Choose style:

Author Topic: Intel Graphics - Video tearing?  (Read 2341 times)

Offline WallyA

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
Intel Graphics - Video tearing?
« on: April 26, 2015, 08:46:58 pm »
All of my systems running Peppermint 5 use Intel processors with built in graphics (the system I am typing from has an Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3258 @ 3.20GHz). 

A consistent issue I see across several installs is video tearing.  A solution that clears up the issue is to add a config file for the Intel video driver that enables the "tear free" option. 

Unfortunately this fix causes window management issues (after closing a window the "image" of the window remains behind, etc) that are too much to deal with.  I believe this is related to the compositing manager.  I had the same video tearing issue on my work laptop - again, intel graphics but running Ubuntu Mate (also saw the issue w/ other distros).  Enabling the tear free option for the video driver worked on this system without the subsequent  problems encountered w/ window management on P5.

Anyone else run into this problem w/ Intel graphics & Peppermint 5?  Have a good solution? 

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: Intel Graphics - Video tearing?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 09:13:03 pm »
Hi WallyA, the tearing you are speaking about.  Does this happen when you are using the Chromium Browser/Google Chrome?  If it does.  Try going into the browser's Preferences > Show advanced settings and navigate to, Add additional accessibility features.  Uncheck the Use hardware accelerator when available box and optionally uncheck, Continue running  background app when Chromium Browser/Google Chrome is closed.  You can also try navigating to: menu > Preferences > Peppermint Control Center.  Under the desktop effects tab, try disabling some, if not all of the effects.  I hope this helps - good luck  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline WallyA

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 09:27:47 pm »
Hi WallyA, the tearing you are speaking about.  Does this happen when you are using the Chromium Browser/Google Chrome?  If it does.  Try going into the browser's Preferences > Show advanced settings and navigate to, Add additional accessibility features.  Uncheck the Use hardware accelerator when available box and optionally uncheck, Continue running  background app when Chromium Browser/Google Chrome is closed.  You can also try navigating to: menu > Preferences > Peppermint Control Center.  Under the desktop effects tab, try disabling some, if not all of the effects.  I hope this helps - good luck  ;).

No it is not specific to Chrome,  it is an across the board issue - Chrome & Firefox plus, dvd, etc. 

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 09:31:18 pm »
Hi WallyA, try disabling some of the desktop effects or turn them off completely  ;).

Offline WallyA

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 06:48:33 am »
Hi WallyA, try disabling some of the desktop effects or turn them off completely  ;).

Thanks, I had tried that already but went ahead and tried it again anyway (same result, no change) :-)

This is a fairly well documented problem w/ intel graphics - it is just that the solutions aren't nearly as well documented as the problem. 

One potential solution was to install compton as the compositing manager.  I tried this on one of my systems but it din't help.  On that particular machine I went ahead and installed Ubuntu Mate 15.04.  I don't like it as well as P5, but enabling the tear free function for the intel driver works fine w/ that setup - without the negative results I see (with enabling tear free) on P5. 

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 08:08:52 am »
Hi WallyA, that's a shame :(.  I don't have a solution I can offer you up my sleeve.  My advice is to wait and see if someone else has an idea.  You can also wait and see if Peppermint Six resolves the issue "out of the box".  This is slated to be released around 1st June 2015  ;).

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 12:16:45 pm »
If it works in MATE but not other DE's I'd tend to think it's either the compositing widow manager they're using (compiz/metacity ?) or an issue with the drivers and gtk+3.

Maybe the move to later graphics drivers in Peppermint 6 will help .. maybe not .. but you haven't got long to wait to find out :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline WallyA

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 08:04:09 pm »
If it works in MATE but not other DE's I'd tend to think it's either the compositing widow manager they're using (compiz/metacity ?) or an issue with the drivers and gtk+3.

Maybe the move to later graphics drivers in Peppermint 6 will help .. maybe not .. but you haven't got long to wait to find out :)

I agree that it seems to be primarily an issue of the compositing window manager.  My celeron system w/ full Ubuntu (14.04) plays video fine without any tweaks to the driver settings.   An older Thinkpad w/  Core 2 Duo processor running Ubuntu Mate 15.04 plays video quite nicely with the intel driver "tear free" setting enabled.   My best machine w/ Pentium G3258 Haswell Dual-Core 3.2GHz is running Peppermint 5.  As I mentioned previously I see the tearing issue with it - and it plays video beautifully with "tear free" enabled, but there is an issue with windows management with that setting enabled.   It has been a few weeks since I had Mint installed on anything but I believe it had the same issue. 

The video tearing problem I am seeing is subtle enough that some folks may not notice it but it drives me crazy - and really bugged me that my Chromeboxes w/ Celeron displayed video better than my Linux machines  :-[  I have never described the problem - it is horizontal lines that display briefly between scenes and during "high action" scenes with lots of movement. 

I hope you are right about Peppermint 6 - I am pretty impressed with Ubuntu Mate but I really prefer the setup I have w/ Peppermint (and look forward to seeing the new release).  I am not a hater of Gnome 3 or Unity, I have used both and they are great but I just prefer a more "traditional" and lighter DE.