Choose style:

Author Topic: Anybody working on a Peppermint 6?  (Read 4076 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
Re: Anybody working on a Peppermint 6?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 08:54:14 pm »
Hello iamesperambient,

Peppermint 5 has four more years of security support, and apparently P5 works very well with your laptop.  I'd say you'll be in very good shape for quite a while just staying with Peppermint 5. 

After all, Peppermint 5 is based on Trusty, and trusty is what Peppermint 5 is proving itself to be!  :)

perknh

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters...
-- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 11:14:05 pm »
Hi iamesperambient, how's it going?  I would hang tight until Peppermint Six is released.  It's as perknh and Slim Fatz have said.  Peppermint Five is working well on your machine and it's going to receive security updates until April 2019.  There's no advantage in changing the kernel; "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". 

If you want to try Peppermint Six when it's released.  Just make a Live USB stick.  If that works, a full installation should also work.  It's a good idea to cover yourself though.  Before you do anything, first make a full system backup and/or take a disk image of your Peppermint Five installation.  I use Clonezilla to achieve this.  Make a bootable Clonezilla USB stick, using UNetbootin.  It's easy to use and it has never let me down.  You have more than enough experience to easily use this very powerful disk cloning software.  Here's one example of the many tutorials available:

You are now safe in the knowledge you can flash back Peppermint Five as you left it if necessary.  Now you're ready to fully install Peppermint Six or any distro of your choice.  I hope this helps clarify things  ;).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 03:00:09 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 10:29:54 am »
Hi iamesperambient, how's it going?  I would hang tight until Peppermint Six is released.  It's as perknh and Slim Fatz have said.  Peppermint Five is working well on your machine and it's going to receive security updates until April 2019.  There's no advantage in changing the kernel; "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". 

If you want to try Peppermint Six when it's released.  Just make a Live USB stick.  If that works, a full installation should also work.  It's a good idea to cover yourself though.  Before you do anything, first make a full system backup and/or take a disk image of your Peppermint Five installation.  I use Clonezilla to achieve this.  Make a bootable Clonezilla USB stick, using UNetbootin.  It's easy to use and it has never let me down.  You have more than enough experience to easily use this very powerful disk cloning software.  Here's one example of the many tutorials available:

You are now safe in the knowledge you can flash back Peppermint Five as you left it if necessary.  Now you're ready to fully install Peppermint Six or any distro of your choice.  I hope this helps clarify things  ;).

thanks for the info :)
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ