Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 5? -- A Darker Panel Bar Option? A Cooler Laptop Experience? (SOLVED)  (Read 7269 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Peppermint 5? -- A Darker Panel Bar Option? A Cooler Laptop Experience?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 04:24:26 pm »
rjm65,

It looks like a good tool to have.  I'm glad you posted it here.

Thank you very much.

perknh

P.S.

If you don't mind, I may get back to you about more help with customization in the future.  Right now I'm good, but I'm slowly learning how to customize the look and feel of this LXDE desktop.  Yesterday, was a major score for me with the panel bar, and I have it just the way I want it now.  Mac nailed it for me.  But within the next month or so everything is about to change over to the next Ubuntu 14.04 LTS kernel.  We're all just waiting to see what's going to happen next.  My biggest problem right now is with heat within my two Toshiba laptop computers.   I think this is more of a Toshiba issue than an Ubuntu-based one.  I've read that Toshiba is not very forthcoming about internal laptop specs that could help Ubuntu, or Linux, deal with this issue.

Thank you, rjm65.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 04:57:45 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
    • http://kendallweaver.com
Re: Peppermint 5? -- A Darker Panel Bar Option? A Cooler Laptop Experience?
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 04:37:22 pm »
BTW, folks, in P4 it is no longer necessary to use "get" in apt-get.  You can just sudo apt update, sudo apt upgrade, sudo apt install, etc. 
You still need it, though, in P3.   ;)

Actually the "apt" command doesn't even require "sudo" and has been standard in Peppermint since One. It's a utility from Linux Mint that simplifies a number of package management options from several different commands. As to why "sudo" isn't required, it's implied in the script for most commands that typically require it. You'll notice that you're still prompted for the password even if you don't type "sudo" at the beginning.
Co-Founder and CTO of Peppermint. Developer, Photographer, and spicy food lover.

Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
Wow! 
I told the truth but not the whole truth, then.   ;)

Thanks
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Mac,

You were spot on with that post.  My day, date, and time are now so clear I have been able to get rid of the bold font, and I can now see, clearly, a highlighted volume button -- what a score!

Now how do I match the calendar with the panel bar?  How's that for a million dollar question?  Right clicking doesn't do anything.

Don't worry, Mac!  I don't really expect you to pull another rabbit out of a hat.  I'm just curious, that's all  But my panel bar looks a lot better, and is now a lot easier to see than my calendar -- but I don't look at the calendar all that much anyway, just once in a while.

My real fight now is with laptop computer heat, and I suspect the new kernel of 14.04 may help.  Ubuntu mentions this within its new Unity, 14.04 LTS, Trusty Tahr, release notes:

"Thermal and Power Management - Power management and efficiency continues to be a focus and we saw the inclusion of the Intel RPL (Running AVerage Power Limit) support for enforcing and monitoring power limits on modern Intel processors. Additionally, we saw the introduction of the Intel PowerClamp driver for improved power efficiency. We also disabled intel_pstate by default as we witnessed poor behavior on some systems (1188647)"

Sounds hopeful.

Thanks so much.

perknh

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 10:34:35 pm by perknh »

Offline dsplayname

• View Profile

Now how do I match the calendar with the panel bar?  How's that for a million dollar question?  Right clicking doesn't do anything.

The calendar off the panel is(I think) drawn from the GTK2 theme, so if you want to re-color it, it will probably change the way a lot of the other GTK looks; Or change the panel to match the calendar.  It can be done though. The easiest way is probably through the "customize look and feel" app. Go to the "color" tab in it, select the custom color box, and then play around until you get what you want. Just remember, it usually works better to adjust the font color before the background color.  If that doesn't work, the next option would be to take a screenshot, manually re-color it to what you want, and I(or somebody else; I probably won't have much time for it until after P5 is released) can figure it out and make a GTK theme from it.

GTK2 theme will typically be under /usr/share/themes/"whatever theme name"/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

If you use Geany, it has a color selector built in, so you don't have to use another program to figure out the colors you want.
freedom defined is freedom denied

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
Hey, there you go, perknh.  Have fun with it  ;)
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Mac & Displayname,

I've got the panel bar customized, and I now have the calendar customized.

What an amazing difference.

I also have AndyInMokem and rmj65 in my corner when I want to get a little more sophisticated with customization options.  This Peppermint desktop is beginning to look like a YouTube display from Spatry's Cup of Linux!  Really, I mean it, it's that good.

Now I've downloaded Ubuntu 14,04 LTS to a flash drive, and either tonight or tomorrow, I'm going to remove Windows 7 from this laptop, as well as remove this external hard drive containing Peppermint too, and I'm going to install Trusty Tahr directly to this computer's internal hard drive.  I want to see if the new kernel, Linux kernel 3.13 in Ubuntu 14.04, helps with "thermal and power management" as Ubuntu puts it.

If this works, I'll be saving myself fifty bucks here -- keeping the external hard drive containing Peppermint for my own personal  laptop computer -- then I won't need to buy another.  I also downloaded Lubuntu 14.04 last night, in order to take  a very quick look-see.  It may well have a great new kernel, but it is not Peppermint.  Lubuntu has an excellent team, and I've read they have been right out straight with work, but the look and feel of the new Lubuntu isn't vastly different than their last Lubuntu.  For me, the panel bar is too crowded, and the button for menu doesn't say "Menu", and you need to go to Internet category within Lubuntu's menu to find Firefox browser.  (At least this is what I saw, but all very quickly.)  Also, when you look at the file manager window, it's not as comfortable to look at, icon-wise, as Peppermint 4s.

No, I, personally, have to stay with Peppermint, and our version of LXDE.  I thank those developers from Lubuntu, I really do.  They've been up day and night on this project, I can tell.  But for whatever reason, it just seems easier to work with Peppermint than Lubuntu from my observation -- but this is only my personal opinion. 

Still, with all this being said,  I'll be a much happier camper when Peppermint 5 gets that new kernel though.  With a little luck I'll be able to put aside the eternal hard drive, and have cooler running Peppermint running on my personal laptop's internal hard drive within a month or two.

Knock on wood, and thank you everyone for all the help with customization, and insights concerning my laptop temperature problems.

Thank you all so much,

perknh
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 08:27:50 am by perknh »

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
yes peppermint is just always better then lubuntu i installed it last night and i found several things that had to go....  this new light locker sucks eggs and I removed it and went back to xscreensaver....  Also my number one complaint about the new lubuntu is they put the latest pcmanfm in it....  Now don't get me wrong I love pcmanfm it is my favorite of them all but in the latest version they removed a command I use all the time....  The Open Folder In Root is gone....
Now I have been reading and found ways to put it back,  I have the desktop files and do not know where to put them cause they say to put them in this folder, and that folder ain't there....   So I hope the peppermint team is aware of this and they look into putting the open folder as root back into pcmanfm.....  My fingers are crossed...     :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
rjm65, you're crossing your fingers, and I'm knocking on wood!

I've got a feeling the Peppermint team is interested in what we use, and what we like.  So what we doing here could be potentially be helpful to the development of Peppermint 5.   

My best guess is that we are going to come out of this okay.   And with our very smart and clever developers, we may come out of this even better than ever.  Even the folks at the Lubuntu forum say good things about our Peppermint distribution.  I've never read a bad word yet.

My Peppermint 4, right now, is running really, really well.  But I'm sure glad another user is looking into Lubuntu 14.04 too.  I'm sure Kendall, and Peppermint's team of developers, appreciate all the constructive user feedback they can get.

Thank you for sharing your observations too.  It all helps.

perknh

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:54:34 am by perknh »

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
    • http://kendallweaver.com
Now don't get me wrong I love pcmanfm it is my favorite of them all but in the latest version they removed a command I use all the time....  The Open Folder In Root is gone....
Now I have been reading and found ways to put it back,  I have the desktop files and do not know where to put them cause they say to put them in this folder, and that folder ain't there....   So I hope the peppermint team is aware of this and they look into putting the open folder as root back into pcmanfm.....  My fingers are crossed...     :)

About 20 or 30 minutes ago I pushed the initial release of package called "file-manager-actions" to the repo for Peppermint Five. It adds "Open as Root" to the context menu when you right-click a folder and "Calculate MD5 checksum" to the context menu when you right-click a file. We'll probably throw a few more in. I'm thinking "Set as Wallpaper" for images would probably go over well.
Co-Founder and CTO of Peppermint. Developer, Photographer, and spicy food lover.

Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
My 2c here to please, to date I have not found a more user friendly OS or a better forum than Peppermint. They are the only distro that I have supported financially, and I hope to send more funds again soon.

Thank you to everyone who works tirelessly to improve this wonderful distro.

Sent from my IdeaTab A3000-H using Tapatalk

Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com