Author Topic: My opinion on why some still use XP  (Read 6712 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: My opinion on why some still use XP
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2015, 02:59:07 am »
Being a Brit I have no idea who Best Buy are, but it sounds like a generic superstore in the K-Mart fashion ? .. over here we have a computer superstore PCWorld (not the magazine), and their employees know sod all about computers either ::)

In fact it's now a national nerd sport to go in and see how much you can confuse them and send them running for their supervisor with daft requests like "do you have a VGA to FPU conversion kit" .. or "have you got a 7 gigapixel DDR9 SODUMB for a laptop" :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 03:34:32 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 03:30:09 am »
Yeah, we've Media Markt and you can do the same in there.  A couple of months ago I asked if they had a, "Raspberry Pi".  I thought the bloke was going to have a meltdown >:D!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 03:35:38 am »
Did he send you next door to the supermarket ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2015, 03:48:50 am »
I think he wanted to.  He definitely had that, "does not compute" glazed look, when I explained to him what it was  :D.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2015, 04:02:06 am »
I love teasing that look from computer sales people :)

The world has gone nuts, when the sales people can't answer fairly simple questions about what they're selling, or try selling you a laptop with quotes like "and over here we have a blue one that must be on sale or something because it appears to be a bit larger than the red one but it's cheaper"  ::)
(red 15.6" Intel core i5 Vs blue 17" AMD E450)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:14:18 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2015, 04:14:15 am »
Asking them what is the difference between a Core i3, i5 and i7 processor always produces some amusing answers too  :P.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2015, 04:16:45 am »
Hell Andy, I'm not even sure Intel can answer that one .. even they seem confused by that  :o
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:20:01 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2015, 04:21:53 am »
I guess it's one of those great unsolved mysteries  :D.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2015, 04:29:29 am »
I think it originally stood for

is 3 times as expensive as a core2duo (but not necessarily any faster)
is 5 times as expensive as a core2duo
is 7 times as expensive as a core2duo

But nowadays it doesn't seem to mean much at all .. we have i3's that are faster/more expensive than some i5's and i7's with less cores/slower than/cheaper than some i5's  :-\

[EDIT]

I now think it's decided by a corporate rock/paper/scissors or the marketing team with "eenie meenie miney moe, in which product line will you go" :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:48:36 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2015, 05:21:07 am »
Being a Brit I have no idea who Best Buy are, but it sounds like a generic superstore in the K-Mart fashion ? .. over here we have a computer superstore PCWorld (not the magazine), and their employees know sod all about computers either ::)

In fact it's now a national nerd sport to go in and see how much you can confuse them and send them running for their supervisor with daft requests like "do you have a VGA to FPU conversion kit" .. or "have you got a 7 gigapixel DDR9 SODUMB for a laptop" :)
Best Buy, have you seen the series Chuck? It was on a while back.

Yesterday a customer asked me for a cable to connect their tablet to their printer. Someone at a cell phone shop sent them to me ;)

It is sad how many people just have no clue as to how things work. Then they keep trying to talk over me while I am explaining to them.
Peppermint user since Fire / Ice

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2015, 12:21:24 pm »

Best buy is an electronics retail store it sells computers, phones, tablets, laptops, parts, and overall most electronics.
The staff off course are far from experts in the products. So probably the same situation you have over in the UK.
ive been seeing still alot of companies using windows XP still its quite scary people are not getting the fact that its NOT SAFE
AND UNSUPPORTED! i mean if something happens their companies funds could be stolen, the identities etc if they are too afraid of linux
fine, but at least upgrade to windows 7 to be safe. (i say 7 because 8 is the worst operating system ever made).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:23:18 pm by iamesperambient »
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2015, 12:28:42 pm »
[I was going to reply to a previous topic but it was over 120 days old so I started this new topic instead - I'm new here and I'm reading a lot of old topics - catching up with all you Pepperminters!]]

Why do many individuals and small businesses continue to use Windows XP?

I'll start with a quote from Captain Ramius from one of my favorite movies 'The Hunt for Red October' - "We each have our reasons".

So, I can only speak for myself and my own family's business. But I sense from my conversations with other similarly sized business in similar circumstances that some of the decisions we make are based on the same general undertanding of how things work.

One thing I have noticed is that many individuals and small business do not understand computers and software. If it were up to many from my generation we would all still be using paper and pen, filing cabinets, and good-old postal mail. In fact, our own small business still continues to use paper invoices and paper records for every transaction. Computer records are generated from this paper trail and is always behind the "real" documents - on PAPER! Workers from the generation just behind me would be agast at how little of our business is recorded with computer data and how little information is readily available with a simple on-line search. A "search" in our system takes hours and days, not milliseconds.

So, again, the question - why do some poeple still use XP? It's because they do not know what you know. They do not understand. It has always worked for them and it is what "the computer guy" set up for them 15 or 20 years ago.

The software they paid thousands of dollars to some local consultant to set up is "running fine". "I don't care about cute little pictures - I just need to read the data on my screen. My last program ran fine in DOS but the consultant said we had to upgrade to Windows if we wanted any more help. So, we updated to Windows XP and it cost us thousands of dollars. But I don't see any difference from the DOS program. Looks the same to me. Oh, and can you hand me that stack of invoices over there. I need to update my briefcase."

I have spent countless hours trying to convince our family to upgrade our computer systems and install modern point-of-sale software and inventory management software. The feedback I get is 'it is too much money to spend and we don't really need it. We don't understand those systems, they are too complicated and we are comfortable with how we do it now.'

At the same time I have taken it upon myself to swap out and upgrade several workstations over the years and stay up-to-date with virus and malware protection while we continue to hold on to our old ways and VERY SLOWLY get used to new features that are added to help improve productivity. It has taken years but we now use a calendar that is in the "cloud" instead of on the counter on a clip board. We now also have some "smart phones" that allow communication between our store staff and our road crew without having to use land-line phones and pagers. Some of our senior staff now know how to "e-mail" or "text" a message to an outside sales rep or technician. Some of our senior staff have no clue and ask one of the younger kids to communicate a message.

Ask our owner's about the risks of XP and they will say "we would rather not use the computer anyway. We were forced into computers and paid thousands of dollars to so-called conultants and now we are being asked to do it all over again? What did we pay that guy for?"

My immagination leads me to think that a lot of these XP machines are being used by companies or organizations who are staffed by people who do not understand why what they paid thousands of dollars for 20 years ago is no longer any good. It's not selfish - it's ignorance. And finances. The generation who paid computer consultants to set up windows systems for them did not budget to replace these systems 15 or 20 years later. It was not in the budget. And now it's a financial burden.

Many small business people active today still do not know what Windows is and what makes it different from DOS, or MAC, or Linux. They bought a "computer system" from a "consultant" and it cost a LOT of money. They will be damned if they are going to spend a lot more money to replace a system that still works! "Those damn computer people are just trying to sell me on upgrades and scare me by saying I'll get a virus." "I can't afford a new computer system - I'm sticking with what I have - it works!"

The perspective of a computer techie or developer is completely different from that of a small business owner who has been fighting to stay in business for twenty to fourty years and grew up in a world where technology is "new" to them. To that business owner XP was an upgrade and a window to a whole new paradigm. They never understood it and fail to understand why the "new" stuff is any better.

That's my take. It's somewhat cynical I know. And I am not personally a cynic. But I can pretty much guarantee that what I have experienced in my own family business is being repeated millions of times over all around the world.

Sean

honestly i feel a lot of busines owners should learn linux and take a course (at least for small businesses)
and set up their own network and run on linux than for free than can do it all themselves with out paying anyone
and than never worrying about any risks of safety. I know people are busy or simply think its 'confusing' but it can improve
things an safe money it the long run. I think its a positive thing to push linux to small business owners and get them to open
their eyes to the freedom of open source.

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2015, 12:53:09 pm »
A getting started with Linux for Small Businesses sounds like a great idea.

Maybe if enough people wanted to, we could give it a section in the Tutorials? Start thinking so long as to what ground we would need to cover. Or maybe we could link to relevant tutorials?

As a matter of interest, does anyone know a Point of Sale system that would run on Linux? I think this would be vital to a small business.
Peppermint user since Fire / Ice

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2015, 02:52:17 pm »
A getting started with Linux for Small Businesses sounds like a great idea.

Maybe if enough people wanted to, we could give it a section in the Tutorials? Start thinking so long as to what ground we would need to cover. Or maybe we could link to relevant tutorials?

As a matter of interest, does anyone know a Point of Sale system that would run on Linux? I think this would be vital to a small business.

I think making the tutorial and pushing the idea anyway is a good idea you never know
there may be business as we speak interested in the idea but not any info from a simple
distro to guide them. I think all businesses should look into linux and drop PC and their outdated
unsupported os.