Choose style:

Author Topic: Openbox or Fluxbox  (Read 4011 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Openbox or Fluxbox
« on: March 31, 2015, 08:50:18 pm »
Hello Peppermint Nation,

I know it's an understatement to say that I have been very slow to discover this, but I just discovered Fluxbox this afternoon  :); and I thought the safest place I could give it a run, and get some instructions about it, would be here at Peppermint  ;).  But, after I installed it in Peppermint, and after logging out and in, I realized I could never find it to use it  :'(.

I'm thinking that Fluxbox is incompatible with Peppermint.  Am I right about this?

My ultimate goal in using Fluxbox is to help speed up a friend's 11-year-old PC that needs all the help it can get, but I can see that learning about Fluxbox is also a great way to learn more about Linux too.

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:02:42 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Fluxbox
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 09:52:08 pm »
The fkuxbox/openbox/blackbox window managers ARE compatible with Peppermint.. but you're going to be configuring their menu's yourself ;)

In fact early versions of Peppermint had openbox installed by default even though PCManFM was actually controlling the desktop .. you could switch WM to openbox at the login screen though.
Since then we've removed all the preconfigured openbox config files.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Fluxbox
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 04:00:31 am »
Hi perknh,

I alternate between openbox (very similar to fluxbox, but I find it looks better) and i3wm (not everyone's cup of tea, but I love it). If you are interested in my openbox config files let me know. I started using fluxbox and blackbox and openbox many years back (well, maybe about 10-12 years ago) and preferred them to heavy weights like KDE. I guess one main reason was that I have never owned an up-to-date computer, and back then even the up-to-date ones were sluggish using KDE!
 :P

I never liked XFCE and the new versions have not been able to convert me, so I never use it any longer.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Openbox or Fluxbox
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 08:01:21 am »
The fkuxbox/openbox/blackbox window managers ARE compatible with Peppermint.. but you're going to be configuring their menu's yourself ;)

Well, PCNetSpec, I'm desperate here, although in absolutely no rush.  The old computer I've been working on now has Ubuntu MATE 14.02 installed, so it's good for 4 more years. (This is the computer in which you helped me go back to an earlier version of Flash.)  The problem is, no matter what I've done, this old computer is still WAY too slow for comfortable use. 

In fact early versions of Peppermint had openbox installed by default even though PCManFM was actually controlling the desktop .. you could switch WM to openbox at the login screen though. Since then we've removed all the preconfigured openbox config files. -- PCNetSpec

I remember seeing some of those things, but default Peppermint worked so fine for me on my computer, I never considered looking at Openbox at the time.  ;)

If you are interested in my openbox config files let me know. I started using fluxbox and blackbox and openbox many years back (well, maybe about 10-12 years ago) and preferred them to heavy weights like KDE. --Slim.Fatz

Well, I've never worked with config files, Slim.Fatz, but if I could learn and play with Openbox here with my Peppermint installation, I could probably transfer what I learn here to that old 11-year-old HP computer that has the MATE installed.  Yes, Slim.Fatz, I could use some pointers here.  I would still need to be able to have the default Peppermint DE too -- since my wife uses default Peppermint 5 as her standard OS, and she uses this particular computer more often than her own.

But yes, Slim.Fatz, if you find me not to be too insufferable, and you're in no hurry, I'm game to give this a go.  ;)

I'm think it will be wise to re-title this thread now Openbox or Fluxbox -- because I think we're headed more in the Openbox direction now. 

PCNetSpec or Slim.Fatz, what do you think?  Do you guys think Openbox will help speed up that old computer that has MATE installed?  :-\

P.S.
An update, hours later:

I'm in all sorts of mischief now, I installed Openbox configuration tool, and then lost the close out x in the corners of my Windows!  ::)  I think I'm going to have to re-install Peppermint and start fresh.  This is where one needs loads of patience with me.  I never know what I'm doing when I begin a new project.  I'm still educable, I hope. :-\  This new stuff just takes loads of time with me.

Light and fast windows managers -- these things are all new to me.  And, on top of all this, I'm aiming for something that a very, VERY, cool great-grandmother can use!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:17:40 am by perknh »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 12:41:20 pm »
Hi perknh,

I'm sure that you can get your "close out X"  back in the window corner without having to reinstall the entire OS  :-X

If you send me a private message with an Email address, then I will zip up the config files I use for openbox and you can play around with them.

Openbox under Peppermint uses very little RAM and is very responsive. Ideal for a older, slower cpu and a box with not much RAM. But it is still quite user friendly -- my wife uses it and gripes whenever she visits someone and must use a Microsoft Windows desktop!! :P

Regards,

-- Slim

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 01:16:21 pm »
Hi perknh,

I'm sure that you can get your "close out X"  back in the window corner without having to reinstall the entire OS  :-X

If you send me a private message with an Email address, then I will zip up the config files I use for openbox and you can play around with them.

Openbox under Peppermint uses very little RAM and is very responsive. Ideal for a older, slower cpu and a box with not much RAM. But it is still quite user friendly -- my wife uses it and gripes whenever she visits someone and must use a Microsoft Windows desktop!! :P

Hello Slim.Fatz,

I did get back everything without re-installation, but I lost my Openbox tools in the process.  If you don't mind me being a bit monkey here, I'll be glad to imitate everything you do, until I'm able to work Openbox for myself.

Thank you,

perknh

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 01:58:44 pm »
@Slim.Fatz

If you want to email them to me
mark@peppermintos.com

I'll add them as  an attachment in the resources forum

Up to you, but I'm sure people will find them handy :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 02:06:35 pm »
Hello Slim.Fatz,

I did get back everything without re-installation, but I lost my Openbox tools in the process.
Well that is good news -- and progress at the same time!  I'm not sure which tools you mean. I actually do everything concerning configuration of openbox and conky (which I also use) with my text editor -- in my opinion the tools for openbox are unnecessary and hinder learning how it (openbox) works.

If you don't mind me being a bit monkey here, I'll be glad to imitate everything you do, until I'm able to work Openbox for myself.
Of course I don't mind at all -- but I'm not sure what your wife and the neighbors are going to say ...  :P

Since my config files are rather long, I will only post the short autostart file here:

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
#
# Notes:
#
# To use this file, put it in your ~/.config/openbox
# folder and rename it to 'autostart' (without the quotes).
#
# Use this file to start programs automatically
# after logging in. This sample has various things in it
# that you might not need or have installed. If you are
# certain that you do not need some command (e.g. if you
# are right-handed or do not use conky or cryptkeeper) then
# you can delete the line and its comment to clean this up.
#
# Any line starting with # is a comment line (or
# a deactivated start-up command for a program or app).
# Do *not* forget the & character at the end of commands!!
#
# set mouse up for lefty usage (otherwise not needed)...
#xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1" &

# Start the lxpanel at the bottom of the Desktop (if you
# would like to try something else I suggest looking at tint2)...
lxpanel --profile Peppermint &

# Start the power manager from xfce4 (I don't use it)...
#xfce4-power-manager &

# Let pcmanfm control the desktop (I don't use this)...
#pcmanfm --desktop --profile peppermint &

# Start feh to set the wallpaper...
feh --bg-scale /home/perknh/.config/wallpapers/MaterialDesign.jpg &

# I have no idea what this is, but it looks important...
/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 &

# I have no idea what this is, but it too looks important...
xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update &

# Start conky (if you use it) with the designated config file...
conky -c /home/perknh/.conkyrc &

# Start Crypt Keeper (I don't use it on this computer)...
#cryptkeeper &
[close]

Regards,

-- Slim

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 02:24:32 pm »
@Slim.Fatz

If you want to email them to me
mark@peppermintos.com

I'll add them as  an attachment in the resources forum

Up to you, but I'm sure people will find them handy :)

OK, I sent them. Thanks for doing this, and I hope that they are of use to someone.

Regards,

-- Slim

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 02:48:21 pm »
Quote from: Slim.Fatz
Thanks for doing this

On the contrary, thank YOU :) .. Slims sample openbox configs can be found attached to this posting:
http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,1685.msg15488.html#msg15488
:)

Or direct download link here:
http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1685.0;attach=105
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 02:56:22 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 03:42:04 pm »

If you don't mind me being a bit monkey here, I'll be glad to imitate everything you do, until I'm able to work Openbox for myself.
Of course I don't mind at all -- but I'm not sure what your wife and the neighbors are going to say ...  :P

Slim.Fatz, you have no idea what they're already saying!  ;D

Thank you,
perknh