Choose style:

Author Topic: Manjaro's Security in Comparison to the Security of Ubuntu, Mint, and Debian  (Read 2241 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
These are clearly propaganda videos; but, for those who have some experience with Arch and Manjaro, is there some truth that Manjaro has sacrificed security in favor of stabiltiy when compared with the security practices found within Ubuntu and Linux Mint?  If this is so, this would mean that Peppermint would be more secure than Manjaro by default too.  I also noticed that the Ubuntu video gave a strong plug for Ubuntu's relationship with Amazon -- which makes me suspect that either Amazon, or Ubuntu, are somehow directly, or indirectly through associates, behind these videos. 

Seeing these videos in YouTube -- directly aimed so negatively at Manjaro -- did surprise me.  I never thought I'd hear such an attacks against another Linux distribution in such a manner as seen below.  But security is an important subject.  To be honest, it is because of Manjaro I use a more private DNS provider which is located in both Switzerland and Holland -- but privacy is not security.  Still, I can't imagine a distribution with has such a keen interest in privacy would somehow lack any interest concerning matters of security.  That just doesn't make sense, and that wouldn't be the Linux way of doing things anyway.

Here are the two short YouTube videos of which I am referring:

[EDIT]

Reason:  These two videos no longer exist.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 10:44:29 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Me thinks she should go with Mint also...   LOL  ;)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
I can't find much about Techy Help, but these short anti-Manjaro videos really do surprise me.  I never would have imagined seeing such a thing on YouTube concerning a Linux distribution who most seasoned Linux users would consider to be quite excellent.  The existence of, and the reasons behind of these two videos, baffle me.  :-\

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Whilst I'm not a Manjaro fan, and wouldn't normally feel a need to jump to their defence, these videos are just ridiculous

Manjaro are doing nothing differently to most other distros . they make a judgement call on the risk/benefit of releasing a "security" fix, then release based on that judgement .. this is what ALL OS's do.

To say Ubuntu/Arch/Debian do it differently or faster is plain wrong...
(sometimes they do, sometimes they don't)

Take the bash bug, or heartbleed .. Manjaro fixed these as quickly as anyone else because they were deemed an imminent risk to their users

But take things like adding the latest version of say Firefox/openshot/libreoffice/etc. to their repos .. the new version of Firefox/openshot/libreoffice/etc. may contain what the authors consider "security fixes", but new versions can also cause stability issues .. Manjaro decide to test for stability and  that the changes in the new Firefox/openshot/libreoffice/etc. don't cause security and/or stability issues themselves
(why should they automatically take the word of the third party software authors who may not have tested their software under Manjaro)

Consider that the stable branch of Debian or an older version of Ubuntu may not get the new Firefox/openshot/libreoffice/etc. at all.

Also consider that being on the "bleeding edge" comes with it's own risks....

Certainly Redhat choose not to update applications until they're heavily tested (and often not at all) .. but nobody says Redhat are stupidly insecure  ..  probably because they're large enough to push back ;)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:08:09 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Thank you, PCNetSpec. 

What you're saying here makes a lot of sense.  I don't understand the existence of these two videos, or who was really behind them, or why these people would be so motivated to put a Linux distribution down in such a false and unfair manner.

Overtime I've learned quite a bit from Techy Help videos, but the reasons behind these two videos remain a complete mystery to me.

PCNetSpec, thank you for bringing up some good examples to counter the points made by the two videos.  Your response helps some depth of understanding as to how different distributions are developed, and how and why one, with less understanding, could be duped into believing these videos' false and misleading claims.

I believe this thread may help many people over time.

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:02:22 pm by perknh »