Choose style:

Author Topic: ubi-partman crashed - exit code 10 [Solved?]  (Read 5762 times)

Offline Phoxford

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
ubi-partman crashed - exit code 10 [Solved?]
« on: April 23, 2015, 05:11:49 am »
I have successfully run Peppermint 5 from a USB drive on my Asus Eee PC 1015 PX. However, whenever I try to install PM5 to the hard disk the install fails with ubi-partman code 10. I have read several general threads for other distros and have tried a few 'fixes' all without success. I was going to go for a dual boot (PM5 + Win7 Starter) but I am happy to install over the top of Windows if that is easier. Any suggestions? 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 05:45:45 am by Phoxford »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: ubi-partman crashed - exit code 10
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 05:24:47 am »
Ubiquity is probably failing at the repartitioning phase.

Have you tried booting to the LiveUSB, then using GParted to manually shrink the Win7 partition .. then during the installation choosing "Something Else" and manually defining the partitions in the now freed space ?

Did any of that make sense ? .. or would it be helpful if I clarified that a bit ?

Can you boot to the LiveUSB .. open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and post the output from this command please:
Code: [Select]
sudo fdisk -l
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Phoxford

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 12:07:31 am »
I'm not fluent in terminal, so go easy on me please  ;D

Since posting I have examined the partitions on the disk (2xNTFS, 1xFAT32, and one unknown). The 2 NTFS partitions were the Windows C & D drives. The other two I believe were associated with the ASUS Express Gate installation. I deleted these partitions and expanded the two NTFS partitions to use the feed up space.

However, when running the install I still get the ubi-partman 10 error. Here is the output from the fdisk command:

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders, total 488397168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x6d5c689b

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *        2048   241174527   120586240    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2       241174528   488390655   123608064    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Another thing I have noticed is that when running the system from the USB now, I no longer get the list of Peppermint applications (just Chromium, Software Manager, File Manager, Run and Logout). This I suspect is unrelated to the above problem. I am wondering, is it because I have attempted the full install?

Offline Phoxford

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 03:48:37 am »
Update: Further to the last post I have deleted the partition holding the Windows D: drive. This has created unallocated space of 117GB on the drive. I was hopeful that with the free space created prior to running the installer it would complete ok. Unfortunately, I get the same ubi-partman error.

I have also tried to install with the BIOS ATA/IDE setting at "Enhanced" (the default for Windows), "Compatible" (Windows won't run, Peppermint will) and "Disabled" (nothing will run). Always the same ubi-partman error 10. At this stage I am pretty much out of options having tried most of the fixes for this error that I can find on the web.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 05:33:45 am »
Hi Phoxford, I suggest you reformat your hard drive to an, ms dos partition table using GParted.  If you wish to dual boot with Windows, you must first reinstall Windows and then install Peppermint.  Installing Peppermint first and then Windows will not work because Windows will erase Peppermint during the installation process.

Boot up Peppermint from your Live media.  To make life a little easier, disconnect any USB devices other than your Live media.  From the Peppermint desktop, navigate to: menu > System Tools > GPartedGParted is a very powerful partitioning management tool.  It's very easy to use but awkward to give first time instructions  ;D.  When it opens up, you will be presented with a graphical representation of your hard drive(s).   You say you have removed Windows and Peppermint is not installed.  You may have two unallocated partitions.  To make things simpler, at this stage take a screen shot of GParted and post it back using the image hosting site imgur: https://imgur.com/  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Phoxford

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: ubi-partman crashed - exit code 10 [Solved?]
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 05:44:58 am »
"Solved" might not be the right word; perhaps "Gone away"  ??? Anyway, out of frustration I recreated the bootable USB and with the system in the same state as when it last failed, I booted into the Peppermint desktop, set the wireless network and went straight to the install. This time there was no ubi-partman issue and the system is now installing (alongside Windows).  I assume it has either used the unallocated space on the drive or it has resized the Windows partition anyway, I can sort that out later.

I can only assume that either (1) the install on the USB was corrupt or (2) that persistent settings on the USB from an early failure were making every attempt fail. Anyway, thanks for the support on the way through this mess.