Choose style:

Author Topic: running from the cd  (Read 1810 times)

Offline lmh

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
running from the cd
« on: April 12, 2014, 04:26:28 pm »
Hello,
I am looking to install a Linux Distro onto my Dell Desktop (Dimension 4400) and the Peppermint distro was recommended since it will fit onto a CD and this desktop only had a cd drive so a larger distro is not an option if I want to run it from the cd to see if I want to go with this version or another one.  The CD drive will not read DVD's either and despite the fact that the info for the drive states it will read and write to cd-rw's it will only write to a CD-R and I can't get it to read those written on the external dvd writer that is connected via usb.

Anyway, I did start the pc with the Peppermint CD that I made and was very easily able to get an internet connection.  However is there anything else that I can do with that CD running the program or am I sort of stuck with just doing that for now?  I did try to connect my printer (found drivers for it - Samsung ML-1210 laser printer).  But when I did that it told me that I had to go to system>administration (and then something else) regarding CUPS (or something like that) and I was not able to find the downloaded drivers either.  So I guess the second question is just where are the downloads located?

This desktop has been running XP Pro and I only use it occasionally but I can't see trashing it so I wanted to run a linux os instead but not sure which one which is why I wanted to check out Peppermint.  I got the download at http://peppermintos.com/guide/downloading/

Thanks So Very Much and I apologize for the stupid questions but I couldn't find this information on these things at the site for the user guide (http://peppermintos.com/guide/)

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
Re: running from the cd
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 06:46:55 pm »
What version of Peppermint are you running via Live CD? 
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 07:07:41 pm »
There's no point in installing anything like printer drivers whilst running Peppermint from a LiveCD as they'll be lost when you reboot ... they cannot be saved to a CD.

So you need to decide if you want to install Peppermint or not ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 04:20:11 am »
Hi,

Following up on PCNetSpec's post, I would suggest just going ahead and installing Peppermint on your computer!! Try it out for a while, and, if you don't find it right for you (but I can't really imagine that happening  :P ), it is then easy to install a different Linux distro in place of Peppermint.

For tips on how to install Peppermint next to your Win-XP you might try searching through our old (read-only) forum (no login necessary) because it is loaded with such information. If you find that you still need additional help, then come back to this forum and you'll get quick and friendly advice from the experts!  8)

Best regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 07:38:22 am »
I'd go one further than One.Fatz.  Just ditch WinXP.  Its a dead duck and is going to rapidly become more and more vulnerable.  It was already looking like a Swiss cheese by the time MS pulled the plug on it. Check out this link: Still Using WinXP.  Just back up all your critical data to a separate location  - Docs, Photos, Music etc.  Then do a full Peppermint installation;  "nuke and pave" your machine!  As long as your critical data is safe,  you can distro hop until you find the right one for your needs.  I can say with confidence  that Peppermint is the most new user friendly distro that I've found.  The unofficial "Unique Selling Point"  for Peppermint is the forums IMHO.  There's a wealth of info in the old forum too.  Old Peppermint Forums.  There are years of info and solutions here.  It is read only and is going to be available for the foreseeable future.  Good luck and have fun  ;)!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 09:53:43 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.