Author Topic: Just bought a Asus eee pc 701  (Read 4637 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Just bought a Asus eee pc 701
« on: March 01, 2015, 02:07:33 pm »
Hi all, how's it going?  I managed to pick up a good deal today.  Just for a bit of fun, I bought on Marktplaats an Asus eee pc 701.  It has a little Intel Celeron-M processor underclocked at 633 Mhz.  This can be brought back to 900 Mhz in the BIOS.  It has a 16GB SSD and an SD memory expansion slot - 32 GB max.  It only has 512 MiB of DDR2 RAM but that can be easily and cheaply upgraded to 2GB.  It has the obsolete, OS: Xandros Linux installed, whatever that was  :-\.  I guess Peppermint Five 32bit will install with no problems.  The Celeron-M has a pae flag.  All for the massive price of - wait for it - drum roll please - €20  :o.  Hopefully, It should be a nice little light weight web machine.  Good for YouTube, Netfix and light web stuff.  It should arrive in a few days.  I'm looking forward having a play around with it and seeing how it performs - it should be fun  :).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 02:09:18 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Online rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: Just bought a Asus eee pc 701
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 02:16:34 pm »
sounds good...   I love mine, i have the atom 1666mhz processor though and two gigs ram and standard sata 160 gig drive...    I got mine on ebay for 75 dollars with ubuntu installed on it needless to say that came off immediately...  LOL    :P
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 02:26:45 pm »
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to receiving it.  I have absolutely zero experience with SSDs, so I'm very interested to learn about their ins and outs  :D.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 03:08:15 pm »
The SSD on that (like the one on my AA1) is not like the modern super fast SATA3 SSD's .. in fact it'll likely perform about the same as an HDD but it'll have the benefit of not getting damaged the first time you knock the netbook :)
(downsides are limited space and limited write cycles)

Peppermint 5 will run, but you're going to want to upgrade the RAM, as a modern web browser will immediately top out 512MB and start to use the swap file, which besides the huge performance loss is NOT something you want to have happen on an SSD as it'll wear it out faster.

Seriously .. get some more RAM now (in fact max it out with 2GB so you can turn down swappiness) :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:10:41 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline mattosensei

• Linux with 'L' plates
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 03:22:08 pm »
Congrats! I also have a netbook - a Samsung NC10 which is 6.5 years old now and still going strong. As per the link, runs PM 5 32-bit no problem. I did upgrade the RAM a while back to 2 GB. In my early Peppermint Linux days (post WinXP) I did have some problems with not being able to change the screen brightness but this was fixable with a BIOS update in the end.

I find turning 'desktop effects' off is a good idea on a netbook. In most respects it runs fairly well. Internet can slow down if too many tabs plus extensions also tend to slow it down a bit. I can stream 720p no problem (can't stream 1080p smoothly but that's no deal-breaker).

Weirdly, even though I have a new MacbookAir (bought as a treat to myself when I was working in the US last autumn and it was on offer at BestBuy, far cheaper than I could ever buy it in the UK  :-X) - I still enjoy jumping on the old lower-powered netbook  :P

Enjoy your new toy :D

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 03:31:46 pm »
Will any laptop memory will do the trick, such as: Memory for Laptop DDR2 667MHZ PC5300 2GB SODIMM?

@ mattosensei:  Thanks, I'm really pleased.  It looks like a lot of fun.  Your machine has a bit more umph than the one I just purchased.  I'm sure it will run fine though  ;).

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 03:39:27 pm »
you got it batman :)

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/ASUS/eee-pc-701

Steer clear of high density modules ;)

[EDIT]

You're lucky .. to upgrade the memory in an Aspire One you have to dismantle the whole netboook including removing the motherboard .. looks easy for an EeePC 701

or

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:52:15 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 04:16:18 pm »
I checked out YouTube maintenance/upgrading videos before I bought the thing  ;).  I just bought 2GB of RAM.  Now to see if I have a 32GB SD card lurking in a crevice somewhere.  Should I leave that formatted as FAT32?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 05:45:07 pm »
That's the way I have it set up .. I only use the SD card for storage so file system isn't so important, I figured at some point I may want to used it to transfer something to a Windows PC so I left it as FAT32

That said, I haven't actually used it for that, so I could just as easily have used a Linux file system.

As long as you don't go nuts installing unnecessary stuff, 16GB is plenty for Peppermint, any large stuff (video's etc.) gets bunged on my NAS (which I automount at boot via fstab so it appears as a local directory) so the SD card really doesn't get much use.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:50:38 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 10:18:28 am »
Nice one Andy, those EeePC's are great little machines. Very tiny, I used to run Peppermint 3 on one with a 4 GB SSD.
Peppermint user since Fire / Ice

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 10:39:03 am »
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to receiving it.  It should be here either tomorrow or Friday.  I've also got 2GB of RAM for it and I've found a 32GB SD card.   It should be a sweet little machine.  It'll make a change from my Fujitsu Siemens AMILO li3710 with its 16" screen.  I can recommend this machine for anyone wanting to run Linux.  Peppermint goes like a rocket on it.  I'm sure the Eee pc won't come close to performance.  It still looks like a lot of fun though and for €20, I couldn't resist it  ;).