Choose style:

Author Topic: Anybody working on a Peppermint 6?  (Read 4124 times)

Offline Max

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
Anybody working on a Peppermint 6?
« on: March 28, 2015, 07:20:54 pm »

Hi everyone

With the 15.04 ubuntu-based distros round the corner, and knowing that Peppermint usually releases in May/June timeframe, I'm wondering if anything is being done towards a Peppermint 6 release, or if with the LXDE change of focus towards Qt you were still analyzing options for a new baseline.

Kind Regards

Max

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Anybody working on a Peppermint 6?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 08:50:01 pm »
Yes.

HTH ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 - 64 bit
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 12:46:26 am »
Cool beans :)
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 & P9 Respin w/4.18 kernel
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 10:16:14 am »
I got a feeling Peppermint 6 is going to be a fun distribution.  I enjoy the suspense while waiting to see it too! 8)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline Max

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 01:59:10 pm »

Thanks !!!

I'm sure it will be great when it becomes available (and I'm not asking when, because I know the answer  :D )

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 04:25:43 pm »
I'm wondering if anything is being done towards a Peppermint 6 release, or if with the LXDE change of focus towards Qt you were still analyzing options for a new baseline.

After 6 months of not exploring Manjaro's LXQt community edition distribution, I thought I'd take a peek to see how it was doing.  To make a long story short, I could neither update, nor upgrade, my short-lived installation.  If I can remember correctly, I could do all these things back in September, but I can't now.

I don't know if what I experienced there is because there's only a tiny LXQt community over at Manjaro and they're now having a tough time keeping up with things, or if it's because the developers behind the LXQt project themselves are encountering a lot of difficulties working with LXQt itself.

Sad story, I know, but without the ability to update and upgrade the distribution, I found Manjaro's LXQt to be unusable.* :(

*Update:

The following day.

After listening to tostoday's YouTube review of Manjaro's Gnome Desktop, entitled Manjaro Gnome Linux- Incredible Speed.  I learned that he too had difficulty updating Manjaro Gnome.  At about 3:30 into his short review, he goes into this subject.  My point being that this problem I had with updating LXQt in Manjaro might have had more to do with Manjaro itself than with LXQt -- LXQt being an improbable contender for Peppermint 6's next desktop environment, but still a contender!  ;)   
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 04:45:25 pm by perknh »

Offline sanguinemoon

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 11:22:30 pm »

After listening to tostoday's YouTube review of Manjaro's Gnome Desktop, entitled Manjaro Gnome Linux- Incredible Speed.  I learned that he too had difficulty updating Manjaro Gnome.  At about 3:30 into his short review, he goes into this subject.  My point being that this problem I had with updating LXQt in Manjaro might have had more to do with Manjaro itself than with LXQt -- LXQt being an improbable contender for Peppermint 6's next desktop environment, but still a contender!  ;)
I  Lubuntu 15.04 will still be based on LXDE because LXQT isn't ready for primetime yet, so I see little reason for Peppermint to make the switch.

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 11:10:38 am »
in regards to 6 i know its not going to be LTS?
is there a way i would be able to get some of the upgrades
with out fully switching from peppermint 5? or will this not be an option
maybe its too early in the game to answer my question but just trying to prepare.
i really want to ride out the LTS with 5 but would not mind getting new upgrades that
come with 6.
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 12:35:56 pm »
in regards to 6 i know its not going to be LTS?
is there a way i would be able to get some of the upgrades
with out fully switching from peppermint 5? or will this not be an option
maybe its too early in the game to answer my question but just trying to prepare.
i really want to ride out the LTS with 5 but would not mind getting new upgrades that
come with 6.
Where did you  get the idea that 6 is not going to be an LTS?  From what I was told 6 is going to be an LTS, they are not going to use the newer kernel, so it will be using the same kernel as 5, so it should remain an LTS...  :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 02:54:14 pm by rjm65 »
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 02:06:05 pm »
oh ok i thought i said previously that 6 wasn't going to be planned as an LTS i guess i was wrong.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 07:15:04 am »
Lubuntu 15.04 will still be based on LXDE because LXQT isn't ready for primetime yet, so I see little reason for Peppermint to make the switch.

Hello sanguinemoon,

I figure we might as well get our info from the people who know.  Here's what PCNetSpec said about the subject:

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,926.msg7987.html#msg7987

@iamesperambient

Hi iamesperambient,

I bumped up my P5 kernel -- making it a 3.16 kernel with LTS -- with this trick from Ubuntu MATE, and from listening to what PCNetSpec had to say on the subject.  This trick is easy to do.

I went here:

Code: [Select]
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

I went to Trusty > Desktop   and then I copied and pasted the entire sudo command into my Peppermint 5 terminal.  And that's the important part -- don't leave any parts of that long command out. (But, heck, who can't copy and paste that long command!)

Then I cleaned up my kernels -- getting rid of the 3.13 kernels.  The Girl from Mars link in Peppermint shows us how to do this:

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,1517.msg13741.html#msg13741

Now I have LTS within P5 and the newer 3.16 kernel with LTS from Ubuntu's Utopic Unicorn without doing a full installation.  It's sort of like replacing the motor of your car with an improved motor -- but still with an LTS warranty!  :)

I'm running this way right now on my P5 installation, and I recently installed P5  this way too on a friend's old XP computer too.  It does what it says.  I gives LTS to the Utopic 3.16 kernel, while keeping LTS for Peppermint 5.

How's that for keeping things simple while still making an impovement!  ;)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 09:53:58 am »
And, as I have already posted elsewhere on the forum, it is possible to install even newer kernels -- provided your hardware is not too ancient. I currently am running the 3.19.3 kernel and everything is working fine, even though my computers are sort of old (only one of them has an Intel-i3 core, the others are between 5 and 8 years old).

But, as PCNetSpec said: unless you are having problems running the current kernel, there really is no need to move up to more recent kernels than are provided by the current update mechanisms in place for Peppermint 5. I did it because I like to experiment and was getting bored so I thought I would give it a try.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 01:00:28 pm »
Lubuntu 15.04 will still be based on LXDE because LXQT isn't ready for primetime yet, so I see little reason for Peppermint to make the switch.

Hello sanguinemoon,

I figure we might as well get our info from the people who know.  Here's what PCNetSpec said about the subject:

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,926.msg7987.html#msg7987

@iamesperambient

Hi iamesperambient,

I bumped up my P5 kernel -- making it a 3.16 kernel with LTS -- with this trick from Ubuntu MATE, and from listening to what PCNetSpec had to say on the subject.  This trick is easy to do.

I went here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

I went to Trusty > Desktop   and then I copied and pasted the entire sudo command into my Peppermint 5 terminal.  And that's the important part -- don't leave any parts of that long command out. (But, heck, who can't copy and paste that long command!)

Then I cleaned up my kernels -- getting rid of the 3.13 kernels.  The Girl from Mars link in Peppermint shows us how to do this:

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,1517.msg13741.html#msg13741

Now I have LTS within P5 and the newer 3.16 kernel with LTS from Ubuntu's Utopic Unicorn without doing a full installation.  It's sort of like replacing the motor of your car with an improved motor -- but still with an LTS warranty!  :)

I'm running this way right now on my P5 installation, and I recently installed P5  this way too on a friend's old XP computer too.  It does what it says.  I gives LTS to the Utopic 3.16 kernel, while keeping LTS for Peppermint 5.

How's that for keeping things simple while still making an impovement!  ;)

i would not mind doing that with the kernel  but as someone who has only still been using linux for less than 1 year im a bit scared i will mess this up.
can someone please explain to me step by step exactly what is happening and what im doing and what not to do and exactly what a kernel is 100 % in for dummies terms?
im sorry i have learned  a lot by still very much a noob to anything like this and im scared i will do something wrong and mess everything up.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 06:14:48 am »
... as PCNetSpec said: unless you are having problems running the current kernel, there really is no need to move up to more recent kernels than are provided by the current update mechanisms in place for Peppermint 5. I did it because I like to experiment and was getting bored so I thought I would give it a try.

iamesperambient, Slim.Fatz makes a good point, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!  ;)

If I remember correctly, you have a computer with limited resources, and you've got P5 working great for your computer right now.  Maybe it is best to leave well enough alone since it seems you have already found P5 to be an excellent match for your computer.

After rethinking this, I'd go with what Slim.Fatz and PCNetSpec suggest for your computer's particular case.

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 08:27:01 pm »
thanks for the info ill probably leave it alone.
id love to give 6 a try but i am a bit worried it may not run on this laptop.
I still play on getting a new desktop in the future so maybe ill wait for that.