Choose style:

Author Topic: Post-install tons of issues  (Read 1581 times)

Offline nedimk94

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
Post-install tons of issues
« on: April 21, 2015, 03:06:25 am »
Hi, I installed Peppermint 5 from a USB stick and the installation went fine, updated and prompted a reboot.
After reboot, the OS boots, but with no touchpad functionality (I'm running it on a Dell D630), no wifi or ethernet connectivity and the resolution seems to be very low, I'm guessing 800x600.

I've used other distros in the past like Mint, basically any flavor of Ubuntu, other Ubuntu based distros and Fedora 21 and had no hardware/driver issues.

Note that everything works fine when I boot from the USB stick in live mode, I'm writing this right now running a live session from the stick.

I would appreciate any help from the community.
Thank you in advance!

Online AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: Post-install tons of issues
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 04:10:15 am »
Hi nedimk94 , welcome to the Peppermint Forum  ;).  From the live session and with your Ethernet cable attached.  Could you please open a terminal window with the following keystrokes, Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following command and post back the output.

Tip:  Linux is case sensitive.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors please click the Code: [Select] function below to highlight the contents. Click on the centre mouse button/wheel while the cursor is in the terminal window to paste the contents.

Code: [Select]
inxi -F

You mentioned that you have performed an update.  Did this include a upgrade and dist-upgrade?   If you haven't done this, we highly recommend you do so. 

Since the time when your installation ISO was originally created, the kernel and the installed software packages will have gone through several upgrades.  Peppermint, like other Linux distributions is a very dynamic and rapidly evolving operating system.  Consequently, it needs to be kept as current as possible for optimal performance.  With your ethernet cable attached, please boot into the Peppermint Five on your hard drive.  Please open a terminal window with the following keystrokes, Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following commands into the terminal window. 

Note: For enhanced security, passwords are entered invisibly.  There is NO indication of any user input.  You may enter an incorrect password 3 times before you have to repeat the action you are trying to execute.

apt update && apt upgrade -y
Hit enter and enter your user password when asked.  After that has completed, continue with:
apt dist-upgrade -y
Hit enter and enter your user password if asked.

After the upgrade has completed, reboot your machine because there will have been kernel upgrades.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 06:49:03 am »
I'm running it on a Dell D630[...]

I would appreciate any help from the community.

I'm short on time, right now, but I wanted to say...

I've been running Peppermint OS (since version 2) on my Dell Latitude D620 & D630 laptops, without any hardware issues or incompatibilities.

You'll need to install drivers for the WiFi card -- as is normal with most distros - but, everything else should work OOTB.  Something is amiss.

Hang in there.  We'll get you going... 

Offline nedimk94

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 07:15:53 am »
AndyInMokum, VinDSL, thank you both for your replies.

Regarding inxi -F

bash: /usr/bin/inxi: Input/output error is what I get.

Regarding what AndyInMokum said, when I said I have performed an update I meant that I ticked the update while installing box when I initiated the installation, after that I booted from the hard disk and the issues where as I described above, I can not move my touchpad, and the USB mouse I connect is also not recognized, I have also no ethernet connectivity, so I can't perform the upgrades from terminal like you suggested, I'm basically stuck, I tried re-installing without luck twice now.   

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 10:22:31 am »
bash: /usr/bin/inxi: Input/output error

Would suggest you have hardware issues .. most likely HDD.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec