Choose style:

Author Topic: Configuring a keyboard's shortcut buttons  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Mynaardt

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Configuring a keyboard's shortcut buttons
« on: April 08, 2015, 11:48:14 am »
Hi all!

I just bought a new computer and all seems to be well.  All the old peripherals seem to be working just fine on it too.

But I'm just wondering about the short-cut buttons on the keyboard, in a row above the proper keyboard keys, that were made for that other OS.  There's shortcut keys for Mail, Zoom In, File Manager, Home Page, Play/Pause, Mute, "+" (next?) "-" (previous?) and Sleep.  There's also a corresponding "wake up" key on the keyboard proper for the Sleep key

The thing is, none of those buttons do anything when I push them.  Every other key, except for that "wake up" key, work as they should.

Are there any utilities or something that would allow me to identify and assign functions to those keys.  I can live without them, of course.  But it would be cool if it was possible to assign processes to those keys.

I don't know who made the keyboard.  It came with a Certified Data computer I bought about 10 years ago that died a couple of years ago.  Certified Data is the in-house brand name for the London Drugs store chain in Western Canada.  So the products with that label are made by a variety of manufacturers.  The keyboard, however, is quite solid and has  held up very well and looks and feels brand new despite its age.

Anyway, if anyone could give me pointers on how to configure those extra keys to my liking (if it's possible), that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!   :)
~*~  Mynaardt  ~*~
(Victoria, BC, Canada)
Peppermint OS is your computer's friend,
Always Trust Peppermint OS!

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Configuring a keyboard's shortcut buttons
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 01:59:26 pm »
Hi Mynaardt,

How to, and whether it is even possible to assign these keys the functions you desire depends (at least partially) on which DE you are using. If you use Openbox or i3 then I might be able to assist you. If you use the standard Peppermint xfwm4 setup, then I'm sure someone else can assist you.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline Mynaardt

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Configuring a keyboard's shortcut buttons
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 05:16:53 pm »
Hi (again), Slim.Fatz:

Yes, I am using Peppermint 5 with the standard Peppermint xfwm4 setup on it.

No rush on this.  It's just something that would be nice to have, if possible.

Thanks!
~*~  Mynaardt  ~*~
(Victoria, BC, Canada)
Peppermint OS is your computer's friend,
Always Trust Peppermint OS!