peppermint and can boot into that but there's not even an option now for Peppermint. I think I just should reinstall Peppermint. Can I reinstall over my broken Peppermint or maybe reformat and then do the new install.? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 04:46:59 pm by DougJ12 »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: Reinstalling latest version of Peppermint
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 03:38:57 pm »
Hi DougJ12, how's it going?  Before you do anything drastic, lets check on something.  First you need to logout.  In the login screen, checkout the top right hand corner of the screen.  There's a set of icons. Click on the icon to furthest left. For some reason, it looks like a dog eared piece of paper with a spanner/wrench on it  :-\.  You should have the option of Peppermint and Fluxbox - click on Peppermint.  You will now boot into the default Peppermint desktop.  I hope this helps  ;).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 03:58:55 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline DougJ12

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 04:16:36 pm »
Thanks for the fast reply. When I am on the log on screen the option for Peppermint on the icon you mention is gone. When things got messed up I tried reinstalling the Peppermint control center so I'm thinking that's where I made a mistake. Not really sure.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 04:58:54 pm »
I'm sorry that didn't help.  It looks like you may have seriously damaged your installation.  I think the best thing you can do is backup any critical data if you can.  Then reinstall - sorry about that  :(.

Offline DougJ12

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 05:39:58 pm »
Hey, not a problem. It was my fault.  :(  My question now is can I just reinstall over the existing install? Or do I need to reformat. or what ever, and then reinstall Peppermint? Thanks again for the help.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 05:58:45 pm »
Hi DougJ12, what type of install are you planning on doing?  A standard one, where the the Peppermint installer uses the whole disk?  A dual boot with Windows?  Or, have you premade made a custom partition table, with a /root, /home and swap area?

Offline DougJ12

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 06:04:37 pm »
I have two partitions on my hard drive. One already has Linux Mint. The other would be for Peppermint. I do have a small swap partition.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 08:58:50 pm »
Hi DougJ12,

You can simply reinstall over the current Peppermint installation (after backing up your personal files -- documents, music, pictures, whatever). It is always safest to select reformat for the partition that will be containing Peppermint -- although it might not really be necessary. But at least when it is reformatted you are sure that there are no messed up configuration files left behind that might be causing you problems. If you reformat that partition, I suggest selecting the file system called ext4, but you can use another if you prefer.

Regards,

-- Slim

Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline DougJ12

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 09:04:51 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I'll see how it goes as far as reformatting the partition for Peppermint. I don't think I'd be loosing anything by reformatting. Will check first. Most files I would want to keep or backup are on Linux Mint on the other partition.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 09:12:38 pm »
OK, go for it, DougJ12 !! If everything works out and solves your problems, please go back to your first message and add [SOLVED] to the Subject line.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 12:09:24 am »
Hi DougJ12, It's as Slim.Fatz has suggested.  Do that and go for it!  You may want to consider not getting too comfortable with, Peppermint Five.  Just to let you know.  Peppermint Six is slated to be released on 1st June 2015.  It's something to think about  ;).

Offline DougJ12

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 07:03:14 am »
So I tried running the install again and want to ask about this before I do more damage. :) When I go to the page on the installer where it shows my partitions and then I try to continue with the install it says "no root file system found"? So how do I fix this? Also, how do I make sure Peppermint is installed in the correct partition?

My hard drive has one partition with Linux Mint, a smaller partition where I have Peppermint and a small swap partition. The Peppermint partition is formatted to ext4. I want to reinstall where my current Peppermint is installed and don't want to mess up my Mint install.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 08:48:22 am »
Either:-

Copy off anything you need to keep from Peppermint

Boot to the Peppermint LiveCD/LiveUSB

When you get to the part of the installer that asks where you want to put Pepeprmint, choose "Something Else"

highlight the peppermint partition and use the minus symbol(-) button to delete that partition

use the plus symbol to create a new partition in the free space that was left  and set it as EXT4 and mounted as /

carry on with the installatio

Or:-

Boot to the LiveCD/LiveUSB

fire up GParted and use it to delete the Peppermint partition leaving just empty space.

REBOOT to the LiveCD/LiveUSB

run he installer, and when it asks where to put Peppermint it *should* offer to install it to the free space.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline DougJ12

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 09:14:07 am »
Well, got Peppermint reinstalled and everything seems to be working fine except my wireless internet. I had this problem the first time I installed Peppermint and posted about it here. Got it solved on the first install but when I tried the same thing on the new install didn't work. I think there are different file names on my original post about getting wireless internet working. Can you give me any help with this?

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 09:38:07 am »
Hi DougJ12, have you run a post-installation update and upgrade?  If you haven't done this, we highly recommend you do so, as it often clears up issues like the one you are describing.

Since the time when your installation ISO was originally created, the kernel and the installed software packages will have gone through several upgrades.  Peppermint, like other Linux distributions is a very dynamic and rapidly evolving operating system.  Consequently, it needs to be kept as current as possible for optimal performance.   Please open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following commands into the terminal window.

Tip:  Linux is case sensitive.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors please click the Code: [Select] function below to highlight the contents. Click on the centre mouse button/wheel while the cursor is in the terminal window to paste the contents.

Note: For enhanced security, passwords are entered invisibly.  There is NO indication of any user input.  You may enter an incorrect password 3 times before you have to repeat the action you are trying to execute.

Code: [Select]
apt update && apt upgrade -yHit enter and enter your user password when asked.  After that has completed, continue with:
apt dist-upgrade -yHit enter and enter your user password if asked.

After the upgrade has completed, reboot your machine because there may have been kernel upgrades.

Has this resolved you issued?  If it hasn't or, if you have already performed a post-installation update and upgrade.  Please connect your computer with an ethernet cable.  Run the following command in a terminal window:
sudo lshw -C networkPost the output back to the forum  ;).