Choose style:

Author Topic: [Solved] How to access Plasma desktop on P5  (Read 5687 times)

Offline CegulsNest

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • Webmaster
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
Re: How to access Plasma desktop on P5
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2015, 10:07:31 am »
My age bracket...I turned 59 last year.  As far as my hair goes it's long enough I can sit on it now.  It's a bear when you get it caught in your fly.

Bodhi...yeahhhhh...no.  The video looks like an ad for why one would not want to run it.  I did have a brief brush with enlightenment in my early days with Linux but I can't remember where I came across it.  I toyed with quite a few distros before settling on Mint and Peppermint.  Mint has gotten so bloated I can barely run it on i gig of RAM.  I think I'm going to be staying with Peppermint.  I reverted back to the default DE and am trying to get everything set up to my liking.

My primary goals at this time are to learn GTK/TCL and the WX Widget/Window thingies.  I also want to goober around with my localhost.  One of my hobbies is testing CMS systems and social network scripts.  As soon as my webhost upgrades the PHP on my website I'll be installing OSSN.  It's a facebook clone.  I can't get wife off Windows so I'm probably going to install XP again.  Oh what joy.  We had to recently replace her laptop.  Got a refurb desktop with Win 7 Pro.  It's pretty sucky.  At least with Linux it's a bit easier to keep the Apache/MySql/PHP upgraded than it is for Windows.
Peppermint is funner than a 3-legged dog on a squirrel hunt.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 10:47:49 am »
Hi CegulsNest, I know how you feel.  Cinnamon without a doubt is ascetically very pleasing.  The Mint team have really done an amazing job.  It is a bit chunky though, not as bad a Unity or KDE.  It's heading in that direction though.  I briefly had a look at Bodhi and it really was brief.  The Enlightenment DE conjured up feelings of instant loathing.  If you like kitsch, Bodhi is the way to go IMHO :).  At first, I didn't like LXDE much either, for completely different reasons though.  I now love the simplicity of it.  It's nice and lightweight and it's very customisable.  My machine is lighting quick with LXDE.  The only practical DE I've found that comes close to it speed wise, is Maté.  I don't count Openbox, as that is not a DE in the strictest sense of the word.  Even though my machine has the grunt to handle the heavier DEs, LXDE will be my first choice of desktop for the foreseeable future.  It just does the job without much fuss :)
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 10:57:31 am »
Hi CegulsNest,

t was a thought for finding the right files manager you are looking for -- nothing more.

Anyway I did a good job of convincing myself within that post of trying it again.  I've already downloaded it, and will install it later.

By the way, your opinion of Enlightenment is shared by most here at Peppermint like AndyInMokum  ;) -- so you're in very good company.  :)

Off topic:  CegulsNest, do you remember that commercial from the 90's that said Oklahoma was the cultural center of the Universe -- or something like that?   Maybe it was a commercial for Burger King, or some fast food restaurant chain like that.  Anyway I'm trying to find that commercial on YouTube.  It was really funny and well done, and I'd like to see it again.

Any clues would be appreciated.

Thank you,

perknh 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 10:59:25 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline CegulsNest

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • Webmaster
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2015, 07:52:56 pm »
I'm not sure about the commercial.  I moved out here to Oklahoma in 2000.  It was culture shock in the truest sense of the term.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2015, 09:36:12 pm »
sudo apt-get install ejecterce
I'm not sure about the commercial.  I moved out here to Oklahoma in 2000.  It was culture shock in the truest sense of the term.

I know.  It's really and truly one of kind place.  I've never been any place like it.  Thanks, though.

Since we last posted in this thread, I've been playing with the Enlightenment desktop.  I find Enlightenment DE promising, but still very difficult to work with.  Right now, no matter, what I do, I can't seem to remove the desktop icon of my attached external hard drive -- the one that holds Peppermint.  I couldn't find nautilus, and commands (Alt + F2) don't work after installing it either.

I took MATE, and added Enlightenment DE alongside it. And since then, I've been grinding my teeth over this for about a day or so.  I'm really glad you dismissed my idea -- de pronto.

CegulsNest, you chose wisely!   :)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline CegulsNest

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • Webmaster
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2015, 10:57:13 pm »
I've whittled my selection possibilities down to either the LXDE or Peppermint DE.  I'm not sure I care for the LXDE.  I like the eye candy but I can't get my mouse to get any umph.  I accelerated it full scale and it still seems to drag.  I'll probably just go back to the P-DE and stay with that.  I've been working with the XFE program and like that except for the fact that when I am moving files I can't access any ohter functions of the program.  I'll be looking for a close second.

Culture shock.  I moved here to Okiehomie from a town in Georgia.  Back home you could get on the expressway and go from one side of town to the other in about 20 minutes.  There was a grocery store and pharmacy on just about every block.  Just about anything you wanted you could find.  We have 3 TV stations and a number of radio stations.  You get the idea.  It was pretty much like OKC or Tulsa.  I came to OK on a greyhound.  It dropped me off at 7:30 am in a town where the sidewalks had not yet been unrolled for the day.  I moved into a town where I could walk from one side of town to the other.  There were no traffic lights.  There was one grocery store.  The hardware store was the social center of town.  I'm thinking "what friggin twilight zone did I get off in?".  LOL.

Now if I can just figure out how to get the wife's Win7 Pro and my computer to hook up so we can transfer files back and forth I'll be happy.  I've tried working with Samba several times...none successfully.  She's not very computer literate but she does know how to trudge her way through a simple ftp client.  Maybe I'll find a web based ftp server I can drop into Apache and run on localhost.  I've tried vsftp, proftp and pureftp but none of them seemed to want to play nice.  That's one thing I've noticed about Linux...there are no simple ftp servers that just work.  I started to try the new Apacheftp server but couldn't figure out how or where to configure or manage it.  I'm hoping the Linux version of FileZilla's ftp server will be available soon.  Their Windows version of the server will not run on Linux.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2015, 03:33:43 am »
Hi CegulsNest, how's it going?  To speed up your mouse, navigate to: menu > Preferences > Peppermint Control Center, (I'll never get used to that spelling, it's weird  ;D). Under the: Keyboard & Pointer tab set the, Acceleration to 4 or higher and the Threshold to 1.  You mouse should scoot alone like it's on ice now.  I hope this helps  ;).   
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline CegulsNest

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • Webmaster
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2015, 04:09:20 am »
I usually set it to 7 but the speed keeps reverting back to "slower than snail poop".

Offline CegulsNest

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • Webmaster
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2015, 04:58:49 am »
You were right about setting the threshold to 1.  It's slicker than greased boogers now.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2015, 08:28:06 am »
Can new 'support' type question please have their own (single subject, with a descriptive title) new topics, so they can be marked as solved when a solution is found .. this will make it much easier for future searchers to find a working solution.

Thanks in advance :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline CegulsNest

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • Webmaster
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2015, 03:18:04 pm »
Sorry...my fault.  Sometimes I get bumping my gums and get off track.