Choose style:

Author Topic: Downloading Software Online In Linux (SOLVED)  (Read 3590 times)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Downloading Software Online In Linux (SOLVED)
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 03:01:23 pm »
A little OT, but I just posted this on LinkedIn -- thought you might find it interesting/informative...  :D

Lawyer who clicked on attachment loses $289K in hacker scam

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 03:27:25 pm »
and this guy's a lawyer .. no wonder he doesn't want to be named  ::)

If there's anyone that should know there are criminals out there......
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 04:05:15 pm »
Image files such as png/jpg/bmp/etc. cannot contain viruses .. only executables (and in windows some macros that may get executed by say Microsoft Office).

This information surprised me.  I thought downloading any file from an outside source was risky business.  But, I've noticed the Peppermint and Ubuntu always warm me about some files -- say when I download Google Chrome, or Maxthon, from Google's or Maxthon's web sites.  With these files I get a message that says something like, "Only install this file if you trust the origin."  And, I do NOT get that message when I download a wallpaper from wallpaperswide.com.  So, I believe, Linux is trying to protect me -- protect me from myself, as 10i has said!  ;)

But what 10i has reported leads me to another question:  If Mac OS and Linux have common Unix roots, and if Mac computers today are encountering more and more malware, does this mean that malware designed for Apple computers might cause damage to computers running Linux as well?  I would think it might. 

And now, one final question in reference to VinDSL's recent post on LInkedIn:

What do you have when you have a dozen lawyers up to their necks in cement?

Answer:
Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
You have not enough cement.*

*This concept can apply to politicians as well.
[close]

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;). -- AndyInMokum

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 04:46:50 pm »
And now, one final question in reference to VinDSL's recent post on LInkedIn...

OMG!  You don't know the half of it  ;D

I deal with attorneys all the time.  PCNetSpec can vouch for this... he can see the addys when I'm posting from court buildings.

I can't really talk about it, other than to say, it's an 'Alice in Wonderland' experience.  LeL

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 05:31:04 pm »
If Mac OS and Linux have common Unix roots, and if Mac computers today are encountering more and more malware, does this mean that malware designed for Apple computers might cause damage to computers running Linux as well?

The answer to that is a resounding YES and NO :)

Some of the underlying code might be executable on both OS's, but the attack vector would most often need to be different, and the interplay between the malware and OS subsystems may need to vary.

OS X malware is likely to come attached to OS X software as a dmg installer .. dmg's won't run on Linux

Sure it *would* be possible to craft some code that would run on both OS's .. the problem would lie in getting it onto a Linux PC in the first place. The installer would need to be a binary executable downloaded say from the web that would need to be manually flagged as executable (or unpacked from an archive) then run by the user, this is NOT a common method for software installation in Linux, and one that is frowned upon (hence this topic).

OS X is pretty much as secure as Linux except fopr one MAJOR flaw .. in OS X you still download software from all over the internet.
In Linux you generally get it from a secure central repository .. and everyone gets it from the same place, so on the off chance any malicious code ever makes it into the repos, it's quickly spotted and dealt with in one place once and for good
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 05:32:50 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec