Author Topic: My opinion on why some still use XP  (Read 6736 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: My opinion on why some still use XP
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 06:46:10 am »
Yeah, in Dutch it's pepermunt pronounced like paper/munt.  The diminutive sounds nice though, Het Pepermuntje  :D.  Seriously, 10i is absolutely correct.  The after sale support for Windows machines is a huge revenue earner.  This is another example of the Linux Desktop being a victim of its reliability.  If a vendor sells someone a Linux machine, he's probably not going to see that person again for 10 years.  The same sale, only Windows based is going to generate by default a much greater long term return.  The same can be said for Macs too.  Maybe even more for them.  Mac is not supported for as long a period as their Windows based counterparts.  Also with the new Macs, their operational life is effectively no greater than the point that the battery dies.   >:(

This is probably the greatest reason that the existing Linux machines such as System 76 are so expensive - it boils down to turnover.  It's a vicious circle for them.  They can't be sold at a price the average "Joe" can afford because it would put them out of business.  So the average "Joe" will invariable go and buy an, "affordable" Windows machine instead.  Windows' failure with reliability is for MS, its greatest success story.  The expensive, short lived hardware in conjunction with the anally retentive OS that Mac uses, is their greatest success story.  As long as the majority of computer users remain "sheeple" baaaaa, that are easily persuaded that everything is fine and dandy - nothing is going to change.  That's my two cent's worth  ;)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 09:51:59 am »
Hello AndyInMokum,

I'm sure that both you and 10i are correct.  I just hated having to buy two Windows 7 computers in order to put Peppermint and Ubuntu onto them.  But, what does Microsoft care?  I'm feeding the beast as they laugh all the way to the bank while I break our warranties in the process.  And, when I've been in a couple of jams, I needed to re-install Windows just to be able to install Linux again.  I hate having to do that.  I don't want to have to have a Windows recovery drive.  >:(

Still, my wife and I are lucky.  Both Peppermint, and any flavor of Ubuntu, work like champs on our computers.  We lucked out this time around, but some computers play better with Linux than others.  I couldn't get any Wi-Fi using Linux when I bought a small Dell laptop earlier this winter.  Fortunately I was able to return the computer, and in better condition than when I had bought it, I might add.  ::)

It is always a pig in a poke when you buy a Windows laptop in order to install Linux.  I would be nice if one could just buy some reasonably priced hardware on which to run Linux, or any OS of one's choosing, but that day is certainly not here yet.  :(

perknh
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 11:19:33 am »
Heck, you have a good name -- imagine the 10i,

I am not sure what it sounds like in Dutch, but 10i sounds like Tienie (my nickname in real life, in Afrikaans). Off course it makes no sense in English.

I hate how complicated it has become to dual boot since uefi. Manufacturers are making it more difficult not to run Windows. My new laptop has a sticker on it saying some features may not work without Windows.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 11:25:53 am by 10i »
Peppermint user since Fire / Ice

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 12:33:14 pm »
Heck, you have a good name -- imagine the 10i,

I am not sure what it sounds like in Dutch, but 10i sounds like Tienie (my nickname in real life, in Afrikaans). Off course it makes no sense in English.

I hate how complicated it has become to dual boot since uefi. Manufacturers are making it more difficult not to run Windows. My new laptop has a sticker on it saying some features may not work without Windows.

It looks like a good name for a Linux computer!  :)

I hate how complicated it has become to dual boot since uefi. -- 10i

I bet.  :(

I saw that thread you had started, but since I squeaked by purchasing a Windows 7 computer before Window 8 computers had taken over the market, I wasn't able to offer any assistance.  But I did have a conversation with PCNetSpec before I purchased my computer.  He thought I'd probably be safer going with Windows 7 than Windows 8 at the time -- because of that questionable UEFI feature. 

Since then I haven't heard much good about it.  I've heard UEFI described as a solution in search of a problem.  Now, I guess UEFI is the problem itself.

It's clear to me that users of Linux need hardware compatible for Linux.
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 01:17:22 am »
It is always a pig in a poke when you buy a Windows laptop in order to install Linux.  I would be nice if one could just buy some reasonably priced hardware on which to run Linux, or any OS of one's choosing, but that day is certainly not here yet.  :(

perknh
Hi perknh,

Several months ago I picked up an Acer Extensa 2510-35PJ - 15,6" Notebook with Core I3 1,8 GHz Intel CPU, 500 GB HDD, 4 GB RAM, etc. for 350 Euros (probably about $ 375 in the US of A). The "catch" (actually not a "catch" but a "deal") was that it came without M$ Windows!! In its place there was the totally ridiculous and useless Linpus oder whatever it was called.

I immediately reformatted the HDD and installed Peppermint 5 and Arch-Linux on my new partitions and now have a great "little" notebook. Couldn't be happier  8)

It took me a while to find this model but, as I recall, it is also available with even more power and more expensive hardware if you wish.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 01:25:23 am »
Hi Slim.Fatz, where did you manage to find that?  I'm asking just in case it's available my side of the border  ;).

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 04:46:59 am »
Hi AndyInMokum,

I found it here: http://www.net-factory.de   ;)

This is very near where I live and I used the local tram system to get there and pick it up.

Good luck if you are searching for one of these machines. As I recall, I first found such a notebook somewhere in the Amazon offerings.

Regards,

-- Slim

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 04:54:22 am »
Thanks for the info  ;).

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 06:06:26 am »
Several months ago I picked up an Acer Extensa 2510-35PJ - 15,6" Notebook with Core I3 1,8 GHz Intel CPU, 500 GB HDD, 4 GB RAM, etc. for 350 Euros (probably about $ 375 in the US of A). The "catch" (actually not a "catch" but a "deal") was that it came without M$ Windows!! In its place there was the totally ridiculous and useless Linpus oder whatever it was called.

I immediately reformatted the HDD and installed Peppermint 5 and Arch-Linux on my new partitions and now have a great "little" notebook. Couldn't be happier  8)

It took me a while to find this model but, as I recall, it is also available with even more power and more expensive hardware if you wish.

That's great, Sim.Fatz!  I've never heard of, or seen such a thing, on this side of the big pond.  And thank you for the link you sent to AndyInMokum.  That laptop sounds like a winner to me.  ;)

And here's a little bit more about Windows XP by reading about Chrome browser in China. 

The article, entitled Internet Explorer’s demise is great news for Google’s Chrome browser in China is written by Adam Pasick, for Quartz.com. 

How often we forget about Windows XP in China!  :o

http://qz.com/364883/internet-explorers-demise-is-great-news-for-googles-chrome-browser-in-china/

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 07:48:40 am »
Hi AndyInMokum and perknh,

Sorry that the web site (net-factory.de) is in German (probably less of a problem for Andy :) ). But you can still probably find the info you need online using the model name:

Acer Extensa 2510-35PJ (NX.EEXEG.011)

Regards,

-- Slim
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 07:50:42 am by Slim.Fatz »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 08:17:44 am »
It's not really a problem for me.  It's understandable - just  :D.  Thanks again for the info  ;)!

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2015, 08:24:43 am »
Hi AndyInMokum and perknh,

Sorry that the web site (net-factory.de) is in German (probably less of a problem for Andy :) ). But you can still probably find the info you need online using the model name:

Acer Extensa 2510-35PJ (NX.EEXEG.011)

Thank you, Slim.Fatz!

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 09:40:25 am »
My pleasure, perknh and AndyInMokum.

BTW, where I live (all of 133 m above sea-level -- makes me dizzy just thinking about it) we look down on Andy and the other "low-landers"  :-X -- except when we want to learn how to improve ourselves as a society  --> then we look enviously up to you ...  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2015, 09:49:28 am »

BTW, where I live (all of 133 m above sea-level -- makes me dizzy just thinking about it) we look down on Andy and the other "low-landers"  :-X -- except when we want to learn how to improve ourselves as a society  --> then we look enviously up to you ...  ;)

You got that right!  ;)

Offline sanguinemoon

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 10:32:54 pm »

perknh
Hi perknh,

Regards,

-- Slim

Oh sure. There are guys near me that sell no-OS computers with decent specs for $299, an extra $29 for them to assemble it for you. I'm seriously considering getting one of them. Plus, their people probably know what they're talking about unlike the Bestbuy person that didn't even know what IDE was when I asked naively about an IDE to USB connector to hook a very old hard drive up so I could retrieve its files.