Choose style:

Author Topic: Why Such a Dislike and Lack of Adoption for the Unity Desktop?  (Read 18259 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Why Such a Dislike and Lack of Adoption for the Unity Desktop?
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2015, 08:28:18 am »
I've decided on a new word for the arch "flame" type responses to new user questions.

There will be no flarching allowed here ;)

Couldn't agree more about their forum and wiki being about the best repositories of Linux info out there
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2015, 11:53:17 am »
My last two mornings were spent removing, and humanely relocating, two young and adorable skunks from under our front porch and bringing them to a new habitat several miles away -- a habitat more accommodating to these creatures' specialized skills and unique personalities. 

These last two mornings have lead me to believe that PCNetSpec is correct.  All flarching against Arch must stop here.  I know from recent experience that a seemingly rare and innocent flarch can, in short order, turn into a barrage of insufferable triple flutterblasts -- hence the removal and relocation our four-legged friends mentioned above.

This being said, there is a flarchlike element to Arch. :-X   It was not Mr. Personality who wrote the FAQ for ArchLinux.  The writer might as well have said that newbies are to suffer in silence, and that the Arch forum is for the elites, or for Linux gurus.  Still, in fairness to the writer, he does give the newbie fair warning.

Arch is targeted more towards advanced GNU/Linux users... --Arch Wiki

So how does one become a more knowledgeable user of Linux and still have fun?   :-\  I'm thinking of playing with Manjaro's Net Edition, and then building from there.  But what about Gentoo? (Gentoo seems very complicated but Arch-like, and with a reasonably friendly forum.)   Or should one put Arch on a 16GB flashdrive, and then just plug away at it little by little?

I've noticed that Arch, Manjaro, and Gentoo are all staying clear of the Unity desktop.  I've also noticed that the community build of Gnome seems to very popular over at Manjaro these days.

P.S.

Update:

Scratch the idea of starting with a Manjaro Net Installation.  Although the SHA1 and MD5 checksums matched correctly.  I couldn't install this particular Manjaro distro to a DVD;  even though I ruined one trying!  And, when I tried to boot from a flash drive, my computer experienced a kernel panic -- my computer's first!  :o

Fortunately, AndyInMokum's check disks commands were at my fingertips.  My computer is fine:  my Peppermint and MATE installations were left unscathed!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 02:27:38 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2015, 01:32:06 pm »
No "flentooing" either.

"Flanjaring" on the other hand (as long as it's aimed at a "manjaroo" or a "womanjaroo") may be tolerated....

[EDIT]

And don't even get me started on flaming of/for the UCK team  :o
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 02:36:55 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2015, 02:12:21 pm »
Hey wait a minute why does the UCK team get a free pass from flaming???   :P
I think we should be able to flame those Fl***ers too...   ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 02:28:42 pm by PCNetSpec, Reason: too close for comfort .. didn\'t need to be in print »
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2015, 02:27:08 pm »
Nope this is not a florum, only their mothers are allowed to flame them.....

and please don't .. it doesn't need to be in print ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 02:33:56 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2015, 03:00:42 pm »
I know I guy who taught himself Gentoo. When I asked him how he did it, he said he locked himself in a room for 1 year and studied it. He told me to do the same, I am not sure if I would survive the year. I am still very much in the shallow end of the pool and I don't enjoy braking stuff and having to reinstall.
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2015, 03:26:49 pm »
You know PCNetSpec, that fabled Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat, that Unity destroyed, and that is considered by many to be the best DE Ubuntu ever produced;  well, that DE still exists.  Yes, believe it or not, some odd group of Ubuntuites created an edition of Ubuntu based on 10.10 Maverick Meerkat.  Maverick Meerkat has now been recast and modified as Ubuntu Satanic edition.  Yes, strange, I know, but this means your assessment of Ubuntu's best DE having gone straight to blank in a hand basket may be closer to reality than even you could have imagined!

Yeah, I'm sure these guys, although a little twisted, must have done this as a joke (although I suspect this distro must have now attracted their fair share of creeple people) -- but, most importantly,  there's still an updated and supported version of Ubuntu 10.10 in existence!  :)

I watched some of the YouTube video Mum Tries Out Ubuntu Satanic Edition 666.9 by OSFirstTimer.  At the beginning of the video it was like silly Halloween prank that this woman played along with with her son for a little fun.  But about half way through the video you could see that this poor lady was completely weirded out by the whole distro -- due to its art and special effects.

But what I'm thinking is, there must be a way to get rid of the special effects that were added to this strange edition of classic Ubuntu, and get back a nice clean updated Maverick Meerkat -- after all this is open source.

Maybe you already knew about this info, but this news caught me by surprise, and I found it both interesting and quite bizarre.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2015, 03:40:29 pm »
Yeah I already knew about Ubuntu SE mores the pity....

10.10 was just the last version of Ubuntu with the Gnome 2.x DE .. MATE is a fork of Gnome 2.x intended to keep it alive .. so really Ubuntu MATE is the closest direct descendant of Maverick Meerkat with Mint MATE now coming in a close second.

Ubuntu SE and the flipside Ubuntu CE are just weird  .. but each to their own I suppose.

And we'll just not visit Hannah Montana Linux and Justin Bieber Linux  ::)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 03:46:06 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2015, 05:41:04 pm »
@PCNetSpec

Behind all the smoke, mirrors, and silly theatrics , MATE is what I saw when I took a look at Ubuntu SE.  How I'd love to see Ubuntu MATE take off, and go deeply into the consciousness of the Ubuntu community.  Ubuntu MATE really is an excellent distro.

@10i

I know I guy who taught himself Gentoo. When I asked him how he did it, he said he locked himself in a room for 1 year and studied it. He told me to do the same, I am not sure if I would survive the year. I am still very much in the shallow end of the pool and I don't enjoy breaking stuff and having to reinstall.

I believe that's just about what it takes.  I suspect if you learned Gentoo, you wouldn't need much help from Arch Linux' forum after all.  That is if you decided you even wanted to install Arch after knowing how to run Gentoo!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:04:37 pm by perknh »

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2015, 06:00:39 pm »
I wonder why nobody ever made a turd linux with built in fart sounds, see I would download and install that just for laughs...  LOL   :o
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2015, 06:54:47 pm »
They already did.  I think it's called Android!  ;)

That thing makes more gassly sounds than I know what to do with.  >:(

P.S.

Given a choice between Android and Unity, I'd take Unity any ole day.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:03:18 pm by perknh »

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2015, 07:25:48 pm »
what android do you run???  I have 6 tablets here that i run android on all day long and they don't make any sounds except for the tap sound when you tap something... 
given a choice between android and unity i still say unity sucks there is nothing worse then unity it is the worst thing they ever made....  And they lost me as a customer for switching to it...  :)  I'll send my money to linux mint now hmm wonder what they charge, oh yeah its free never mind...  LOL  :P
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2015, 09:30:59 pm »
l'm thinking of Straight Talk's Samsung Galaxy S4 phone.  Walmart's Straight Talk is obnoxious, trying to convince users (frequently those who are foreign born and who's second language is English) to activate their service card immediately instead of placing their funds automatically in reserve until the customer uses up the time they have already paid for.  Yeah, Straight Talk has a little con game going on with its foreign born customer base, I promise you that-- just in case you've never heard their recordings.

Also, I'm talking about Android's noises when it boots up, shuts off, or the sounds it makes when it becomes fully charged.  And, metaphorically I'm talking about all the fine print to which you have to agree before you can use any of Google's services.  Yeah, those "agreements" stink too.  Yes, there may be a Linux kernel somewhere in that device, but I can't find the word Linux anywhere within the fine print within the phone.  It may be Linux, but it's certainly not GNU/Linux.  Maybe it's called Dalvik Linux, or something like that, but I can't even update the phone's darn kernel -- which means the phone is slowly but surely being forced into an untimely obsolescence.  >:( 

No, I still prefer Unity to Android.  And I realize now, thanks to this thread, that you longtime Ubuntu users really did get the short end of the stick when Unity took over.  I get that, and I even sent some coffee money over to Ubuntu's MATE team to help get you poor buggers up and running again with an improved Maverick Meerkat.  It's just that I think everybody these days is getting the short end of the stick with Android.

I understand you're sore with what Unity did, and justifiably so.  I'm sore too with what Android is doing right now; and what's worse than this, from what I can see, all cell phones will eventually become Android, or an iPhone (iTurd), whether I like it or not.  Personally I can't stand the cost, the trickery, or the so-called agreed upon invasion of our privacy with Android.  No, Android doesn't rock my boat -- but this just seems to be me with a particular set of peculiar grievances.  Just about everybody I see nowadays has either an Android, or an iPhone, or an iTurd, or whatever they're popularly called.  I'm just about the only man left standing with a dumb phone.  ???

I have 6 tablets here that i run android on all day long... --rjm65

Don't worry, rjm65, despite my feelings, I just kicked out $45 tonight to help keep Android rolling in the bucks as I placed more money in Straight Talk's "reserve."  I'm helping to carry the world into Android whether I want to or not.

P.S.

An update:

See the nightmare doesn't go away.  I can't get away from Android.  Now we're going to have to deal with this with our Chromebook:

Google Is Bringing Android’s ‘Google Now’ To Chromebooks by Thomas Halleck of International Business Times

http://www.ibtimes.com/google-bringing-androids-google-now-chromebooks-1862492
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 09:56:24 pm by perknh »

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2015, 08:30:35 am »
my android tablets make no noises on startup or shutdown however when battery is full it plays your default sound which you can change with one of the 25 built in sounds or choose NONE...  So all I can say is buy a tablet, cause the android on your phone is nothing like a tablet pc....  :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2015, 10:06:41 am »
Good morning, rjm65,

We also have an old Android tablet here, but it's about 3 years.  Unfortunately it now runs as slow as cold molasses.  But I see people all the time, at cafes, and at McDonald's, with newer and and larger tablets.  There's got to be something going on with these devices that people like.  If my wife wants one, I'll get one for her; but right now she's enjoying her Chromebook a great deal.  And if Google begins adding Android apts, or Android functionality to it, I'm sure she'll be even a happier with it than she is right now.  :)  (She has Peppermint installed on her laptop.)

Now, rjm65, I know you, as well as many others here, had a miserable experience with Ubuntu when it adopted Unity as its default DE.  But, on one of your earlier posts, you had expressed a curiosity about the new Ubuntu MATE.  Now that some time has passed, have you ever gotten a chance to check the new Ubuntu MATE out?  And, if so, what do you think of it?

Most of us here agree that MATE is a wonderful distribution, and a breath of fresh air to what has been a very frustrated Ubuntu community.

perknh