Choose style:

Author Topic: MY OPINION ABOUT THIS PEPPERMINT5 OS . IT IS HORRIBLE AND LACKS ESSENTIAL THINGS  (Read 11671 times)

Offline veggie

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
SERIOUSLY... INSTEAD OF ANSWERING TO ME THAT THOSE THINGS I MENTIONED HAD TO BE ADRESSED TO .. YOU PEOPLE COME UP INSULTING, PUTTING THINGS LIKE YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD, AND PUT THIS CODE AND THAT ... PEOPLE WANT THINGS TO BE THERE BY DEFAULT ,,,, NOT HAVING TO SPEND PRECIOUS TIME SETTING UP ...

ALL THOSE BLA BLA BLA ANSWERS .. GET A LIFE PEOPLE ... PEPpERMINT OS WAS GREAT  WHEN IT HAD SCROT CAUSE SCROT FREAKING WORKS OUT OF THE FREAKING BOX... THATS WHY I LOVE LUBUNTU! AND THE WALLPAPER... SERIOUSLY I GET THE LIVE SESSION AND THAT THING COMES UP? THAT FREAKING UGLY SMOKE?? GET A LIFEEEEEEEE!!!! THE BLACK THEME SHOULD BE THERE CAUSE THERE ARE THOSE WHO DONT LIKE BRIGHT COLORS .... I AM NOT A NEWBIE BUT I AM SEEING PEPPERMINT AS A NEWBIE WOULD.
IF IM HERE SAYING THIS IS CAUSE I LIKED PEPPERMINT BUT YOU RUINED IT.

NOW FIX WHAT I MENTIONED  AND PUT IT WORKING BY FREAKING DEFAULT!!!! AND  ITS NOT A QUESTION OF   """" YOU CAN CJHANGE THIS AND THAT , YOU CAN PUT CODE THIS AND THAT """... ITS A QUESTION OF HAVING IT ALL ALREADYYYYY BY FREAKING DEFAULT! ....

AND I DONT LIKE INSULTS SO TO THOSE WHO INSULT ME... GO SPEND TIME ELSEWHERE CAUSE YOU FAIL!

THIS IS MY OPINION!

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
This topic will be locked at the next sign of abuse .. please act respectfully

@veggie

You seem surprised that coming on the Peppermint forum SHOUTING that your choices for defaults are somehow more enlightened than anyone else's got you a negative response .. I assure you if Peppermint used your (or anyone else's) choice of defaults there'd be someone who says "they're horrible, I'm leaving".

The Peppermint team choose what are considered good fits for the Peppermint 'ethos' then in recognition that they'll not suit everyone give you the tools to change them as easily as possible (such as right click any image and there's a "Set as Wallpaper" option, or our adding the compositor so you can use docks with transparency, the Peppermint Control Center, etc.)

That said, if you'd come on introduced yourself then politely made a case for your suggested changes explaining why you thought they were necessary (or a good idea), I can assure you your suggestions would most definitely have been given consideration in the development meetings.
In fact "please include a dark theme, even if not the default" has come up before, and is definitely being considered for the next release.

Team Peppermint are always open to polite suggestions for improvement, but are not open for abuse.

Quote from: veggie
I DONT LIKE INSULTS SO TO THOSE WHO INSULT ME... GO SPEND TIME ELSEWHERE CAUSE YOU FAIL!

Is probably a very good mantra ......
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 05:45:52 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
SERIOUSLY... INSTEAD OF ANSWERING TO ME THAT THOSE THINGS I MENTIONED HAD TO BE ADRESSED TO .. YOU PEOPLE COME UP INSULTING, PUTTING THINGS LIKE YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD, AND PUT THIS CODE AND THAT ... PEOPLE WANT THINGS TO BE THERE BY DEFAULT ,,,, NOT HAVING TO SPEND PRECIOUS TIME SETTING UP ...

ALL THOSE BLA BLA BLA ANSWERS .. GET A LIFE PEOPLE ... PEPpERMINT OS WAS GREAT  WHEN IT HAD SCROT CAUSE SCROT FREAKING WORKS OUT OF THE FREAKING BOX... THATS WHY I LOVE LUBUNTU! AND THE WALLPAPER... SERIOUSLY I GET THE LIVE SESSION AND THAT THING COMES UP? THAT FREAKING UGLY SMOKE?? GET A LIFEEEEEEEE!!!! THE BLACK THEME SHOULD BE THERE CAUSE THERE ARE THOSE WHO DONT LIKE BRIGHT COLORS .... I AM NOT A NEWBIE BUT I AM SEEING PEPPERMINT AS A NEWBIE WOULD.
IF IM HERE SAYING THIS IS CAUSE I LIKED PEPPERMINT BUT YOU RUINED IT.

NOW FIX WHAT I MENTIONED  AND PUT IT WORKING BY FREAKING DEFAULT!!!! AND  ITS NOT A QUESTION OF   """" YOU CAN CJHANGE THIS AND THAT , YOU CAN PUT CODE THIS AND THAT """... ITS A QUESTION OF HAVING IT ALL ALREADYYYYY BY FREAKING DEFAULT! ....

AND I DONT LIKE INSULTS SO TO THOSE WHO INSULT ME... GO SPEND TIME ELSEWHERE CAUSE YOU FAIL!

THIS IS MY OPINION!

For one please stop 'shouting' wit the all caps it really is rude for everyone here.
No one is insulting you. In fact you came here and put a negative spin on our beloved
distro with all caps and shouting. Everyone here is all about helping others and making
things better for everyone. But you came here being negative/rude and with an overall
angry vibe which is off putting to many who are here just to help who honestly i find
are members of the most polite forum i have ever seen on the internet.

You need to take a step back and look at how your posting, address everyone with politeness/couth and respect
and maybe some of your questions/concerns/suggestions will be address right back to you in the same level
of politeness. But this all caps shouting thing will not get you very far. Who wants to help someone who is irate screaming
at them telling them they suck? no one.

also one simple suggestion
in /usr/share/peppermint/wallpapers there is more than one default wallpaper one being a black and blue and black and red wallpaper
neither are bright in your face colors. and again you can go to devientart.com or other websites and download 100000000's of wallpapers to choose
from move it to your peppermint/wallpaper folder or keep in somewhere else right click desktop prefs and insert it and wala you have a new wallpaper
i just don't see that as something worth complaining about the wallpaper set up works just the same as mac/windows and lets be honest most people
choose their own custom wallpaers i have never used a default wallpaper on any operating system be it mac/pc or linux i choose to customize to my liking
and if the default isn't to your liking its changed/fixed/customized in a matter of seconds.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:34:31 am by iamesperambient »
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Maybe you edited my first comment too soon Mark, I think he really needed to see what i said in that edited comment ...   LOL   :D 
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
"OW FIX WHAT I MENTIONED  AND PUT IT WORKING BY FREAKING DEFAULT!!!! AND  ITS NOT A QUESTION OF   """" YOU CAN CJHANGE THIS AND THAT , YOU CAN PUT CODE THIS AND THAT """... ITS A QUESTION OF HAVING IT ALL ALREADYYYYY BY FREAKING DEFAULT! ....

THIS IS MY OPINION!"

Linux is about customization. Peppermint is minimal by default so the user can set up the distro how they want it.
you needs may be different from mine and so forth the creators of peppermint know this and this is why its kept
the way it is. the world of linux is customization and if you can't get into setting up your OS and doing some themeing
and customizing and want it all out of the box without doing any work maybe linux is not for you and maybe you should
use mac and windows.

Second of all i will say it again you came here irate insulting our distro and being rude thats not the way to start off asking
for help.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Hello veggie,

I like the philosophy behind Bodhi Linux, however I soon discovered that my personality wasn't well suited for the type of desktop environment the Enlightenment DE offered.   No matter how much I liked the idea behind the Enlightenment desktop environment itself,  I discovered I was just a bad fit for the Enlightenment DE.  I suspect you're experiencing a similar feeling with Peppermint Linux OS due to your particular personality, wants, and needs.  Something brought you to us, but you soon discovered that Peppermint Linux OS was not really your cup of tea.  :(

Fortunately for all of us, with so many Linux and Unix-like distributions to choose from, there is no reason to feel unduly stressed out over any particular experience one has with any one particular Linux distribution.  By all means, veggie, try a different distribution, and find what works for you.  There's Linux, as well as several BSD-based distributions to choose from;  and most are very gentle on your pocketbook -- so, really, when you think about it, what do any of us have to complain about with so much diversity at such a low cost?!!!  :)

Although we're not asking you to do so, if you feel the need to move on from Peppermint, we really do wish you the best.  ;)

perknh

P.S.

Here's an excellent resource for finding the right distribution for just about anyone:

http://distrowatch.com/

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 01:54:50 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline sanguinemoon

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
I'm new here and literally just installed Peppermint, but thought this thread could use a little positive feedback. I'm already finding Peppermint fast and light (haven't seen a OS only need 175 megs ram in years!) I'm not fond of the default wallpaper myself, but even a brand new user from Windows can figure out how to change. People seem to think new users just now migrating from Windows are stupid, but they're not. Right-click on the desktop, the horror! I have some applications that I need to install, but I haven't seen a distro yet that I didn't. If I didn't have to do that, it would likely be a bloatastic monstrosity filled with hundreds of programs I don't need/want and who knows how many background daemons would running. I'm used to XFCE and KDE as my DE, so I'm sure there are a few things to learn about the UI, but big deal.

I'm a little confused about something, but it's a good thing. Versions of Ubuntu past 13.10 don't seem to like my graphics card (GeForce 6150SE) and won't even install from DVD. When a borked Ubuntu 14.10, I had to install 13.10, then 14.04 and finally 14.10 to reinstalled. No problems installing Peppermint :D

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Hi sanguinemoon, and welcome to the forum .. happy to hear you're enjoying Peppermint :)

AFAIK we don't change anything in the graphics stack from the defaults from Ubuntu, I can only assume that 14.04 would have worked for you but maybe they changed something in 14.04.1

Did you have problems with the original version of 14.04, or just recent versions ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline sanguinemoon

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
I had trouble installing every distro that came out after Ubuntu 13.10 (including OpenSuse, Debian, and Mint,  Ubuntu 14.04 & 14.10 installing from DVD as opposed to upgrading from a previous install) except this one. Mint's screen froze up with lines going across it when I tried to install that. Debian 7 installed but the interface was unusablely slow.  The Ubuntu 14.04 DVD that I used without success was Xubuntu, not Lubuntu. I'm not sure if that makes any difference or not, though.  I /think/ the version was 14.04, but I didn't consider before it maybe it was 14.04.1, sorry.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
No need to be sorry my friend, I was kinda clutching at straws really as it's the only explanation I can think of ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline seaken

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 3 and 5
This is my first post but I just had to echo what others have expressed. Peppermint is very professionally presented option for switching to Linux (coming from Windows XP here). I see lots of polite people and well thought out implementation of a minimal system from which to build. I say well done! veggie is off point here.

I'll have more to add in other threads but I just wanted to add to the obvious tilt toward reasonableness despite veggies rant.

Sean

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
This is my first post but I just had to echo what others have expressed. Peppermint is very professionally presented option for switching to Linux (coming from Windows XP here). I see lots of polite people and well thought out implementation of a minimal system from which to build. I say well done! veggie is off point here.

I'll have more to add in other threads but I just wanted to add to the obvious tilt toward reasonableness despite veggies rant.

Sean

agreed. And welcome to peppermint. Personally i have NEVER heard of someone complaining about a wallpaper its a real pointless thing to complain about.
A simple right click and you can change it. The internet is filled with various wallpapers to choose from. I don't know anyone who ever stuck with any default
wallpapers on any system.

Offline sanguinemoon

• New Forum User
    • View Profile

Sean

Welcome! I'm new here too. I think the LXDE desktop here is an easier switch for Windows users than some other Desktops, such as Unity and Gnome Shell. Other desktops such as Cinnamon and KDE 4 will remind users superficially of Windows 7, but those are relatively heavy. Yeah, Veggie's rant was pretty much pointless. He even blasted the use of the Chromium browser saying a Windows user won't know what that is, but I mentioned it to a friend at work and he knew what it was. In the menu it even says Chromium web browser :p

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile

Sean

Welcome! I'm new here too. I think the LXDE desktop here is an easier switch for Windows users than some other Desktops, such as Unity and Gnome Shell. Other desktops such as Cinnamon and KDE 4 will remind users superficially of Windows 7, but those are relatively heavy. Yeah, Veggie's rant was pretty much pointless. He even blasted the use of the Chromium browser saying a Windows user won't know what that is, but I mentioned it to a friend at work and he knew what it was. In the menu it even says Chromium web browser :p

a simple google search will explain its basically the open source version of chrome it even sounds like it :P
just a pointless rant to be rude there was nothing constructive in it what so ever. There is a difference between constructive
criticism and being rude.

Offline veggie

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
Well, I see the new version has the things set up much better now. The screenshot tool works although the directory where the screenshots are saved should be the pictures folder and not the desktop.Besides that I like the new background wallpaper and the all black  dark version “Peppermix-Dark”.