Choose style:

Author Topic: Why Such a Dislike and Lack of Adoption for the Unity Desktop?  (Read 18304 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Why Such a Dislike and Lack of Adoption for the Unity Desktop?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 09:49:01 am »
Nah, rant is definitely over .. soapbox is now vacant :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 01:50:56 pm »
Unity is the main reason people are leaving Ubuntu, I dislike it and the Metro interface of Windows 8.

Give me choice: classic shell to bring back the start menu for Windows and LXDE for Linux.
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 06:52:20 pm »
This has been an interesting conversation.  All I can tell you is that I find the entire phenomenon of Ubuntu and its various derivatives fascinating.  And, from what I can see, Ubuntu's GNOME-based Unity desktop environment is, as emegra has said, the flagship distribution within Linux.  And what makes Ubuntu's Unity DE so interesting is that it is both brilliant and flawed.

Many here have said they don't like the lack of customization options within Unity.  Those here who say this are right about that.  There isn't much one can customize in Unity.  If however one likes the way Unity is preconfigured, then the end user is all set.  My wife and I fortunately fall into this latter category.  Unity's DE is very easy to use.

I do have some issues with Unity however.  It can still be buggy.  Last night, after updating in 14.04.2 Unity, my computer froze.  I waited and waited, and then tried innumerable times to use R E I S U B -- all to no avail.  I had to do a hard shutdown, and after that I had to install Peppermint and Ubuntu back onto the two hard drives I use,  That was a pain.  But even worse than a couple of miserable updating experiences within Unity is the bloatware factor.  I happen to agree with Richard Stallman that searching within Dash, especially without knowing the trick of how to opt out of handing over your data to various commercial interests, is a form of spying on unaware users.  If anything, allowing Amazon, or whatever other interested third party, to collect your search data should be an opt-in process; or, better yet, should not be in the distribution at all.  With Richard Stallman, I agree on that particular point.  (All those third-party plugins are bloatware and resource hogs.)

I should note I have so far found Trisquel, which is another GNOME-based Ubuntu derivative, and the FSF browser that Richard Stallman uses, to be completely un-user friendly.  He would say I'm valuing convenience over privacy and freedom.  But, I would say I need a distribution that works well and values privacy and freedom.  Even Chromium browser, the last I knew, was considered unacceptable by Trisquel and the FSF.  In my opinion, that's pushing a principle a little too far -- principled to a fault!

At the end of the day, the two most user friendly Linux distributions I've ever used are Ubuntu's Unity and Peppermint OS.  In this house, we've got two Peppermint installations and one installation of Unity.  And although my wife enjoys Ubuntu's DE, she prefers and runs Peppermint on her computer.  I run both Peppermint and Unity*.  Peppermint is easy to use, customizable, and fast.  Unity is easy to use, quite intuitive, and getting faster all of the time -- despite its bloatware!   

Perhaps PCNetSpec hit the nail on the head when he mentioned Canonical's boardroom.  A little more listening to the valid concerns of Ubuntu's loyal and true users would be helpful in the development, and adoption, of Ubuntu's Unity DE.  Time will tell what direction Unity will go from here.

*When I get tired of Unity, I switch over to Ubuntu's MATE LTS. (But, right now, I'm waiting for MATE to bump up to LTS 14.04.2.  Should happen any day, I think.)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 07:58:02 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 05:57:14 pm »
Hello Peppermint Nation,

I just spent the last couple of days playing with Ubuntu's GNOME desktop.  And the first thing I noticed about Ubuntu's GNOME DE is that it looked, and felt, like an earlier, and rougher, version of Unity Desktop.  GNOME seems to be a winner, and perhaps even a victim of its own success -- meaning it has been adopted and modified into numerous desktop environments such as MATE, Unity, and Cinnamon which must be now collectively even more popular than GNOME itself.  (I know Fedora is big into GNOME DE.)

If what I'm saying is so; why such a dislike for Unity?*  This dislike of Unity within the Linux community seems almost visceral to me. And only a few distributions, if that, have adopted Unity as a desktop environment.

I'm not getting it.  :-\

Thank you,

perknh

* The privacy issues of Unity can turned off with a couple of clicks.  And, as for sluggishness, Unity appears to be getting faster and faster with each release.  I've been finding Unity within Utopic Unicorn to be terrific.  Unfortunately it only has several more months of support.  Also one can easily uninstall Amazon.

i dont care for all the 'bloat' as was said above i also dont liek the side dock i think its just ugly in my opinion.
I prefer something much more minimalistic. i dont know each person is different but for me i just find it
a bit too much for my taste.
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 07:51:58 pm »
Hi iamesperambient,

I'm not trying to sell you on Unity, but you can hide the side launcher within Unity if you want.  You go into System Settings > Personal > Appearence > Behavior > Auto-hide the Launcher > Turn from Off to On.

As for the bloat; well you can remove Amazon, from within Ubuntu's Software Manager, and you can go into Security & Privacy and turn a couple things off in Search and Files & Applications.  But, yeah, Unity is pretty well stuffed with programs and plugins.

perknh

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 11:06:54 am »
i hear ya but i dont see the need. i have the LTS support of ubuntu, but no bloat with peppermint
and the customization i wanted to be able to set my desktop exactly how i want it. Its faster
cleaner, more efficient for how i use a computer. to me peppermint vs ubuntu its a no brainer
i honestly dont ever see changing distros.  but it is good to know i can remove that ugly side bar.
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 07:49:51 pm »
Hi  iamesperambient,

Right now, I'm giving GNOME another try.  When I talk about GNOME, I want to be able to give it a fair assessment.

In case you didn't see it, I edited the very first post of this discussion.  I put a link in for you at the end of the very first post.  In that YouTube Video Nixie Pixel compares and contrasts GNOME Shell with Unity.  I put the link in code format for you as well as in a ready-to-go video format for the rest of Peppermint Nation and our guests.   You may find what Nixie Pixel says concerning GNOME and Unity interesting.

perknh

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 08:23:54 am »
The only way i was able to use ubuntu after they went to unity was i found a way to install the old classic gnome shell they had before unity and then logged in that way...  but as far a unity goes it just plain sucks, and I can not fathom why anyone would even like it, or attempt to like it, or force themselves to like it for that matter....   :-\
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 09:32:27 am »
What he said :)

The HUD is a good idea .. the rest of the UX definitely comes prefixed with an S ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:41:45 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 04:42:01 pm »
The HUD is a good idea .. the rest of the UX definitely comes prefixed with an S

Ok let me guess
Superb ?
Super Dooper ?
Snappy ?
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 05:17:03 pm »
The HUD is a good idea .. the rest of the UX definitely comes prefixed with an S

Ok let me guess
Superb ?
Super Dooper ?
Snappy ?
I have this feeling he wanted you to take the letters UX and add the prefix of S in front of the UX...   :D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 06:54:01 pm by rjm65 »
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 06:44:48 pm »
The HUD is a good idea .. the rest of the UX definitely comes prefixed with an S ;)

But, wait, you forgot the best part of Unity...   :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 06:49:10 pm »
Ok let me guess
Superb ?
Super Dooper ?
Snappy ?

Erm, there's most definitely an adjective that starts with 'S' that springs to mind .. but it's not in your list ;)

But, wait, you forgot the best part of Unity...

Am I missing something here.....

What's compiz got to do with Unity ? .. you can get compiz including the desktop cube working in Peppermint  :-\
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 06:50:51 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 06:53:50 pm »
But, wait, you forgot the best part of Unity...

Am I missing something here.....

What's compiz got to do with Unity ? .. you can get compiz including the desktop cube working in Peppermint  :-\

Not at all!

The nice thing is, Peppermint will work without it...   ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2015, 07:00:48 pm »
Ahh right gotcha .. sarcasm :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:03:07 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec