Choose style:

Author Topic: (SOLVED) Pmint 3, No wireless  (Read 4523 times)

bobww99

(SOLVED) Pmint 3, No wireless
« on: April 14, 2014, 12:15:15 am »
I have installed Pmint 3  with dual boot windows xp pro on a IBM Think Pad T23 mod 2647-2tu.
I am connected thru the internet from a wired Lan connection.
I have a Linksys wireless-g 2.4 GHZ, 802.11g Notebook Adapter, Mode WPC 54G Ver. 3. (Card which inserts thru slot)
When I remove the  wired connection, and place the Linksys card (above) into the computer, The Pmint 3 freezes up. Meaning that the USB mouse (and if I disconnect it and try to use the pointer from the computer pad device) is non functional. Nothing is functioning. Unmount the card (everything works fine at this point), plug in the USB and hookup the wired connection, everything back to normal. Need some help if anyone is interested?
Thank You,
Bob

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------FYI
Went back in to xp /Device Mgr/Network Adapters/ and viewed list. I understand that windows and Linux are two different OS's, so I can provide addition information if requested,but I do not know if it would help? Please ignore if not needed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 02:21:04 pm by bobww99 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Pmint 3, No wireless
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 07:27:42 am »
Doesn't the T23 have wireless built in ?

Without connecting your USB wireless, post the output from:
Code: [Select]
sudo lshw -C network
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

bobww99

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 12:28:49 pm »
Answer to first question:
From e-how:Read more: http://www.ehow.com/about_5124933_builtin-wireless-lan-card.html#ixzz2ysMeSnyY
"Many "smart devices" and computers are equipped with a built-in wireless LAN card that allows these devices to connect to wireless Ethernet networks. The device, while specifically allowing for the wireless network connection of devices into wireless access points and ad hoc networks, is made in many sizes and form factors, all of which can be considered as built-in wireless LAN cards. The most common appliance to contain such a device and call it by this name is a laptop computer.
Many laptop computers utilize a mini-PCI interface for the connection of the wireless LAN card into the laptop. Other options are PCMCIA and USB, but these interfaces are not the type that built-in wireless LAN cards use. Some systems have the wireless card circuitry built into the motherboard, but the modular design of mini-PCI is favored."
From above, I have a PCMCIA wireless LAN card along (info from windows xp info) with an Intel Pro/100 VE Network controller chip set(?) listed in Device mgr,Net Work Adapters.

Second answer:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sudo lshw -C network
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bob@bob-laptop ~ $ sudo lshw -C network
[sudo] password for bob:
  *-network               
       description: Ethernet interface
       product: 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 8
       bus info: pci@0000:02:08.0
       logical name: eth0
       version: 41
       serial: 00:d0:59:b7:16:7c
       size: 100Mbit/s
       capacity: 100Mbit/s
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e100 driverversion=3.5.24-k2-NAPI duplex=full firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.75 latency=66 link=yes maxlatency=56 mingnt=8 multicast=yes port=MII speed=100Mbit/s
       resources: irq:11 memory:c0200000-c0200fff ioport:6400(size=64)

Thank You,
Bob

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 04:47:56 pm »
OK with the PC connected through the ethernet cable, run these commands in sequence:
sudo apt-get update
then
sudo apt-get upgrade
then
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
then
sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
Now REBOOT.

Now what happens if you plug in the wireless adapter ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

bobww99

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 11:54:18 am »
I think my linksys is seen. On the menu grey tool bar I ran my mouse over the network connection without clicking and i get a black box that says: No network connection. When I click the menu bar network connection symbol, I see my at&t DS:L network name with connectivity strength bars and a symbol overlaid with a padlock tagged to the highest strength bar. ( suspect this is not relevant, but in More connections ,I see among other listings a strength bar with no padlock entitled: kd_linksts-guest.)
Getting back to my Network Name listed with a padlock, I tried several times to enter info/pwd etc. with results ending with re entering the know correct password and being told its not valid?
One other clue:, from menu,Network - Preferences - Network connections- I see Wired connection 1, Last used 1 hour ago (was not hook up one hour ago). When I go to Wireless - nothing listed.
I have been using search  to solve this problem and have not found any similar instances at least for the exact problem I am having.
At this point, the T23 is at the same condition (after shut off over night) when I ran the last requested scripts PCNetSpec required. I have not tried to enter any information from menu bar or Menu- Network Connections. I believe, entering any GUI info .may change proper future GUI input with out shutdown and reopening.
I would appreciate any feed back.
TU
Bob

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 12:21:20 pm »
Hi Bill

Getting back to my Network Name listed with a padlock, I tried several times to enter info/pwd etc. with results ending with re entering the know correct password and being told its not valid?

If it's saying your password is not valid then you're entering the wrong password, when connecting to your network you will be asked for 2 passwords one after the other the first is your login password (the password you log into the computer with), the second is your network password (Authentication key) which you will normally find on a label on the router.

you will know when it's asking for the network password (Authentication key) because below the box where you enter the password you will see a checkbox labeled "Show Password" if you tick that box it will allow you to see what you type to make sure you have the spelling correct

Good luck

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 12:42:29 pm »
Be aware .. after the OP replies to this topic, I'm going to move it to the

Support > Networking

board where it belongs .. I'll PM a link to the OP too.

"General Discussion" is not a support forum.

As emegra says .. when you click your network in the list you'll be prompted for 2 passwords .. the first one wants you to authenticate with your Peppermint password, the second will want your Wi-Fi password/key.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:48:55 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

bobww99

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 02:20:14 pm »
emegra--Excellent reply 5 stars *****Replying through a T23 with wireless running perfectly.
Thanks to PCNetSpec and emegra.
Problem (SOLVED)
Bob

PS PCNetSpec please move inquiry to Support>Networking. Will use in future posts to land in correct help section.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: (SOLVED) Pmint 3, No wireless
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 04:26:48 pm »
[TOPIC MOVED]

Thanks for marking the topic solved :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec