Author Topic: CODE: Debugging the Gender Gap Theatrical Trailer  (Read 2535 times)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: CODE: Debugging the Gender Gap Theatrical Trailer
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 07:34:33 pm »
This is an important issue.

Thanks for posting this.  ;)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 11:36:28 am »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 12:16:36 pm »
I agree with the notion that when the girls and the women of a society fare well, the entire society benefits.  Malala Yousafzai comes to my mind as one example of why this is important.

That's my general take on the issue.
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 01:51:24 pm »
Post removed (my own)

I should know better than to get "political" on this forum ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 02:13:16 pm »
The odd thing is...

Women are abandoning 'Tech' in droves:  http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-women-in-tech-responses-20150223-story.html

I would think THAT issue is what the feminists should be concerned about, i.e. why are female techies leaving their careers?

Guess I'll need to watch the movie when it comes out. 

One girl in the trailer mentioned having to put up with harassment and no funding, maybe that's the issue.

I'll have to say, the best Lua programmer I ever met (online) was a woman.  She was a genius at Lua, but moved onto other things.  I was TOTALLY jealous of her abilities and was glad to see her go.   :D

Maybe that's part of it too...

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 02:33:13 pm »
@PCNetSpec

Well, I'm thankful I got to read them!  :)

My thinking was more in the direction that a modern world --which includes both genders and all peoples -- needs to add computer literacy alongside reading, writing, and arithmetic.  That's all!

But

In the US, they force-feed boys Ritalin like Skittles to shut them up. -- Milo Yiannopoulos

Yes!  That's true.  What did he say, one in seven boys?  Believe me, it's crazy!

And,
After overpopulation ran out of control, the female mice in John Calhoun’s “mouse universe” experiment stopped breeding, and the male mice withdrew from the company of others entirely, eating, sleeping, feeding and grooming themselves but doing little else. They had shiny coats, but empty lives.

“The parallels are astounding,” says Rupert. --Milo Yiannopoulos

Well, I believe that too!  In fact, as we age away, I believe the world's population explosion, along with technological innovation, is going to make this planet like something none of us could imagine right now.

I appreciate you sharing those articles.  They would be hard to come by here in the States if we did not know where on the Internet to look to find them.

Thank you, PCNetSpec!  ;)

P.S.

I had to make a pizza run in the middle of this thread.  And, yes, it was delicious!  ;D

@VinDSL

If you can remember --since most of us are all over the map these days-- would you post here when the movie comes out?  Now, I'm certain, many of us would like to see it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 02:44:53 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 03:07:14 pm »
The image of Grace Hopper at the beginning of that trailer says it all .. who cares about quantity, when you have quality ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 03:15:47 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 06:59:23 pm »
This thread even got me to start thinking about Hedy Lamarr, and her significant contributions to the invention and development of CDMA technology --what I now use when I use my phone. 

What a brilliant woman Hedy Lamarr she was!

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/maney/2002-09-03-maney_x.htm 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 05:23:50 am by perknh »