Choose style:

Author Topic: Need help setting up partitions - Windows 8.1 dual boot - Shelved  (Read 4769 times)

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 - 64 bit
Re: Need help setting up partitions - Windows 8.1 dual boot
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 09:25:07 am »
Buying a 32 GB cruzer extreme USB 3 drive later today and hope to test tonight :)

That's great!  I've never even seen a USB 3 flash drive back here in Cow Hampshire, USA.  I know USB 3s run 10 times faster than USB 2s.  So with speedy Peppermint on it, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up be faster than Windows 8.1 itself.  And 32 bits?  That's a USB flash drive made for champs!  :)

Report back, please.  Got to hear how this goes for you.   ;)
I am installing 64 bit as I have 6 GB of RAM.

I will definitely post an update :)
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 10:11:10 am »
Hark at you showing off with 6GB of RAM  :P!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 10:16:44 am »
There are 2 caveats here...

USB 3 sticks will only give USB 3 speeds when plugged into a USB 3 port
and
Any flash drive will have a limited write cycle, so don't expect it to last anywhere near as long as an HDD or even SSD (yes an SSD is flash memory but the onboard firmware usually has wear levelling built in where a USB stick does not).
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 11:47:39 am »
Hi, I do have a USB 3 port at least. If it can last a year or so I will be happy too

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 02:37:00 pm »
Hark at you showing off with 6GB of RAM  :P!!

It only cost R400 ($32) more to get 6 GB of RAM and 1 TB HDD instead of the 4 GB RAM and 500 GB model. And guess what? I still got Superfish! (sorry, just got to make fun of them while everyone still remembers what it is).

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 03:02:31 pm »

OK, so I got the Universal USB installer and installed the Peppermint 5 64 bit ISO with a 4 GB persistence (the largest it would let me set it).
The image works, as I have it on another flash drive where it is able to boot.

Reboot and I get the menu where I can Try Peppermint or Install Peppermint. I chose Try and then got this error screen.

@perknh: After creating the persistent USB, how do I install Pappermint onto the USB drive? I have not done this before although I Googled to try and find a guide. I am now creating a Persistent USB with UnetBootin and hoping it will work better.

EDIT:

Getting the same error when using UnetBootin. I am beginning to think this will be an all or nothing setup here.

EDIT 2:

Oddly enough, I do not have this problem when booting from a normal Live USB flash drive. So weird.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 03:29:26 pm by 10i »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 03:49:35 pm »
Hello 10i,

First, I have to admit I never used more than an 8 GB flash drive for my Peppermint installations.  I don't know how much persistence you can add.  I've never owned such a large flash drive.

This is what I did with my 8 GB USB 2 flash drive:

From within Windows I downloaded the Peppermint iso file I wanted.  Then I checked the MD5 sum to make sure the Peppermint iso file I downloaded was sound.  Then I used UUI, or  Unetbootin, to install Peppermint to my flash drive -- sliding the persistence bar, or increasing the number scale, as far as it would go.  Then I just waited, maybe twenty minutes, for Peppermint with persistence to install onto the flash drive.  That's all I did -- easy peasy nice and easy.

If you're unable to have enough persistence for your needs, then you'll want do a full install to that flash drive just like a regular external hard drive installation.  Just remember to set up grub onto the flash drive -- usually it will be dev/sdb1 -- NOT sda. But before you do any of this, make sure create a recovery flash drive or disk for your Windows 8.1 installation.  Usually you can do this with a cheaper USB flash drive of 16 GBs or more.  (I use 16 GBs for my Windows 7 recovery drives.)

Just remember, do not put grub on your internal hard drive which holds Windows 8.1 or you'll discover you've installed Peppermint 5 to your internal hard drive -- and you will have wiped out Windows 8.1.  (Even though I'll have a beer for you if you do so!  That was the mistake I made that eventually made me into a full-time Linux user!!  :) But, that was a rough night for me because I didn't know what I was doing.  In fact, that one mistake made it an all nighter for me. 

Tired as I was, I also felt like singing "If I Had a Hammer", but then I didn't want to wake up my wife.  No, that was a bad night for me. ;D

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 04:01:03 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 05:03:47 pm »
Can you explain "Edit 2"

Are you saying you can create a Live USB on a USB 2 stick but not on the USB 3 stick ?

Will the USB 3 stick boot if plugged into a different USB port ?

If you boot to the USB 2 stick, then plug in the USB 3 stick (in the USB 3 port) then run:
Code: [Select]
sudo fdisk -l
what is the output ?

Also post the output from:
sudo blkid
and
parted -l

[EDIT]

And what is the intention here ? .. to create a LiveUSB on the USB 3 stick, or to do a "proper" installation to the USB 3 stick ?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 05:10:45 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2015, 03:08:47 am »
Hi guys,

1. I can boot from the live USB I made, boots right to the desktop without problems. This was done on a 8 GB flash drive, without a persistence.

2. I tried a live install with persistence on the 32 GB flash drive. I didn't try a normal live install on it yet.

3. I did not try to plug it into a different USB port, didn't think to try it.

4. I Will try to run the code you asked for when I am home again tonight if I have time. (I get home around 8 pm tonight)

5. I want to run Peppermint from the flash drive, instead of from the HDD (my thinking is to leave hdd partitions as they are for now).

I thought doing a live USB with persistence was the best option, but I can probably install Peppermint to the flash drive also.

Maybe I should try booting from the persistent live USB on my Lenovo netbook, just to check that it is working properly.

I just don't have a lot of time at the moment.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 07:34:54 pm »
1. I can boot from the live USB I made, boots right to the desktop without problems. This was done on a 8 GB flash drive, without a persistence.

Great not a BIOS problem then

2. I tried a live install with persistence on the 32 GB flash drive. I didn't try a normal live install on it yet.

Not what I meant by "proper" installation .. I meant are you wanting a proper "non Live" session on a linux file system as opposed to a "LiveUSB" that has limitations such as a 4GB maximum persistence file size (a limit of the FAT32 file system)

3. I did not try to plug it into a different USB port, didn't think to try it.

Would probably be a good idea, a USB 3 port may require drivers to be loaded so not be bootable in the same way some SD card slots are non bootable (I'm not sure about this so just thought it'd be a good idea to test)

4. I Will try to run the code you asked for when I am home again tonight if I have time. (I get home around 8 pm tonight)

cool :)

5. I want to run Peppermint from the flash drive, instead of from the HDD (my thinking is to leave hdd partitions as they are for now).

I thought doing a live USB with persistence was the best option, but I can probably install Peppermint to the flash drive also.

Maybe I should try booting from the persistent live USB on my Lenovo netbook, just to check that it is working properly.

It's unlikely that "persistence" is the problem here

I think a "proper" (not "Live") installation would be the best way to go .. a "Live" installation will only give you a maximum 4GB persistence file (a limitation of the FAT32 file system used on a LiveUSB .. FAT32 has a maximum file size of 4GB)

A proper installation will entail booting from your Working LiveUSB .. clicking the "Install Peppermint" desktop icon .. then when you get to the "where to install Peppermint" part of the installation selecting "Something Else" then manually wiping all current parttions on the stick and creating a swap partition and a / partition .. installing to the / partition and being SURE to put the bootloader on the MBR of the USB stick.

I'll be able to advise more once I have the output I requested.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2015, 12:48:16 pm »
Hi everyone, for now I have decided to put this project on hold.

I booted up using the Live USB, and started the installation. Everything went well until 3/4 way through when the installer said it could not write GRUB and that the installation has failed  :'(.

Thanks everyone for your efforts, I really appreciate it.