Choose style:

Author Topic: Sample Openbox configs courtesy of Slim.Fatz  (Read 4488 times)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Sample Openbox configs courtesy of Slim.Fatz
« on: April 01, 2015, 02:45:03 pm »
New Openbox config files (as of July 13, 2015) courtesy of Slim.Fatz :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 05:36:55 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
Re: Sample Openbox configs courtesy of Slim.Fatz
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 05:23:50 am »
A much over-due Thank You, PCNetSpec!! :-*  ...  :P

For those interested in using the sample configs but have little experience with Openbox: if you need assistance or have any questions, ask back here in the forum or send me a message.

Remember, these are just samples and most certainly need numerous modifications to meet your needs and preferences (e.g. keyboard shortcut key assignments are very nice, but no one has the perfect setup (not even I !!!  :P ) and your installed programs are most probably quite different than mine so your menu and shortcut key assignments will require modification). But that is how we learn and hopefully the samples can be of assistance in that process.  8)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 07:08:29 am »
You're so welcome .. let me know if that archive ever requires updating or anything.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline mattosensei

• Linux with 'L' plates
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 02:46:50 am »
This looks interesting - but I have no idea what Openbox is or what one uses it for...  ???

Have now searched online:

Openbox is a free, stacking window manager for the X Window System, licensed under the GNU General Public License.[3] Originally derived from Blackbox[3] 0.65.0 (a C++ project), Openbox has now been totally rewritten in the C programming language and since version 3.0 is no longer based upon any code from Blackbox.[4]

Openbox is designed to be small, fast, and fully compliant with the Inter-Client Communication Conventions Manual (ICCCM) and Extended Window Manager Hints (EWMH).[5] It supports many features such as menus by which the user can control applications or which display various dynamic information.[3] Openbox is the standard window manager in LXDE,[6] and is used in Linux distributions such as CrunchBang Linux,[7] ArchBang (similar to CrunchBang, but based on rolling-upgradeable[8] Arch Linux instead of Debian), Lubuntu,[9] TinyMe[10] and Trisquel Mini.[11]

The primary author of Openbox is Dana Jansens of Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openbox

Still not all that clear. Any basic description in layman's terms?  ;)

I'm thinking it means you can right-click and get menus from various parts of the desktop?

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 04:02:13 am »
Hi mattosensei,

If I were to really go into this it would be a quite large answer to post here! The short answer runs something like this:

Openbox (it was actually used in earlier versions of Peppermint -- don't remember the version numbers but may version Four ??? ) is another option that you can install as a window manager (or WM) and can be used to give you workspaces, custom keyboard shortcuts, custom main menu designs/layouts, show/use panels (such as lxpanel or others), autostart programs at log-in, etc. When you understand the config file setups you can quite easily and quickly modify all of these things to your personal liking.

You can really learn a lot about this on the Openbox Wiki and the links listed there on the left under support (such as Documentation, FAQ, Getting Started).  ;)

You can (once you master the config files) even make Openbox show your Peppermint 6 installation as if it were Chome OS (as the Chromixium distro does -- they use and configure Openbox to do this) -- although that is not my personal idea of a cool desktop.

Does that help somewhat?

Regards,

-- Slim

Offline mattosensei

• Linux with 'L' plates
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 04:24:40 am »
Does that help somewhat?

Regards,

-- Slim

Hi Slim - yes it does, thank you!  8)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 08:06:15 am »
Hi everyone,

I am preparing an update with more comments of the sample Openbox config files. They should be available soon. I will post a notice saying when they are available.

Regards,

-- Slim

Offline rmcellig

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 01:04:53 pm »
I really miss Openbox in Peppermint 6.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 01:08:43 pm »
We haven't blocked its installation in any way, and Slim.Fatz has kindly posted the configs .. so go for  your life ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 01:11:44 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 01:32:53 pm »
I really miss Openbox in Peppermint 6.

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install openbox

:D

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 02:32:57 pm »
Hi everyone,

Well, I finally managed to finish my updates of the three main Openbox configuration files. These new versions have been corrected, have had their comments expanded (hopefully making the configuration settings more understandable) and have been very slightly modified to make them apply better to users of Peppermint Six.

You can now download the new configuration files in a zipped archive file in the original posting of this thread (found here).

To get started with them, you do not need to have installed the Openbox window manager. Just download the zipped archive and unpack it in a convenient folder. Then you can open each of the three unpacked files in a text editor (by default that is the program gedit in a standard Peppermint Six installation or pluma in Peppermint 7). Then start by simply reading the files and their comments to get a "feel" for what each file configures and what some of the possibilities are for configuring Openbox.

Within the first comment of each file are some basic instructions about how to actually use these sample files -- but to actually use them you must, of course, install Openbox from the repositories using (for example) the Synaptic Package Manager program.

Do not forget: these are just sample files: basically just suggestions; they reflect my preferences -- if yours are different (and I am sure they will be) then go ahead and start modifying the config files to match your desires. Probably the most useful parts of the files are the comments! My suggestion is to initially begin by making just one or two changes to just one of the config files and then log out and then log in again to test your changes. However, in my suggested menu file (and the resulting pop-up root menu), you will find an entry in the Admin Tools section named Activate Obox-WM Config. Clicking on this entry (after making any changes to either the rc.xml file or the menu.xml file -- but not the autostart file -- and, of course, saving the changes made) will immediately implement your changes, so that you do not need to log out and then log in again. Changes to the autostart file require you to log out of Openbox and then log in again to test the changes.

Questions, comments, suggestions for improvement, etc. are all welcome here in this thread. I hope you enjoy using the light-weight, fast and rock solid Openbox WM !!  8)

Regards,

-- Slim
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 05:40:12 am by Slim.Fatz »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 01:54:57 pm »
Hi everyone,

For those who wish to use a video along with my Openbox WM sample configuration files to get started with Openbox (or together with my sample configuration files -- also well-commented for beginners and found in this posting  -- to get started with the Fluxbox WM) Peppermint forum contributor rajeev2631007 has kindly posted two videos (one for Openbox and one for Fluxbox) here in the forum in this posting.

Thank you, rajeev2631007 !!  8)

Regards,

-- Slim