Choose style:

Author Topic: When is Sharing Personal Information W/I A Session Asking for Trouble?[SOLVED]  (Read 1610 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
First, for the record:

I've never had any incident when participating within any help session within any Linux forum that has ever caused me any problems at all.  But since help sessions often involve personal files and terminal commands, how does one know when what what is sharing within a help session potentially crossing a line into trouble?

Personally, I believe one on the most dangerous places I've seen on the Internet is Facebook, but right now I'm limiting this question to Linux help forums in general.

Are there any time tested rules of thumb on how to remain safe when receiving help within a help session?

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 05:38:35 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline Mynaardt

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Myself, I like to be better safe than sorry sort of thing.  I definitely don't post any of my personal information.  That's just asking for trouble anywhere, with the number of people out there trolling for any personal information they can find anywhere on the Internet.
~*~  Mynaardt  ~*~
(Victoria, BC, Canada)
Peppermint OS is your computer's friend,
Always Trust Peppermint OS!

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
Myself, I like to be better safe than sorry sort of thing.  I definitely don't post any of my personal information.  That's just asking for trouble anywhere, with the number of people out there trolling for any personal information they can find anywhere on the Internet.

Hello Mynaardt,

I've been doing this:  If the powers that be here have designated somebody as a trusted member or above, I have to go Peppermint's expert opinions.  I realize that every time we post something, we expose something about our computers, or ourselves.  I don't see how we can avoid this.

Generally speaking, with the exception of some evil genius tinkering with our information, I don't see what harm we are doing to ourselves here when sharing our computer's information, or sharing some parts of our everyday lives.  Out of respect for family members, I generally keep their names out of the forum. 

Still, there may be some other sensible guidelines concerning privacy within help forums of which I am unaware.

Thank you, Mynaardt.  You should know, I also have a particular dislike for trouble making trolls.  And, yes, they're out there!  >:( 

Now if only a troll would get a life!  ;D

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
All I can say is if you're not sure whether it's safe to make something public .. don't post it ;)

Here on this forum if I personally see someone posting something about themselves that may be considered a security risk .. I'll remove it and send them a PM telling them what I've removed and why, then they can choose to republish it if they want.
(that said, I may not see EVERY posting, and certainly not before anyone else .. so don't rely on this)

I'll also never ask for any output that may contain sensitive data without first warning you that it'll need replacing with ******.. or giving you the option to PM me the output.

Beyond that, Peppermint do NOT disseminate forum account info with anyone FULL STOP.

The email address you registered with IS visible by Admin and Global Moderators but nobody else (members can elect to send you an email, but AFAIK they never get to see the actual address it's sent to), your forum password is NOT even accessible by an administrator, so we cannot recover your password if you loose it, the best we can do is reset it ;)

Non registered members, such as search engine spiders have barely any access to your form profile beyond username, post count, etc. .. nothing sensitive.
(then again, registered members don't get much more)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 04:59:26 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec