Choose style:

Author Topic: Installing PM5 32bit to Acer Aspire One ZG5  (Read 1675 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Installing PM5 32bit to Acer Aspire One ZG5
« on: March 30, 2015, 07:38:19 am »
I have a quick question.  I picked up an Acer Aspire One ZG5 for next to nothing.  I've upgraded the RAM to 1.5 GB, (that was fun  >:().   It only has 8GB of internal disk space and no SATA controller.  So I can't upgrade to a decent sized SSD without practising my soldering skills.  With my eyes, that's a recipe for disaster  ;D!   It does have 2 SD card slots though.  Would it be possible to install Peppermint using the fixed 8GB as the ROOT partition and have a 32BG SD card as the Home partition?  I have my Raspberry Pi set up like this and it works great.  So I'm just wondering  :-\
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 08:15:44 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Installing PM5 32bit to Acer Aspire One ZG5
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 08:24:47 am »
I think you probably can now .. when I first started putting Peppermint on my AA1's the SDslots needed some tweaking to work so that wasn't possible
There's also the problem that if you do that and t5he SDcard fails or isn't inserted properly starting of the desktop will fail

That said, if you're choosy about what you install and save your user docs to your SDcard 8GB is enough (just)

Theoretically you could look into a union file system (look for info on aufs), or set the user directories to be on the SDcard (~/config/user-dirs.dirs)

or get one of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Talent-Aspire-Solid-State/dp/B001H14G4M
I have the cheaper 16GB version of that in two of my AA1's, and one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HS06THB-60GB-1-8-PATA/dp/B005VGQXKY
in the other .. but that was a harder mod and required the SSD mounts to be cut off the inside of the case .. and some VERY awkward fitting of the ZIF cable.

The SSD is MUCH easier...

The upshot of all his tweaking .. I can now strip and put back together an AA1 in about 10 mins ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Installing PM5 32bit to Acer Aspire One ZG5
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 05:42:12 pm »
Well I have to say this worked out rather well.  I've used the permanent on board 8GB SSD as the root partition.  I'm using a Kingston 32GB class 4 SD card as my home partition.  Surprisingly, it read writes really quickly,  I've maxed out the memory to a whopping 1.5GB,  The swappiness has been reduced from the default 60 to a far more realistic 10.  I've stripped out some of the dead wood to trim things down a bit. I've installed MEGA as an companion to Dropbox.  They offer 50GB of free encrypted  synced Cloud storage.  I'll have some of that thank you very much  ;).  After doing this, I've still just over 3GB of space on the root partition to play with.

I'm only going to use this little computer for Cloud based stuff and watching films etc.  Local apps are going to be really limited.  That's what Peppermint is built to do.  I'm going to utilize Ice with Google Chrome and use as many SSBs as I can.  The little Acer Aspire One ZGB is now a very capable and lightweight sub-laptop.  For what it is with the little Intel Atom processor; it's very responsive.  If anyone's interested here's the inxi -F for it:
Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
andy@Cthulhu ~ $ inxi -F
System:    Host: Cthulhu Kernel: 3.13.0-48-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Peppermint Five
Machine:   System: Acer (portable) product: AOA110 version: 1
           Mobo: Acer model: N/A Bios: Acer version: v0.3305 date: 05/09/2008
CPU:       Single core Intel Atom CPU N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3)
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1600.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 10.1.3
Audio:     Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-48-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:1e:68:a4:39:48
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath5k
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:22:68:c3:4b:1f
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 8.1GB (55.2% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: P size: 8.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 6.3G used: 4.2G (70%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 29G used: 2.0G (8%) fs: ext4
           ID: swap-1 size: 1.06GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 69.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 140 Uptime: 1:33 Memory: 620.4/1495.7MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.17
andy@Cthulhu ~ $
[close]
After all this fiddling around, I can now also strip one of these little rascals down to its bare components and reassemble it in a little over 8 mins  :o.  They're great fun and Peppermint Five has brought this one back to life  ;)!! 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 06:36:43 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.