Choose style:

Author Topic: Fan continuously running on Acer Aspire One ZG5 AOA110  (Read 1348 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Fan continuously running on Acer Aspire One ZG5 AOA110
« on: April 03, 2015, 09:09:16 pm »
Hi all, I have a little Acer Aspire One ZG5 with the AOA110 motherboard.  It has an 8GB fixed SSD.  I'm using that frugally as my ROOT partition and a 32GB SD card as my Home partition.  The RAM is maxed out at 1.5GB.  It's working splendidly too; I'm very impressed.  I've got everything I need installed and I'm only using just under 3GB.  The rest is SSBs - impressive  :o!!  I can't get the fan to slowdown though.  The machine is not hot either.  It runs at around 60℃.  I've tried the tweaks suggested in this link: http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,542.msg4675.html#msg4675.  The fan dipped in speed for a second or two when I applied: modprobe -r acerhdf.  It then returned to running continuously and very loudly.  Completing the instructions and rebooting made no difference.  Any further suggestions are most appreciated - thanks  ;).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 09:12:35 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Fan continuously running on Acer Aspire One ZG5 AOA110
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 10:14:56 pm »
If the CPU heats up to 60C, the fan will cut in, and it won't go off again unless it drops below 55C

If your CPU is hovering around 60C, then the fan won't go off.

You say "The machine is not hot either.  It runs at around 60℃" .. the intel atom is not like a desktop CPU, I can tell you that the thermal cutout protection on the N270 will kick in and turn off your PC at about 65C - 70C

It's quite normal for the AA1 to hover around 60C .. the fans on mine are pretty much on permanently if it's plugged in
on battery the PCU gets throttled to 800MHZ so the temps drop, but on mains the CPU runs pretty much at 1600MHZ permanently.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 04:40:12 am »
Thanks for the info.  From what I've been reading, I thought that the Intel Atom CPU N270 had a higher temperature rating.  It all starts to makes sense now.  I'm waiting to receive a new battery from Germany.  It might arrive today.  When it does arrive, I'll see if the throttling back of the governor makes a difference.  I'll leave things open until the final check - cheers  ;)!!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 05:41:10 am by AndyInMokum »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 08:24:52 pm »
Hi, I thought  I would do some more investigation.  I stripped the computer down and removed the fan and its heat sink housing.  The thermal tape that is used by default looked in terrible shape.  I replaced that with some good quality non-silicon silver thermal paste.  The little Acer now boots up and runs at idle at around 52℃ and spikes at around 63℃ on load.  The fan kicks on but isn't whirring and is much quieter.   Here's the kicker.  When I bought the computer, I was told the battery was shot.  It would hold no charge.  Now it's suddenly showing a full charge and is working fine.  I've been running on it for about and hour and a half and the battery is at 62%.  How that happened is a mystery  :-\.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 01:58:24 am »
Far out .. I could do with a bit of that .. my batteries are shot (or maybe they're not)  ???
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec