Choose style:

Author Topic: MY OPINION ABOUT THIS PEPPERMINT5 OS . IT IS HORRIBLE AND LACKS ESSENTIAL THINGS  (Read 11673 times)

Offline veggie

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
THIS IS WHAT I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS PEPPERMINT 0S 5

I IN THE PAST HAD PEPPERMINT OS ON MY COMPUTER. PEPPERMINT OS 2 AND 3

WHEN I WAS TRYING THE LIVE VERSION OF THIS 5 I WAS REALLY ANNOYED WITH THE LACK OF KEY SOFTWARE.

FIRST .. WHY DONT YOU HAVE A BLACK THEME BY DEFAULT?

SECOND .... THE FREAKING WALLPAPER THERE IS SIMPLY HORRIBLE....EVEN A SIMPLE FLOWER IS BETTER ... THAN THAT FREAKING SMOKE....

THIRD... A FEATURE THAT IS CRUCIAL TO ME IS THE SCREENSHOT TOOL
 THE SCREENSHOT TOOL THERE IS SO ANNOYINGGG. I TAKE A FREAKING SCREENSHOT AND 2 WINDOWS POP UP. ONE TO ASK ME IF I WANT TO SAVE THE SCREENSHOT AND THE SECOND TO GIVE IT A NAME AND TO CREAT A FOLDER FOR IT... ARE YOU NUTS??? I WANT TO HAVE A SCREENSHOT TOOL THAT TAKES THE SCREENSHOT IMMEDIATELY .. I PRESS THE PRINTSCREEN AND IT SAVES AUTOMATICALLY THE SCREENSHOT ... GET IT??????

WHAT THE HECK IS THOSE POP UP WINDOWS ?? FREAKING ANNOYING..

ANOTHER THING THAT REALLY ANNOYS ME IS THE WEB BROWSER-. WHAT THE HECK IS THAT THING CHROMIUM BROWSER??? PEOPLE WHO COME FROM WINDOWS WANT A THING THEY RECOGNIZE.. FIREFOX SHOULD BE THERE BY DEFAULT....

LAST BUT VERY IMPORTANT. THE CLOCK ON THE SIDE.... WE WANT A CLOCK THAT WE CAN SEE! A CLOCK THAT SAYS THE DATE , THE MONTH AND THE HOUR....

DONT COME WITH AN ANSWER LIKE ... "GO FETCH THE CODE AND PUT IT THERE. ... A PERSON A NEWBIE COMING FROM WINDOWS DOESNT KNOW HOW TO DO THOSE THINGSSS....

SO IF YOU WANT THIS PEPPERMINT TO BE ON THE TOP OF THE DISTROWATCH SITE ... YOU NEED TO PUT THESE ESSENTIAL THINGS THERE....

OF COURSE I DONT HAVE PEPPERMINT OS ... I HAVE LUBUNTU WHICH HAS THE SCREENSHOT TOOL LIKE I WANT. IT AUTOMATICALLY TAKES THE SCREENSHOT AND SAVES IT ON >>>> THE PICTURES FOLDER LIKE ITS SUPPOSE TO. NO FREAKING POP UP WINDOWS THANK GOD!!

THIS IS MY OPINION ..

SEE YOU

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Feel better now do you ;)

So the scope of your complaints are....

a) opinions about the appearance .. easily changed

b) an opinion on the choice of browser .. necessary for the ICE application . but easily changed

c) an opinion about the screenshot tool .. easily changed

d) an opinion about having the date displayed in the clock  by default .. again easily changed

considering non of your complaints are about bugs or breakages, I'd say we're doing pretty well ....

So thanks for the positive feedback, much appreciated :)

Opinions are just that, 'opinions' .. no matter what defaults we go with they'll not please everyone, all we can do is make the defaults easy to change and the UI highly configurable.

Seems a bit much to me to base a choice of OS on the wallpaper and screenshot tool, but each to their own and good luck with Lubuntu :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 10:17:57 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Oh My, well if you like Lubuntu my suggestion would be to use it then...  I Happen to love Linux mint Cinnamon myself but I don't go around bashing other distros just cause they don't have everything that comes with linux mint 17 by default in their installs... I think you are being kinda petty with bashing color themes and backgrounds, for they can be very easily changed to colors you want...
As far as the screenshot tool if you don't like it remove it and install the one from lubuntu...
Again you are the type of person who has no clue about linux, and if you did you would make the changes in the distro you installed to make it your own...
That is why peppermint exists with minimal programs installed, so people can download programs and make the distro work how they want it to work...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 10:03:29 am by PCNetSpec »
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
THIS IS WHAT I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS PEPPERMINT 0S 5

I IN THE PAST HAD PEPPERMINT OS ON MY COMPUTER. PEPPERMINT OS 2 AND 3

WHEN I WAS TRYING THE LIVE VERSION OF THIS 5 I WAS REALLY ANNOYED WITH THE LACK OF KEY SOFTWARE.

FIRST .. WHY DONT YOU HAVE A BLACK THEME BY DEFAULT?

SECOND .... THE FREAKING WALLPAPER THERE IS SIMPLY HORRIBLE....EVEN A SIMPLE FLOWER IS BETTER ... THAN THAT FREAKING SMOKE....

THIRD... A FEATURE THAT IS CRUCIAL TO ME IS THE SCREENSHOT TOOL
 THE SCREENSHOT TOOL THERE IS SO ANNOYINGGG. I TAKE A FREAKING SCREENSHOT AND 2 WINDOWS POP UP. ONE TO ASK ME IF I WANT TO SAVE THE SCREENSHOT AND THE SECOND TO GIVE IT A NAME AND TO CREAT A FOLDER FOR IT... ARE YOU NUTS??? I WANT TO HAVE A SCREENSHOT TOOL THAT TAKES THE SCREENSHOT IMMEDIATELY .. I PRESS THE PRINTSCREEN AND IT SAVES AUTOMATICALLY THE SCREENSHOT ... GET IT??????

WHAT THE HECK IS THOSE POP UP WINDOWS ?? FREAKING ANNOYING..

ANOTHER THING THAT REALLY ANNOYS ME IS THE WEB BROWSER-. WHAT THE HECK IS THAT THING CHROMIUM BROWSER??? PEOPLE WHO COME FROM WINDOWS WANT A THING THEY RECOGNIZE.. FIREFOX SHOULD BE THERE BY DEFAULT....

LAST BUT VERY IMPORTANT. THE CLOCK ON THE SIDE.... WE WANT A CLOCK THAT WE CAN SEE! A CLOCK THAT SAYS THE DATE , THE MONTH AND THE HOUR....

DONT COME WITH AN ANSWER LIKE ... "GO FETCH THE CODE AND PUT IT THERE. ... A PERSON A NEWBIE COMING FROM WINDOWS DOESNT KNOW HOW TO DO THOSE THINGSSS....

SO IF YOU WANT THIS PEPPERMINT TO BE ON THE TOP OF THE DISTROWATCH SITE ... YOU NEED TO PUT THESE ESSENTIAL THINGS THERE....

OF COURSE I DONT HAVE PEPPERMINT OS ... I HAVE LUBUNTU WHICH HAS THE SCREENSHOT TOOL LIKE I WANT. IT AUTOMATICALLY TAKES THE SCREENSHOT AND SAVES IT ON >>>> THE PICTURES FOLDER LIKE ITS SUPPOSE TO. NO FREAKING POP UP WINDOWS THANK GOD!!

THIS IS MY OPINION ..

SEE YOU

If you take the time like most linux distro's to customize you will find peppermint 5 is a great distro. it actually does have great tools
I have been able to do everything i did in the past with mac via peppermint that i was not able to do with windows easily.
a black theme? just download one of the many via gnome-look and install it it takes a few seconds. I haven't had any issues with
the screenshot tool also you can use your printscreen button to take a screenshot with out the use of a gui. The wallpaper seriously?
you can find ANY image online and use it as your wallpaper and with a click of a button change it! why even complain about that?
diigital click right click digital clock settings input "%a %l:%M %p" and you will have your standard day time fri 10:00 AM style clock
and if you wish to add the actual date you can input that as well. Seems like this isn't an issue with peppermint its an issue with you
not wanting to do customizing on your own if you have an issue doing that maybe linux isn't for you and you should go back to windows
where everything is laid out for you with out the option and freedom to set up your system the way you want? i choose freedom over laziness.
secondly typing in all caps and coming here so rudely isn't very polite. I hope i was helpful and maybe you will choose to give this amazing distro another shot
if not there are tons of us who love this great distro.
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Hi veggie, sorry to hear Peppermint Five doesn't meet your criteria.  Maybe if you had bothered to do some research and read Peppermint's mission statement.  You could have saved yourself a lot of time and frustration.  Alternatively, if you were experiencing difficulties or, needed advice; you could have just asked politely.  Someone here would have gladly helped you set up your system the way you like it.  It just takes a little common sense and courtesy.  Good luck with whatever distro you finally decide upon.  I hope it provides everything you need out of the box  ;)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Hi veggie

Sorry to hear about your issues

You should find all the help you need here

http://www.online-therapy.com/anger-management

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
c) an opinion about the screenshot tool .. easily changed [...]

The screenshot tool, by default, is setup pretty much the way I like it.  Personally, I prefer more delay, but that's just me.

That said , I've just been using 'scrot' lately.

Code: [Select]
scrot --delay 30

Simple pimple, and it works across all Linux platforms...  ;)

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
Great one, Graeme!    ;)

BTW, in case any of you don't know, you can execute scrot using alt/f2 and the screen shot is immediate and saved to your home folder. 
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
a) opinions about the appearance .. easily changed

d) an opinion about having the date displayed in the clock  by default .. again easily changed

Hope you don't mind me quoting your reply -- the OP's post gives me a headache...   >:(

IMO we really should add a dark theme in Peppermint 6.  It doesn't need to look like #! (recently deceased), but at least something mimicking older versions of Peppermint would be in order.  It no big deal to come up with a dark theme in Peppermint -- unless you're new to Linux, Gimp, et cetera.  Might save some frustration for new users, you know?

I wish the OP would have been a little more specific about the clock complaint.  I can't remember what the clock looked like in P2/P3.  Regardless of which distro I'm running, I ALWAYS need to change the format to my liking.  Again, that's no big deal.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
BTW, in case any of you don't know, you can execute scrot using alt/f2 and the screen shot is immediate and saved to your home folder.

Hi Mac,

Exactly!  I just add the 30 second delay, so I can do last minute adjustments.

Thx for adding that...   ;)

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
Hi veggie

Sorry to hear about your issues

You should find all the help you need here

http://www.online-therapy.com/anger-management

Graeme

haha ya really a bit irate here.
everyone on this forum and everyone involved with peppermint are so nice
and helpful to newcomers if it wasnt for all of you i would never be where i am now
with linux its a shame he had to start off this way.
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
[...] its a shame he had to start off this way.

I've found that a little 'Goa Trance' is efficacious in situations like this...

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Yep

these crap screenshot tools can really get to ya

http://videobin.org/+8n8/bid.html   >:(

Graeme
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:44:54 pm by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
I think he may have to buy a new monitor after that fiasco graeme, what do you think? well maybe it can be repaired, A little duct tape does wonders...   LOL   :P   
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40