Choose style:

Author Topic: Why Such a Dislike and Lack of Adoption for the Unity Desktop?  (Read 18158 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Why Such a Dislike and Lack of Adoption for the Unity Desktop?
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2015, 07:07:28 pm »
Biggest bunch of drivel I've read in  while

I, personally, think that having multiple desktops is one of Linux' strongest suits.  But since Jack Wallen, who is a very good writer, a very bright guy, and a Linux lover, brought this subject up; I thought his opinion belonged in this thread.  Within this article he had such a strong focus on Canoncal's decision to adopt the Unity desktop, I felt an obligation to post it here.

I know I'm the only guy at Peppermint who will admit he likes Unity -- even though I'll admit Unity is a tremendous resource hog, is set by default to invade everybody's privacy, and has a pathetic history.  My wish, however, is that Unity would lighten up a bit -- resource-wise and on wanting all our personal info.

That being said, in this house, we're running two installations of Peppermint, and one of Ubuntu MATE -- nada más! ;)

And the thread goes one... :)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2015, 07:17:49 pm »
Quote from: PCNetSpec on Today at 00:30:55:.."Windows users don't like the new metaphor either (mac users don't count as they'd buy a turd if it had an apple logo on it and was priced so they could feel elitist)........"
Lets get it right.  We don't want Tim Cook sending in the lawyers - it's an iTurd for God's sake  ;D!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2015, 07:54:53 pm »
You know, AndyInMokum, they* did a study here in the U.S. and it was discovered that some Airline Internet ticket vendors set their ticket prices by which OS the purchaser was using at the time they where making their purchases.  In this study it was determined that Apple users paid more for the same ticket that Windows users bought. (I not making this stuff up, I'm sorry to say!)

Fortunately for us, I've always kept away from Apple as if it was the plague.  Naturally I'm hoping that us Linux users will get best break of all when purchasing anything.  I'm hoping this because I suspect most of us Linux users will be the users who will need this break the most!  ;D

* http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/mac-users-higher-hotel-prices-orbitz/story?id=16650014

P.S.

Therefore I conclude this:  If any device from Apple ends up being called an iTurd, it will because the poor buggers using it will be crapped on the most.  :D

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:47:52 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2015, 08:18:28 pm »
If any device from Apple ends up being called an iTurd

Believe me, they already are :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2015, 10:54:36 pm »
 ;D

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2015, 09:23:45 am »
all you need to do if you want to be a happy camper is install LXLE it is the only linux I have seen that had like 5 DE's built into it...  install it and if you don't like the default of lxde then switch it to unity or even apple for that matter...  but don't gripe about a desktop, when their is a distro out there with multiple desktops not to mention it installs every program a user would want to have and isn't stripped to bare bones like peppermint is...  this is the one reason I always go with linux mint cinnamon over peppermint is because when I do a peppermint install i have to add all the programs, when I do a mint install i am done...  want to make the perfect distro??? you have to keep in mind what the users want like mint has done, and take a copy of mint and add 5 DE's to it like LXLE did and walla you are the best....  :P
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2015, 09:27:09 am »
But if I installed LxLE, what would I complain about?

;)
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2015, 09:51:55 am »
As much as I like Mint, (especially the Cinnamon DE  ;)).  I find it hard work to setup the way I want it.  First I have to remove all the stuff they've decided I want and need.  I then have to install the stuff I need and want to use.  The thing that attracted me to Peppermint was the lack of pre-installed software.  No one had decided my preferences for me - fantastic  ;)!!  I like that I get a working stable distro that's a blank canvas.  In the user guide, there are plenty of nOObcentric instructions for anyone to easily create thier own unique distro.  This and having the Ice app to create easy Cloud integration, is for me a no brainer.  Plus, I found it was really enjoyable to do and I have learnt a huge amount in the process.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2015, 11:19:35 am »
Quote from: rjm65
this is the one reason I always go with linux mint cinnamon over peppermint is because when I do a peppermint install i have to add all the programs, when I do a mint install i am done

I'm with Andy here .. I don't want the distro developers making software choices for me, I inevitably have to spend time working out what some unrecognised software does then decide if I want to keep it, then figure out how to FULLY and cleanly remove the stuff I don't want, then install the stuff I do.

For me it's MUCH easier to have a fairly bare bones "blank canvas" and just install what *I* want, nothing more, nothing less

There are other minimal install distros out there, but they have pretty much ZERO functionality OOTB, whereas Peppermint's ice allows Peppermint to be fully functional OOTB without having made locally installed choices for you, so nothing to uninstall

In any case we've tried to make "purposing" your Peppermint install as easy as possible with the "Peppermint <purpose> Pack" metapackages, where you can install a ton of software with a few clicks

Available packs are:-
peppermint-office-pack
peppermint-photography-pack
peppermint-graphic-arts-pack
peppermint-build-tools-pack
peppermint-networking-pack
peppermint-kids-edutainment-pack

I don't get why people whine when they get a laptop with pre-installed OEM chosen software (crying out for a clean Windows only setup), yet want pre-installed stuff in a Linux distro ?

BIG difference between "easy to install" and "thrust upon you" ;)

As for LXLE .. totally different ethos to Peppermint .. LXLE aren't an "everything including the kitchen sink" distro, they're a "everything including 6 kitchen sinks, 5 bathroom sinks, and dual sinks in the shed" distro, and sod you if you don't like unused stuff clogging your hard drive (or worse SSD).
Nothing wrong with that approach .. it's just different to what we're about ;)

Kinda the antitheses of Peppermints "minimal locally installed apps" ethos don't you think  :P

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:52:27 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2015, 03:03:19 pm »
I look at Unity as if the OS were a suite.  It's got EVERYTHING in it, and it's set by default to call home with your personal business too!  ::)  So, when I install Unity, the first thing I do is go into the privacy settings, and turn everything off. (I wonder, also, if such a heavy OS is harmful to one's laptop in the long run.  This I do not know.)  :-\

I find Peppermint and Ubuntu MATE to be quite similar to each other.  I Peppermintize MATE, and after I set it up, so I have look twice to see if I'm using MATE or using Peppermint.  But if I could make one change to Peppermint, it would be to add Firefox as an optional browser alongside Chromium browser.  The reason being, a lot of old computers do not play well with these later versions of Chromium and Chrome.  (We use Chromium at our house, but than our computers are only two to three years old.)

The distro I've always said I'm going to learn, but then never do, is Arch Linux.  I've heard it's a very customizable distro.  I don't know if I have either the brains, or the patience, to learn the thing.  But, then, if I do learn it, I would want it be like Peppermint or MATE anyway.  So then I ask myself, "What's the point?"  :-\

But what makes Peppermint Linux OS rock more than any other distro is this very forum.  I know there are a lot of fine distros out there, and Peppermint is as good as any distro I've ever see, and a lot better than many.  But is Peppermint forum it or what?  :)  The first thing I do when I check my email is to see if anything is happening at Peppermint.  The people behind this distro is what brings this distro to life.  It's the community of users here, who come from all over the world, who make this distribution stand out from the crowd. 

It's Peppermint's forum that rocks!  :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:22:20 pm by perknh »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2015, 05:47:22 pm »
Well said that man  ;)!!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2015, 07:13:21 pm »
+1 for the Peppermint community rocking :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2015, 05:34:22 am »
Also +1 for the Peppermint forum!!  ;)

In fact, the one thing that bothers me about Arch Linux is the forum. What a bunch of snobby ultra-geeks!  :-[ I understand that probably 75% or more of the questions posed on their forum have already been asked and solved on their forum, but the tone of the replies is often really overboard!! Rather say nothing than give such insulting, derogatory replies as some of the experts there give to noobs. The Peppermint community is much more civil and friendly.

The Linux information on the Arch forum and the Arch Wiki is, however, really first rate. Just don't expect much in the way of personal help -- on the Arch forum it's pretty much search, find and do-it-yourself. Definitely not the place for some of our Peppermint users (I refrain from naming anyone in particular)!!

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2015, 06:53:09 am »
Yup, you have to tread carefully with the Arch gang.  They have a low tolerance threshold for us mere mortals  :(.  Their wiki is second to none though.  So maybe we can accept this with gratitude and realize that we're NEVER going to be quite like them  ;D!!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:00:12 am by AndyInMokum »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2015, 07:45:07 am »
Well ... I could certainly try to be like them. Of course, I would be banned from this forum immediately!  :D

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome